Dead battery

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
:dead: And not a jump start in sight. :ohwell:

Ok, you mechanics out there....when the battery is fine after a trip of 4 miles or more, sluggish, but works after a trip of 3 miles and dead as a doornail after a trip of a half mile what am I looking at? Bad battery? Bad alternator? Something else?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

Ok, you mechanics out there....when the battery is fine after a trip of 4 miles or more, sluggish, but works after a trip of 3 miles and dead as a doornail after a trip of a half mile what am I looking at? Bad battery? Bad alternator? Something else?
Were the trips closely timed together? Sounds like the battery wasn't getting a charge, could be bad cable and/or connections, failed alternator, or a dying battery. What you are looking at is walking until the problem is resolved.

Quite possible battery - and quite possible the alternator... try this...

Get the car running, turn on all the accessories. Pull the negative cable from the battery...

1. If the car continues to run chances are the alternator is fine because it is carrying the load without the battery in the electrical circuit - which means it might be the battery... check the level of water in the cells and throw it on a charger and see what happens. If it happens again, replace the battery.
  2. If the car dies when you pull the negative cable off the battery, it is the alternator, if it cannot carry the load it will not charge the battery and your cars electrical components have been running off the battery for those few miles.

Dymphna

Were the trips closely timed together? Sounds like the battery wasn't getting a charge, could be bad cable and/or connections, failed alternator, or a dying battery. What you are looking at is walking until the problem is resolved.
I noticed it acting funny a few months ago. I'd go to the library 3 miles away and when I went to leave, maybe 45 minutes later, it was reluctant to start, but it eventually did. It hasn't done it in a while, however.

Last night, I drove a half mile and an hour later drove back. I was a little sluggish starting for the trip back, but not too bad. This morning it won't start at all.

Ken King

PREMO Member
I noticed it acting funny a few months ago. I'd go to the library 3 miles away and when I went to leave, maybe 45 minutes later, it was reluctant to start, but it eventually did. It hasn't done it in a while, however.

Last night, I drove a half mile and an hour later drove back. I was a little sluggish starting for the trip back, but not too bad. This morning it won't start at all.
Do you have headlights working? If so it might be the starter.

Dymphna

Pull the negative cable from the battery...
Given where the battery is, that would be a major production. The battery can't be accessed at all without removing stuff because it's underneath a fuse box of some sort. It has a remote terminal for jump starting purposes.

Charger won't give it more than enough to turn on the interior lights...that may be a problem with the charger, however.

Pull the neg cable and place the charger on the battery - you should not let it charge while it is connected to the electrical harness, especially trying to run accessories while it is charging.

Let the battery charge disconnected from the car, then reconnect and try...

BTW - if Huntr has a volt meter have him check the voltage, if it below 12 volts more than likely two cells (plates) have shorted together.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Not even the interior lights come on unless the battery charger is hooked up to it.
Battery is totally dead, either a cable problem, alternator problem or a bad battery. Let it charge for a while (several hours) and see if you get anything then. I love the new easy to get to items on vehicles these days. :sarcasm:

Given where the battery is, that would be a major production. The battery can't be accessed at all without removing stuff because it's underneath a fuse box of some sort. It has a remote terminal for jump starting purposes.

I just read this...

Let Huntr do it, he has plenty of spare time right? :lol:

Seriously - try and charge with it connected then, but do not turn on any accessories until the meter shows "fully charged"

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Sounds like you have yourself a Chrysler? :popcorn: I don't know of many cars with the battery under stuff like that :lol:
I liked Cle's idea too, but it would be a PITA for you :ohwell:

G

Gtmustang88

Could be a bad cell in the battery. I would not pull the negetive cable while the car is running. This can fry the computer. If you want to see if the battery is charging, use a volts meeting while the car is running and rev it up some to see if the volts jump. It is getting colder at night, so you need to have good CCA to start the car.

Quite possible battery - and quite possible the alternator... try this...

Get the car running, turn on all the accessories. Pull the negative cable from the battery...

1. If the car continues to run chances are the alternator is fine because it is carrying the load without the battery in the electrical circuit - which means it might be the battery... check the level of water in the cells and throw it on a charger and see what happens. If it happens again, replace the battery.
  2. If the car dies when you pull the negative cable off the battery, it is the alternator, if it cannot carry the load it will not charge the battery and your cars electrical components have been running off the battery for those few miles.

Yeah, that except for the bold part...:killingme

Not even the interior lights come on unless the battery charger is hooked up to it.

How old is this battery?

Dymphna

I just read this...

Let Huntr do it, he has plenty of spare time right? :lol:

Seriously - try and charge with it connected then, but do not turn on any accessories until the meter shows "fully charged"
I have places to go and he won't be home until late....got a babysitter coming at 6:30, maybe I can get a jump from her. Once I get it going I should be good as long as I don't take short trips....usually not an issue out here in BFE.

Could be a bad cell in the battery. I would not pull the negetive cable while the car is running. This can fry the computer. If you want to see if the battery is charging, use a volts meeting while the car is running and rev it up some to see if the volts jump. It is getting colder at night, so you need to have good CCA to start the car.

Old wives tale - the voltage from the alternator is filtered and flat, if the regulator pops (these days) no voltage comes out. It use to be the regulators could go bad (one of the diodes) and cause unfiltered DC, but not any more...

Yeah, that except for the bold part...:killingme

:shrug: You can check the water level in the cells, if the batter has the access plugs.