GMHS FOOTBALL Cont.

dolemite

Yesterday we had converstation about what could be done to better GM Football.

Reply to Steelers1970: Yes we had John Duckett a man child indeed. I was so glad that he transferred to GM from Leonardtown. I remember playing against him when he went to Leonardtown. He had the ground rumbling when he ran the ball. They don't make football players like that no more. The average back now is about 5'5"-5'9" and weigh about 150-170lbs. They wouldn't survive in our league then in 93-97.

As far as fundementals go at GM you should be able to excute them at the high school level. But even some NFL players don't execute fundamentals look at the Dallas Cowboys LOL!!!!

budman473

Yesterday we had converstation about what could be done to better GM Football.

Reply to Steelers1970: Yes we had John Duckett a man child indeed. I was so glad that he transferred to GM from Leonardtown. I remember playing against him when he went to Leonardtown. He had the ground rumbling when he ran the ball. They don't make football players like that no more. The average back now is about 5'5"-5'9" and weigh about 150-170lbs. They wouldn't survive in our league then in 93-97.

As far as fundementals go at GM you should be able to excute them at the high school level. But even some NFL players don't execute fundamentals look at the Dallas Cowboys LOL!!!!

You can't execute what you have not been taught. The kids are good kids and all they need is to be taught the game.

What position did you play?

dolemite

You can't execute what you have not been taught. The kids are good kids and all they need is to be taught the game.

I played Guard, Tackle and Nose Guard. So your saying only GM doesn't teach there kids how to execute? I think the coaching staff needs to go then. I am sure some of the kids played pee wee football.

budman473

I played Guard, Tackle and Nose Guard. So your saying only GM doesn't teach there kids how to execute? I think the coaching staff needs to go then. I am sure some of the kids played pee wee football.

I am saying that Great Mills does not emphasize the fundamentals. Other schools have much better fundamentally sound players. Good fundamentals and even marginal talent will overcome in close games. The games are being lost by wide margins. When the defense averages giving up over 40 points a game for at least the last 19 loses there is something wrong.
And the spread offense? You shouldn't shotgun snap in high school before you can take snaps from under center. The coach should never set the kids up for failure, they need to adapt to the skill sets each kid presents.

The kids may have learned some things in Pee Wee but fundamentals must be taught all the time.

Harvick29

The current starting varsity QB averages what .. 4 interceptions a game ? No wonder they play terrible. It's the coaching.

betaswim1379

As a coach (but not at GMHS), I would like to take a little bit of time to include my thoughts. I have been a coach of multiple sports, as well as a former 3 sport high school and college athlete. I have been on teams that did not win many games (3-28 in high school) and teams that have been very successful (11-2 and playing in the D3 National Playoffs)

As a coach I have been called a lot of different things..... And I have had my ability called into question many times, but positive and negatively.

I have never, nor do I ever hope to meet, a coach that has lost on purpose. As a coach I can only speak on what I know. I know that I do what I feel is the best to put my kids in places to win and succeed.

For example (using football):
4th and 1 in the 4th quarter. We are losing the game and there is less than 1 minute on the clock. I personally would go for it. If the play I called does not work, I know that I get to look forward to hearing from the crowd (my parents and fans) that I have no clue about the game of football and should never be a coach. But if the play does work than I am a great coach.

A coach can only use the players that he/her has. Maybe there is a reason that the "better" players are seated on the bench and not in the game. Kids will emulate thier parents more than you ever know. If you are seated at dinner complaining that the coach is an idiot....well guess what? Your child now thinks that also. It is hard to find quality coaches that are able to give thier time to coach, much less want to coach after putting up with the parents and players with the negative attitudes.

Instead of just complaining, why not do something to help. Offer your time. Ask the coach to sit down and find out why your child is not playing (you might be surprised to find out that its your kid and not the coach).

dolemite

As a coach (but not at GMHS), I would like to take a little bit of time to include my thoughts. I have been a coach of multiple sports, as well as a former 3 sport high school and college athlete. I have been on teams that did not win many games (3-28 in high school) and teams that have been very successful (11-2 and playing in the D3 National Playoffs)

As a coach I have been called a lot of different things..... And I have had my ability called into question many times, but positive and negatively.

I have never, nor do I ever hope to meet, a coach that has lost on purpose. As a coach I can only speak on what I know. I know that I do what I feel is the best to put my kids in places to win and succeed.

4th and 1 in the 4th quarter. We are losing the game and there is less than 1 minute on the clock. I personally would go for it. If the play I called does not work, I know that I get to look forward to hearing from the crowd (my parents and fans) that I have no clue about the game of football and should never be a coach. But if the play does work than I am a great coach.

A coach can only use the players that he/her has. Maybe there is a reason that the "better" players are seated on the bench and not in the game. Kids will emulate thier parents more than you ever know. If you are seated at dinner complaining that the coach is an idiot....well guess what? Your child now thinks that also. It is hard to find quality coaches that are able to give thier time to coach, much less want to coach after putting up with the parents and players with the negative attitudes.

Instead of just complaining, why not do something to help. Offer your time. Ask the coach to sit down and find out why your child is not playing (you might be surprised to find out that its your kid and not the coach).

Well put but I have to say. If your losing games by an average of 40plus points then it's something wrong with that picture.

yankee44

The current starting varsity QB averages what .. 4 interceptions a game ? No wonder they play terrible. It's the coaching.

I am very good friends with the parents of the QB and talk to the QB quite a bit. He (the QB) has sated many times that he wants to play defence and does not want to be the QB. But talking with other people in the know there is no better.

(Mind you I have no kids on this team or have I ever been to a game)

budman473

I don't think anyone should question the kids. The games I have seen it appears that they are giving all they have. They are just not prepared properly by the staff.

dolemite

I am very good friends with the parents of the QB and talk to the QB quite a bit. He (the QB) has sated many times that he wants to play defence and does not want to be the QB. But talking with other people in the know there is no better.

You haven't been to a game. I don't think your missing to much.

yankee44

You haven't been to a game. I don't think your missing to much.

From what I hear I dont think I could hold my toung.

Played alot of football myself. 2 H.S sectional championship teams. Played both ways at FB and MLB wore #44.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill

:clap: As a coach for many different sports, I too agree. No coach I have ever met, intentionally decides to lose. The guys do give it everything they have; I've seen them and know a few of them. Not that I talk to them at great length, but they do take pride in wearing their colors and representing GMHS as a football player.

betaswim1379

Well put but I have to say. If your losing games by an average of 40plus points then it's something wrong with that picture.

I can honestly say that in High school we gave our all...but still lost by over 50 pts in many games. This came from lack of athletes on the team. We had them walking the halls talking about how great they are, but they refuse to play.

As a football coach I can say that many times (like this year) I have had to adapt my style based on the kids that I have and not on what I prefer to run. But sometimes its the ability of the kids.....but then again sometimes it is the coaches.

I had a coach that used to say "Hardwork beats talent, when talent does not work hard". This applied greatly to my senior class. We lost all but 1 game that year, but 7 of the 9 of us played in college.

I am not placing the blame anywhere here because I do not know the workings of the GMHS football staff. I can say that I have felt that I did everything I could to prepare my team to play, but they have still lost. At the same time I have done a poor job preparing the team (I admit it) for a game, but they won.

RayGun

yankee44 ~ There were two other QB's on the team but the coach did not give them a chance ~

BernieP

Resident PIA
If you are seated at dinner complaining that the coach is an idiot....well guess what? Your child now thinks that also. It is hard to find quality coaches that are able to give thier time to coach, much less want to coach after putting up with the parents and players with the negative attitudes.

oh how true. this applies at all levels. To often the "advice" from the parent is being shouted from the sideline. I think football and basketball are the worst; it seems everybody is an expert in those two sports.

smilin

BOXER NATION
I was told a story about my son who plays on the Freshman team, today. On the bus ride home, one of the biggest kids in the neighborhood made some loud disparaging remarks about the record and quality of the GMHS team (being very polite here).
My son who is all of maybe 100# (with roll of quarters in pocket), stood up told the kid (170# + ) to shut up or show up for try outs. Apparently the bus and the large kid got very quiet from then on about the team.
I told the dumb little **** never to do that on a bus again, but it did make me proud that he stood up for his team and teammates.
It seems there might just be spirit left in the team.
What do the teams and schools in the football states (TX, FL, CA) do?

betaswim1379

while it may not have been the best move on his part.....if he was my kid I would be proud of him. We have that same problem in the halls at my school. Kids talk smack no matter what....for swimming I have heard well over 100 kids tell me that they are the next Phelps. I tell everyone of them the same thing.... "get a physcial, come to practice, finish the WHOLE practice, and race one of my swimmers. If they (the braggart) wins, I will make an announcement over the school intercom that they one of the fastest swimmers in the school. BUT if they can not do so they need to admit to the whole team that what we do is hard work". I have only had 1 person ever take me up on this offer....and they quit the practice after 10 mins.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
What is the team's record over the last 8 years? I think they won 3 games in 2005.

fbcoach1

How do you know what these kids are taught? are you out on the practice field everyday. These kids are taught fundamentals everyday and they are worked and just not executed. And for your information this is a very young team with 27 underclassmen and had only 2 starters returning from the previous year. If you are such a fundamental guru why don't you give up some of your time and go out there and help the team. I am sure they would appreciate an expert like yourself. I am really tired of hearing people down grade coaches and are not willing to do anything to improve the situation

budman473

How do you know what these kids are taught? are you out on the practice field everyday. These kids are taught fundamentals everyday and they are worked and just not executed. And for your information this is a very young team with 27 underclassmen and had only 2 starters returning from the previous year. If you are such a fundamental guru why don't you give up some of your time and go out there and help the team. I am sure they would appreciate an expert like yourself. I am really tired of hearing people down grade coaches and are not willing to do anything to improve the situation

Check response to the list of excuses you posted under the Great Mills Athletics thread. I would love to come out and coach just as soon as there is a new captain at the helm.