When Raccoons Attack...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
AKRON, Ohio -- Health officials in Akron said a raccoon crawled into a baby's crib while he slept and attacked him.

Officials said the incident happened Friday night, and the child had to spend several days at Children's Hospital Medical Center of Akron.

Residents on Crouse Street are very concerned after a family put their child to bed, assuming the baby was safe and secure, and a raccoon jumped in the crib with him.

Apparently, the raccoon got into the house through the basement window.

The raccoon climbed in the child's bed and bit him. The child has three stitches because of the attack.

Many of the residents said there has been an increase in encounters with wild animals because there's a garbage transfer station nearby.

"Well, the other day, we saw a rat, and we saw the raccoon right in my driveway last night," resident Linda Dolan said. "That's where it got in the basement window -- is right in front of my driveway. We saw it last night, too. We saw it run up and down the road, ran up the tree."

The little boy who was bitten by the raccoon is doing well and is out of the hospital, according to doctors.

He had to undergo a series of rabies shots, because the raccoon was not captured.

Wildlife experts said it's surprisingly common for raccoons to enter homes, especially during the summer. In fact, the critters can squeeze through a space as small as 2.5 inches.

To keep the critters out of your house, make sure all your windows and screens are secure. Also, block off your chimney with a heavy screen. It's also important to trim tree branches so they're at least 10 feet from the roof. Finally, keep an eye on your pet door: Raccoons have been known to sneak in that way.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I'm having a hard time with a little raccoon. He comes to my house every night and empties my humming bird feeders...we've caught him in the act. It's really cute but my hummers don't appreciate being without food early in the morning.