• yes, for recreation/sport

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • yes, other

Votes: 10 27.0%

• Total voters

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Originally posted by Bertha Venation
Do you own guns? How many? What types? How long have you been a gun owner?

Merely my curiosity. Thanks.

Yes I own guns. Several. Varied. Been a gun owner since I was a pre-teen (don't know if it was legal or not but it was my gun - my daddy said so). :biggrin:

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by RoseRed
I have a 9MM that I need to protect myself from TIGGER's ex.
:yikes: Seriously? . . . okay, okay :blushing:

I've often thought of buying a gun for protection from a psychotic ex, but since she's made no attempt (that I'm aware of) to get in touch with me in about ten years, I don't think so.

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Own several for several reasons. 12 guage pump (hunting/home protection), 25-06 (hunting), .38 snub nose (home protection), .45 black powder revolver (hunting/homeprotection). Couple of .22 rifles (squirrel and rabbit). Next gun on my got to have list, SW Model 500 (neighborhood protection).

Ken King

PREMO Member
Is crime a problem where you are?
No, but with the Model 500 I can probably get the guy breaking in two or three houses away (neighborhood protection was a just a little levity).

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by Ken King
No, but with the Model 500 I can probably get the guy breaking in two or three houses away (neighborhood protection was a just a little levity).
Ah. Call me humor impaired.... :blushing:

Ken King

PREMO Member
It's a .50 caliber, what I like to think of as a hand cannon. This is the sport model, strap and barrel grip. They are for control.

Crap, missed the rest of the questions. Barrel length, large caliber and accuracy require length. This model is 2" longer than standard. The end of the barrel, I suspect flash suppression or could simply be for design and appearance.

Last edited:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Thank you, Ken.

What would you recommend to someone who's thinking about family/home protection?
Tough question, depends on what you think you might run into. The type of weapon that you are comfortable with. The intended area you plan on using the weapon. Swinging a shotgun in a house is pretty tough at times, but they have their advantages. I like revolvers, others like automatics, it's in what you like and are "one with".

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by Ken King
Tough question, depends on what you think you might run into. The type of weapon that you are comfortable with. The intended area you plan on using the weapon. Swinging a shotgun in a house is pretty tough at times, but they have their advantages. I like revolvers, others like automatics, it's in what you like and are "one with".
I asked for myself, and, well, it's hard to say. Since I've never held a gun before, never seen one except at K-Mart or in a police officer's belt, and have had an aversion to them ever since the psychotic ex held a tiny, tiny silver revolver to my temple, I really don't know what I might be comfortable with or "one" with.

A shotgun would be fun for chasing off Mormons, J-Dubs, and Fundies (oh, my!), but completely impractical in our very small house. I'm not paranoid about break-ins, but one does think about it.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Thank you, Ken.

What would you recommend to someone who's thinking about family/home protection?
My suggestion to ANY female who is not familiar or comfortable with a gun is to get a twelve gauge shotgun. The sound of a female voice saying "who's there?" followed by the sound of the pump action is enough to send anybody running. Also with a shot gun - you do not have to be a good/accurate shot and do not have to wait until someone is close to you (which means they could possibly wrestle it away - women are not known for upper body strength) before firing.

Vince

I've been a gun owner since I was a kid. Have quite a few, but some of my favorites are the Remington model 760 30-06 and an old 16 ga. double barrel. For home protection a small 25 cal pistol or a double barrel shotgun. The double barrel is easy to load, even in the dark and you just point and shoot. My next gun will be the Weatherby .460. Drop an Moose at 1000 yards easily. By the way, Ken, that model 500 is a beauty.:biggrin:

tater

I'm in the market, I just need Sharon to stop partying long enuff to give me some decent advice :roflmao:

I'm looking into an H&K USP .40. That oughtta leave a decent hole. And I think it is one of the few guns you can still get in Maryland. :rolleyes:

Oh, and just in case, a Remington 870 12 gauge with an 18 inch barrell (just in case the burglar just woke me from a deep sleep and I'm all groggy). Won't even have to aim to sling some lead on his azzzzz.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
a-HA! The truth comes out! You admit that it would give you some pleasure to inflict the death penalty on someone who tried to victimize you! ^5 I'm with ya!

What Larry pointed out to me, when I told him I wanted a machine gun, was that it would A) be fired in the house and B) in close proximity to my ears. I'm thinking about a baseball bat - nice and quiet, only hits what you aimed at so as not to ruin my paint jobs.