"Going Out of Business Bring Your Best Offer"

DEEKAYPEE8569

What does that really mean?

"Our entire inventory is sale priced." "We won't close our doors until everything's gone." In the same ad, "Bring your best offer."

What that really means is, "You can bring your best offer but if it's lower than our "sale price"; which; if you sit down and do the math; really isn't much of a sale price; you're outta luck."

"If you want what's "for sale" you will pay the sale price.
What isn't posted is, "At least some sucker will."

What does that really mean?

"Our entire inventory is sale priced." "We won't close our doors until everything's gone." In the same ad, "Bring your best offer."

What that really means is, "You can bring your best offer but if it's lower than our "sale price"; which; if you sit down and do the math; really isn't much of a sale price; you're outta luck."

"If you want what's "for sale" you will pay the sale price.
What isn't posted is, "At least some sucker will."

Hmmm... you must have made a trip to Bell's...:lol:

--------------------------------
What makes you ask that??

I stopped in last Thursday to check on a vehicle and do a little chit chatting.... they aren't sweatin' the closure of Bell's one bit now that they've been bought out by Windegardner. No deals to be found there...:ohwell:

BTW... you may want to consider car shopping in Frederick, MD... for some reason the prices are WAY more competitive in that area. When I ready to buy, I believe I'll be heading north.

DEEKAYPEE8569

they aren't sweatin' the closure of Bell's one bit now that they've been bought out by Windegardner. No deals to be found there...:ohwell:
--------------------------------------------
I hadn't heard that Bell was bought out by Winegardner. Actually, Winegardner has one of what I want, but they don't want to come off the sticker list price either. It seems they want to make up for lagging sales with each vehicle they sell. IMO if they dropped the price a bit, they'd sell more vehicles. They would make their money but would just have to sell more cars etc., instead of trying to make up for lost sales with one vehicle.

That probably sounds redundant, but I think my point is made.

lbreder

2into4
My husband and I went car shopping last week and no one is budging on there prices. Come on what happened to wheeling and dealing??? We must have walked out on four different places. Im just too damn stuborn to pay asking price and I want what I want to pay for.

DEEKAYPEE8569

My husband and I went car shopping last week and no one is budging on there prices. Come on what happened to wheeling and dealing??? We must have walked out on four different places. Im just too damn stuborn to pay asking price and I want what I want to pay for.
-------------------------------------------
Nowadays, if you ask something like, "What's the 'out-the-door' price?" you get a reply similar to, "Well, what does it say on the windw sticker?"

Most everyone knows there is the MSRP and the LIST price. If you choose to go into a showroom and try to haggle, shoot for the MSRP and set in your own mind a price that you won't go higher than.

The salespeople see the list price at the bottom of the window sticker and say, 'well, the car is gonna cost you THIS much.' I'm paraphrasing of course.

I was told by the folks at Bell that all the cars on the lot will be sold.
That's as far as that information went. MY guess is, if they don't sell everything by the time they 'close their doors forever' or change ownership; whatever; the remaining vehicles will be transferred to another dealership.
That's just one of those things these folks don't tell you.

They could give two sh*ts wether or not they sold another vehicle before they close or change ownership; whatever the deal is.

I agree wholeheartedly. the list price on the car I was looking at was $34K give or take $100.00 here or there. NO WAY can I even THINK of making payments on that, much less coming up with the 10 or 20%.

Paying MSRP would be tough enough, but that's not even an option because nobody wants to start "haggling" from THAT figure. Oh well, on to the next one.

Lexib_

Blah.. Blah...Blah
-------------------------------------------
Nowadays, if you ask something like, "What's the 'out-the-door' price?" you get a reply similar to, "Well, what does it say on the windw sticker?"

Most everyone knows there is the MSRP and the LIST price. If you choose to go into a showroom and try to haggle, shoot for the MSRP and set in your own mind a price that you won't go higher than.

The salespeople see the list price at the bottom of the window sticker and say, 'well, the car is gonna cost you THIS much.' I'm paraphrasing of course.

I was told by the folks at Bell that all the cars on the lot will be sold.
That's as far as that information went. MY guess is, if they don't sell everything by the time they 'close their doors forever' or change ownership; whatever; the remaining vehicles will be transferred to another dealership.
That's just one of those things these folks don't tell you.

They could give two sh*ts wether or not they sold another vehicle before they close or change ownership; whatever the deal is.

I agree wholeheartedly. the list price on the car I was looking at was $34K give or take $100.00 here or there. NO WAY can I even THINK of making payments on that, much less coming up with the 10 or 20%.

Paying MSRP would be tough enough, but that's not even an option because nobody wants to start "haggling" from THAT figure. Oh well, on to the next one.

If you belong to BJ's or Sams Club they have a auto buying club. Thats something you may want to check out. I was quoted a price for a civic ex l w/ naviation for like 21k

nana

Nana
If you belong to BJ's or Sams Club they have a auto buying club. Thats something you may want to check out. I was quoted a price for a civic ex l w/ naviation for like 21k

They are just quoting you invoice Ex Civic 2009 MSRP $22675.00 Invoice $21103.00 and remember both of these prices include $695.00 freight.

M

Mousebaby

When we bought my car they came down on it pretty good, of course that was almost 3 yrs. ago. What made me sick is what they gave me for my trade in. I almost laid a golden egg when they offered me 1800.00 for a 6 yr. old mini van that was in near perfect condition and only had 56,000 miles on it. I said forget you and almost walked out the door. I still feel that I should have had a jar of Vaseline with me because we only got 3000.00 trade in for that mini van knowing they were going to turn around and sell it for 8000.00! But I wanted that Charger so bad it was unreal. :drool:

I saw a equinox there I really like but I know that I need to get a good trade in value cuz my payoff and the trade in value are very close....

I may have to go with a hyundai santa fe because I paid for the extra super dooper warranty on the car I have now and I am sure thats only of value to a hyundai dealer... plus hyundai gives a customer loyalty discount..

I saw on tv that Kia is giving 5,000 rebate on their suv's,

I really want something like an equinox,Santa fe etc... something that size cuz I am seeing way to many crunched up small cars.....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I saw on tv that Kia is giving 5,000 rebate on their suv's,

Why would they give a "rebate" instead of just lowering the price of the car?

This is what annoys me about the auto industry, and why "used car salesman" has such a negative connotation. I hate to haggle and dick around when I'm buying something; I like to go in, here's the price, it's a fair price, I pay for it and drive away. If the vehicles are over-priced, I just walk out and don't even mess with them.

Anyway, try Waldorf Auto Outlet - Determining extended properties... - they advertise no-haggle pricing and trade-ins, so maybe they mean it.

I think the rebates are just an advertising ploy.. to get people in the door.
They end up doing one of two things:

A. jack the price of the car up
B. give you a really crappy trade in value on your present car

I agree just post the bottom line price on the car... that way people can determine if they can afford it /want it and you don't spend 5 hours in the showroom going back and forth!

punchbuggy

We went on Edmunds.com to find out what we could expect to pay for a new vehicle. You have to do some research. If they really want to sell you something, they'll work with you. Always good to be willing to walk away!!

Pete

Repete
Why would they give a "rebate" instead of just lowering the price of the car?

This is what annoys me about the auto industry, and why "used car salesman" has such a negative connotation. I hate to haggle and dick around when I'm buying something; I like to go in, here's the price, it's a fair price, I pay for it and drive away. If the vehicles are over-priced, I just walk out and don't even mess with them.

Anyway, try Waldorf Auto Outlet - Determining extended properties... - they advertise no-haggle pricing and trade-ins, so maybe they mean it.

Rebates are paid by the manufacturer, anything the dealer comes off the price comes from their cut.

I have bought 2 trucks here in MD and Bell wasn't interested in coming off MSRP at all. They seemed disinterested in selling anything. I got both in Prince Frederick, 1 from Catt's son when he was in the business and 1 from Bayside.

I did a search on GM's web site for the vehicle I wanted and put together a spreadsheet with my trades blue book, Edmunds TMV, rebates, taxes and everything. I put in what I figured was fair according to the research. I had 5 vehicles in my spreadsheet with bottom line out the door prices and off to the dealerships I went. Wiengardner GMC was insulting so I left and went to Bayside. The truck I wanted was sold the day before so the sales manager asked what I wanted and did a search on the same web site I used. He found my truck over in VA and said he would get it for me. I told him I already had that truck on my list and you have one chance to match what I have figured up on my spreadsheet because I have 3 others to go look at and I already have a financing approval certificate from GMAC so that is not an issue. He came in $1.35 less than my bottom line. I got about $6500 off MSRP and 0%. I bought it and they delivered it the next day.

There are deals to he made IF you know what you are doing and they know you know what you are doing and have options. It takes all their wiggling out of play. One thing is true, the dealership will NEVER lose money on a car.

nana

Nana
BTW... you may want to consider car shopping in Frederick, MD... for some reason the prices are WAY more competitive in that area. When I ready to buy, I believe I'll be heading north.

Do your math carefully most local dealers have $100 dealer processing fees Va dealers are closer to $400 ask for an out the door price and then call a local dealer with an exact match and do the same you may be surprised

nana

Nana
I think the rebates are just an advertising ploy.. to get people in the door.
They end up doing one of two things:

A. jack the price of the car up
B. give you a really crappy trade in value on your present car

I agree just post the bottom line price on the car... that way people can determine if they can afford it /want it and you don't spend 5 hours in the showroom going back and forth!

Kinda hard to "jack the price up" when the MSRP is written on the window. That is the starting point. If you do your research then you will find out what invoice is at that point see if there are any rebates etc. This is what should be paid on a vehicle.

I ended up buying a ford escape and got a good deal. After testing a few different models santa fe, equinox and the escape, I decided I liked the escape the best

Tomcat

Anytime
We went on Edmunds.com to find out what we could expect to pay for a new vehicle. You have to do some research. If they really want to sell you something, they'll work with you. Always good to be willing to walk away!!

I did a search on GM's web site for the vehicle I wanted and put together a spreadsheet with my trades blue book, Edmunds TMV, rebates, taxes and everything. I put in what I figured was fair according to the research. I had 5 vehicles in my spreadsheet with bottom line out the door prices and off to the dealerships I went.
There are deals to he made IF you know what you are doing and they know you know what you are doing and have options. It takes all their wiggling out of play. One thing is true, the dealership will NEVER lose money on a car.

Research is key to not getting screwed when purchasing a new vehicle. If you stop by on an impulse to look at a car, you'll get screwed. My newest truck I spent several weeks researching what I had in mind and what I was looking for before I even went to a dealer. Then I checked their web sites before even going. Also know what you can afford to spend and stay away from something you can't really afford. My last car took about 2 months to find and pay what I wanted for it

Last edited: