Cop Stops For Directions, Shoots Dog : Video

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
It's a shame a pet was killed but he was definitely running at the cop. I don't see anything the cop did that was innappropriate.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
It's a shame a pet was killed but he was definitely running at the cop. I don't see anything the cop did that was innappropriate.
IMO, it was not an aggressive "run" towards the cop. The cop could have and should have gotten back into his vehicle, which he had time to do since it shows him standing around then slowly walking backwards.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
IMO, it was not an aggressive "run" towards the cop. The cop could have and should have gotten back into his vehicle, which he had time to do since it shows him standing around then slowly walking backwards.

:shrug:

The officer did back away from the dog toward his car and he didn't make any agreesive or abrupt motions. I wouldn't turn my back on a dog I thought was aggressive.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"

It is funny that the rest of the poputlation overall gets along pretty well with dogs, yet cops, the minute one comes towards them, they were in fear of thier life and have to shoot it.

This was a place out in the middle of no where and the dog was on it's own property. Cop should of just got back in the car or reached down and accepted the dog with a open hand.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
:shrug:

The officer did back away from the dog toward his car and he didn't make any agreesive or abrupt motions. I wouldn't turn my back on a dog I thought was aggressive.
The officer could have easily opened his car door and hopped back in. He didn't. It is my opinion he shot the dog when he didn't need to. It doesn't mean I'm right, it's just how I feel about it. :ohwell:

4d2008

IMO the dog was ugly. :coffee:

But I think both opinions are correct. I cant trust a charging dog so I dont know if I would have shot or not. Some dogs charge to play some dogs charge to chew. Would have to be there I guess.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Let's see...on private property for no reason other than to ask for directions, no warrant, no calls, and he shoots the dog. I'd go after him, too.

Had he been there due to a complaint (phone call), or a warrant for someone's arrest, I'd have no problem with it. He shouldn't have been on the property in the first place.

Cowgirl

Ugh. That cop definitely had time to get back in his car. Plus, the dog wasn't running in "attack mode." Poor dog. :ohwell:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"

Would you feel the same way if just some random person showed up on your property and did the same thing to your dog?

Because the cop is not there on business and that very well could of been a citizen CCW holder in a t-shirt and jeans. Why does the uniform excuse the fact that he had no business being there.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Would you feel the same way if just some random person showed up on your property and did the same thing to your dog?

Because the cop is not there on business and that very well could of been a citizen CCW holder in a t-shirt and jeans. Why does the uniform excuse the fact that he had no business being there.

Uh... :ohwell: :pete: good point.

It's hard for a video to show us what the situation looked and felt like from the officer's perspective. That having been said, just based on the video it seems to me that he overreacted and needlessly killed the dog. Some people place very little value on the lives of animals. Would he have done the same if an average size human had been running toward him in the same manner? I can assure you that an average size man would have posed a greater threat to his life than that dog did.

On another note, is it just me, or does it seem like police officers employ the worst gun handling techniques?

Cowgirl

Don't officers carry pepper spray? Seeing as how he waited until the dog was right next to him to shoot it, he could have used pepper spray if he was really that concerned.

Solja_Boy

That dog was runing at the cop in the same way that my dog runs at me when I get home from work. I usually hold my had out and pet my dog to difuse the situation. I always though that was cheaper than wasting bullets.

foodcritic

all in a days work.

Scroll to around the 5 minute mark on the player, there is footage of the dog being shot.

Pop Up Video

Another sympathectic dog story. I watched the video several times. The officer could not have gotten in his car at the speed that the dog was running. If he turns his back to try to get in the dog is on him.

Having said that the video does not show the "tempermant" or the sound of the dog. I was not a small dog, appears to be mid size.

Let me say. If it comes down to me being possibly attacked by a dog rover is going to get shot. End of story. I dont have to feel my life to be threatened to kill and animal. That analogy is used to justify shooting people. DOGS ARE NOT PEOPLE.

As a dog lover and owner, dogs are property nothing more. Anyone who wants to argue may put their young child in the place of the officer and see what that dog may have done to them. :coffee: