Compiling List of Worthy Local Charities

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Hello,

With the holidays drawing near and many people suffering due to economic conditions, I would like to start a list of what you deem to be the worthiest of local charities -- both so people can contribute and those in need can seek assistance.

Once complete, I'll cleanup the thread and pin it for future reference, or post the information to a permanent page within somd.com for future reference.

Please make one post per person and list your favorite charities including name, address, contact info, and website if applicable. Perhaps briefly state what they do and why you like them.

So that we can keep this a concise reference, please just edit your existing post to include new information as opposed to adding new posts. Also, please defer from making posts in this thread that do not speak to the intent.

Thank you in advance for your contributions!

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
My favorite local charities:

Southern Maryland Food Bank

To make a donation, please mail a check or money order to:

Southern Maryland Food Bank
P.O. Box 613
Hughesville, MD 20637

To organize a food drive, please call the food bank program manager Brenda DiCarlo at 202-345-6671.

Charles County Christmas Bikes

Each year, the Sheriff’s Office raises money to purchase new bicycles from the Bike Doctor, whose employees order and assemble the bicycles at no cost to the Sheriff’s Office. A few days before Christmas, community policing officers will deliver the bicycles and a new helmet to the unsuspecting children — or to parents who want to keep the surprise a secret until Christmas morning.

Checks should be made payable to the Charles County Sheriff’s Office and “Bicycle Donation Fund” should be indicated in the memo section.

The Mailing Address is:

Charles County Sheriff's Office
PO BOX 189
LA PLATA, MD 20646
ATTN: Officer Gross / Bicycle Donation Fund

St. Mary's County Public School Shoe Fund

The Shoe Fund is a longstanding program that exists through the generosity of St. Mary’s County Public Schools’ staff, parents, businesses, and the community. This fund provides shoes to school age children in the public schools who are in need of shoes, but who have limited financial resources. Contributions are accepted from business organizations, community clubs, and individuals. Donations can be made directly to the Shoe Fund which is managed by the Department of Student Services under the direction of a pupil personnel worker (PPW). The PPW facilitates the referral process, recordkeeping, finances, shopping, and delivery.

The PPW selects, purchases, and delivers the shoes to families. The Shoe Fund is audited by the St. Mary’s County Public Schools’ Department of Fiscal Services. Contributions are deposited in the St. Mary’s County Shoe Fund account with the PNC Bank in Leonardtown. Although the annual budget varies and is dependent upon the contributions received, one hundred percent of contributions received are spent on the purchase of shoes.

Requests for shoes are highest in the beginning of the school year, but continue to be requested and purchased throughout the remainder of the year. Normally, shoes are delivered to the home by the PPW who views the home visit as an opportunity to reinforce the importance of school attendance and the student’s success in school. Providing students with shoes helps build a positive and cooperative relationship between parents and the school for greater effectiveness in supporting students’ success.

To contribute to the Shoe Fund, you can mail a check to:

St. Mary's County Public School Shoe Fund
Dept. of Student Services
PO Box 1410
Leonardtown, MD 20650

Checks should be made payable to: St. Mary's County Public School Shoe Fund

For more information, please contact the Department of Student Services of St. Mary’s County Public Schools at 301-475-5511, option 2.

Last edited:

Detective

Hello,

With the holidays drawing near and many people suffering due to economic conditions, I would like to start a list of what you deem to be the worthiest of local charities -- both so people can contribute and those in need can seek assistance.

Once complete, I'll cleanup the thread and pin it for future reference, or post the information to a permanent page within somd.com for future reference.

Please make one post per person and list your favorite charities including name, address, contact info, and website if applicable. Perhaps briefly state what they do and why you like them.

So that we can keep this a concise reference, please just edit your existing post to include new information as opposed to adding new posts. Also, please defer from making posts in this thread that do not speak to the intent.

Thank you in advance for your contributions!

St. Mary's County Shop with a Cop Program. The program helps the neediest of children with Christmas, and also provides a meal and mentoring by local police officers. This program is also done at back to school time to send those children who would not normally have all of the new equipment and clothing back to school with those items.

You can drop your check off at the Fraternal Order of Police or send it to Shop with a Cop at 23150 Leonard Hall Drive Leonardtown, Md. 20650.

msqtech

Citizen
SMILE fills needs of the local community in southern Calvert very nicely consider them in your giving please

St. Mary's County Shop with a Cop Program. The program helps the neediest of children with Christmas, and also provides a meal and mentoring by local police officers. This program is also done at back to school time to send those children who would not normally have all of the new equipment and clothing back to school with those items.

You can drop your check off at the Fraternal Order of Police or send it to Shop with a Cop at 23150 Leonard Hall Drive Leonardtown, Md. 20650.

And just as important... it provides postitive interation with law enforcement.

Khurley

site

Let's End Hunger In Calvert County

End Hunger In Calvert County is a partnership of State, County and local officials, schools, businesses, charities, churches and food pantries united behind the belief that ending hunger in Calvert County is possible.

Our Mission
We need your help. If you want to get involved in this endeavor, please contact us. We will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your support in helping to end hunger in Calvert County.

S

SmowPea

1. Safe Harbor - This is a shelter for women and children who are victims of domestic violence. It is located in Calvert County and operated by the Calvert County Health Department.

2. Leah's House - This is a shelter for women and children who are homeless and/or who are victims of domestic violence. It is located in St. Mary's County. Their website is leahshousemd. org

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The Leonardtown Volunteer Rescue Squad is an official Toys For Tots drop location. They will also be collecting at Christmas in The Square in Leonardtown on Friday November 28.:patriot:

That's wonderful! :clap: I just contributed 4 toys to Toys For Tots via my company to the cause. :patriot:

glazeteresa

Sugarplum
These are a few that I support

Christmas in April
Christmas in April * St. Mary's County National Volunteer Organization
P.O. Box 705
Hollywood, MD 20636

Three Oaks Shelter
Crisis beds for men, women and families
(301)863-9535 x100

St. Mary's Caring Soup Kitchen
Monday-Saturday, 8:30am - 10:00am Breakfast, 11:30am -1:00pm Lunch
(301)863-5700
20850 Langley Road, Lexington Park, MD 20653

H.O.P.E at the Church of the Ascension food pantry
Monday - Thursday, 9:00am - 12:00pm, Closed Fridays
(301)737-2870
21641 Great Mills Rd, Lexington Park, MD 20653

momma leone

I think all of these are great causes. I did not know some of them existed till today.
I try to pick up extra food for people when stores have buy one get one free. But only on items I use myself then I drop it off at donation sites around the area. If everyone did that simple thing, buy the bogo items and donate one more people would be helped.

hotcoffee

Leah's House

It's a Shelter for women and children

They have the Barbie Store open over near the KMart in California, MD... it's only open 2 more days... and they're selling "new in the box" Barbie Dolls to raise money.

They can house 5 families now... but they are hoping to be able to help 15 families soon... or that's what I hear...