Need new heat pump system

After 20 years, it seems my heat pump system needs replacing. I wonder if anyone has had theirs replaced lately. If so, who would you recommend and anyone have a ballpark figure on what it costs? I need to replace my inside and outside units. Thanks

Vince

Haven't had mine done yet and it's about the same age. Still working (keeping fingers crossed). New units run about 8K last time I checked, but don't quote me. Get a couple estimates.

After 20 years, it seems my heat pump system needs replacing. I wonder if anyone has had theirs replaced lately. If so, who would you recommend and anyone have a ballpark figure on what it costs? I need to replace my inside and outside units. Thanks

I think mine was 4500, but that was just the outside unit the A coil inside and the thermostat. That was three years ago.

Last edited:
R

remaxrealtor

I have used Great Mills Heating and AC for years. Their prices are very fair and the customer service is OUTSTANDING!

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Iceman, Inc. 240-298-9060

Came highly recommended on here. I used him last spring. Complete replacement with a Rheem system. Indoor unit, outdoor unit, T-stat, all lines, new disconnect, EVERYTHING!! Did it in one day. Got a 16 seer system for a little over $5K with a $500.00 rebate gift card from Rheem. Net cost, a lil over $4,500.00 for the best system.

He quoted me 3 prices: 10 seer $3K, 13 seer $4K & the best system 16 seer at $5K. Very quiet and efficient system. :yay:

He's more of a ma & pa operation but he works hard & I'm very satisfied.

Vince

Came highly recommended on here. I used him last spring. Complete replacement with a Rheem system. Indoor unit, outdoor unit, T-stat, all lines, new disconnect, EVERYTHING!! Did it in one day. Got a 16 seer system for a little over $5K with a $500.00 rebate gift card from Rheem. Net cost, a lil over $4,500.00 for the best system.

He quoted me 3 prices: 10 seer $3K, 13 seer $4K & the best system 16 seer at $5K. Very quiet and efficient system. :yay:

Sounds good to me. I'm going to need one very soon also as mine is over 20 years old. But I know it will last longer because I only use it half the time. For heat I've always had a wood stove insert in the fireplace and now a pellet stove so the heat pump only got used in the summer for AC. Had to kick it on a couple times in the winter just to make sure it still worked.

jrmy1080

Where do you get your pellets from? I just moved into my new house and have one the previous owner use to get it in bulk but don't know where.

I'll be doing the same thing soon my systems 17 yrs old

Choklatjunkeee

Had mine go out within 2 months of buying my house. Got new system from Nance in Lusby. Have saved HUNDREDS in new updated system.

Vince

Where do you get your pellets from? I just moved into my new house and have one the previous owner use to get it in bulk but don't know where.

I'll be doing the same thing soon my systems 17 yrs old
Location? I get mine from ACE hardware in Lusby. I usually get a ton at a time around $400 delivered. Burn about 2 1/2 ton a winter. HAMMER brand.

NBF

Does anyone know if the Iceman is still in business? If so, any inputs from those using him to replace their RHEEM units? I need one heat pump and air exchange ASAP in my attic and would be interested to hear.

Thanks!

NBF

Blister

Make sure you Check with Smeco and also look to see if there are still Fed and State tax credits.

officeguy

Make sure you Check with Smeco and also look to see if there are still Fed and State tax credits.

I received a SMECO credit just a couple of months ago. Just make sure your contractor either turns in the paperwork or gives you the paperwork to send it to SMECO. There is a time limit on the filing and some mom&pop places are so busy that they may forget to file in time.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Does anyone know if the Iceman is still in business? If so, any inputs from those using him to replace their RHEEM units? I need one heat pump and air exchange ASAP in my attic and would be interested to hear.

Thanks!

NBF

Did you call him?

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Does anyone know if the Iceman is still in business? If so, any inputs from those using him to replace their RHEEM units? I need one heat pump and air exchange ASAP in my attic and would be interested to hear. NBF
Do yourself a favor and get 3 quotes from three reputable local companies. Just because someone had a good experience with one guy, does not mean that you will get a repeat performance. Plus, you have no real idea why they are plugging this person.

If you can afford it and want a quiet, efficient system, look for a system with both a variable speed compressor and a variable speed air handler. Mine is so quiet in the summer in AC mode, that I rarely know it is running, unlike the old system which used to sound like a jet engine warming up.

P.S. The manufacturers typically start giving rebates this time of year or a little later. SMECO energy efficiency rebates typically only offered on most efficient systems these days.

officeguy

If you can afford it and want a quiet, efficient system, look for a system with both a variable speed compressor and a variable speed air handler. Mine is so quiet in the summer in AC mode, that I rarely know it is running, unlike the old system which used to sound like a jet engine warming up.

This !

I dont miss the 'clonk' of the old system cycling on and off.

The downside of the newfangled multi-speed systems is that the controls are much more complicated than they used to be. On my new system, I had the communicating thermostat go haywire and you can't just go to home depot and pick up a honeywell to replace it. The communicating thermostats are proprietary. A Carrier thermostat will drive only a Carrier or Bryant heat pump. A Rheem thermostat will only drive Rheem, Weathercube and other units of that family of brands. In terms of supportability, the controls and all the little panels that come with them will be a bit of a liability once warranties expire.

I was advised to stay away from the top of the line 20+SEER models that use inverter controlled variable speed compressors or two compressor setups (top of the line Trane). According to several HVAC people I spoke to, they can be a real problem to support if something breaks. Often a factory tech has to come out to figure out what's wrong. The Copeland 2-speed scroll compressor that you will find in the mid-range units of many manufacturers seems to be very reliable. Going from a 8 SEER (20-25 year old) to a 16 SEER is going to make a big dent in your cooling bill. The incremental benefit to go from 18 to 22 is comparatively minor. Dont take the manufacturers sample calculators as the gospel, they like to use runtimes typical for Phoenix,AZ and the electrical cost of Hawaii as the baseline to calculate their savings.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Do yourself a favor and get 3 quotes from three reputable local companies. Just because someone had a good experience with one guy, does not mean that you will get a repeat performance. Plus, you have no real idea why they are plugging this person.

P.S. The manufacturers typically start giving rebates this time of year or a little later. SMECO energy efficiency rebates typically only offered on most efficient systems these days.

Exactly and ask each one to do a Manual J.

I went with Hancock Refrigeration and couldn't have been happier.

Hancock Refrigeration Co Inc
28650 Point Lookout Rd
Leonardtown, MD, 20650
(301) 475-8298