Starting Car in the morning is against the law?

cuddles

According to an article I read on the baynet they say that it is a $70.00 fine if an officer sees your car running with no one in the driver seat.
Avoid Being a Victim, Don't Get Caught - Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary's County News

I have a question and I have tried to do some search's but I am not coming up with anything. Does anyone know if this applies to a car that has a remote start? The key is not in the ignition and you cant put the car in gear with out braking.

awpitt

Main Streeter
According to an article I read on the baynet they say that it is a $70.00 fine if an officer sees your car running with no one in the driver seat.
Avoid Being a Victim, Don't Get Caught - Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary's County News

I have a question and I have tried to do some search's but I am not coming up with anything. Does anyone know if this applies to a car that has a remote start? The key is not in the ignition and you cant put the car in gear with out braking.

Most would think that if the car is running but secured like you described with the remote start, it would be okay. The problem is that the law is written so if the car is running and unattended, that's a violation. In other words, if the car is running, the doors are locked, and the transmission is disabled, it is still considered to be unattended if the owner is not with the vehicle.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
]

What possible difference could it make how you start your car?

The law is that's it's illegal to leave it running while unattended.

R

RadioPatrol

Well I guess it could not be stolen then ...

good luck explaining it ..... Police usually drop a ticket and dash off ....

a Nice PG Police Person was kind enough to leave a $50 ticket for my neighbor, for parking her SUV on the grass in her yard @ 2 AM ...

cuddles

What possible difference could it make how you start your car?

The law is that's it's illegal to leave it running while unattended.

You are right there..I guess I was just thinking that since there are no keys in the ignition it would be hard for someone to steal the car. But I am not sure because I am not in the stealing car business so I am not sure if there would be away around that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, I'm doing it anyway. If some cop thinks that I'm going to sit in a freezing cold car waiting for it to warm up in the morning, they better think again. My neighbors wouldn't tattle on me anyway.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm

What is being said here, is that - if you drive up to a Wa-Wa to get some coffee and donuts, or go to CVS to pick up a prescription, and you leave your vehicle's engine running, and the door unlocked, there is a very good chance it will not be where you left it, upon your return.

Law enforcement is trying to get you to understand that possibility.

cuddles

What is being said here, is that - if you drive up to a Wa-Wa to get some coffee and donuts, or go to CVS to pick up a prescription, and you leave your vehicle's engine running, and the door unlocked, there is a very good chance it will not be where you left it, upon your return.

Well I for one would NEVER do that.. Thats just asking for your car to be taken. I guess my question proteins more to starting the car in the morning to warm up.

Not entirely. There are many folks (like Vrai) who start the car in the morning and run back into the house, even if it's only for a minute. There are numerous car thefts that happen during that time, and that's what they are also trying to stop. Like was said, the law isn't written to accommodate a remote start, and the PO is not going to check for keys or locked doors, only that the car is running and you ain't there.

Mine is garaged so I don't have those issues.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Not entirely. There are many folks (like Vrai) who start the car in the morning and run back into the house, even if it's only for a minute. There are numerous car thefts that happen during that time, and that's what they are also trying to stop. Like was said, the law isn't written to accommodate a remote start, and the PO is not going to check for keys or locked doors, only that the car is running and you ain't there.

Mine is garaged so I don't have those issues.

You are correct, I read the opening lines, but didn't think that was what the whole issue was about. You can't legally warm up your car in the driveway anymore!

BTW, I have seen folks drive up to CVS and leave their cars engine running - unlocked/unattended, and go inside. Dumb move! :lol:

shopgirl

Well, I'm doing it anyway. If some cop thinks that I'm going to sit in a freezing cold car waiting for it to warm up in the morning, they better think again. My neighbors wouldn't tattle on me anyway.

Lmao. Am doing it also. Noway am I'm going to sit in a freezing cold car for it to warm up.

S

Shaggy

What does the actual law state? I would be inclined to think that it may also be in reference to the emmisions being released into the air while your not actually driving the vehicle.
I have seen signs close to housing developments that state "It is unlawful to let your engine idle for more than *** minutes".

sommpd

Even though the letter of the law is that you can't do that, I have never heard of a police officer who would write you a ticket for starting your car in your drive way. If your car is secure, then there shouldn't be any problem. Even if a police officer did write you a ticket in your drive way, I doubt the states attorney would prosecute the ticket.

What does the actual law state? I would be inclined to think that it may also be in reference to the emmisions being released into the air while your not actually driving the vehicle.

I have seen signs close to housing developments that state "It is unlawful to let your engine idle for more than *** minutes".

§ 21-1101. Unattended motor vehicle.

(a) Duty of driver upon leaving unattended vehicle.- Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person driving or otherwise in charge of a motor vehicle may not leave it unattended until the engine is stopped, the ignition locked, the key removed, and the brake effectively set.

(b) Procedure for vehicles on grades.- A person driving or otherwise in charge of a motor vehicle may not leave the motor vehicle unattended until, if the vehicle is on a grade, the front wheels are turned to the curb or side of the highway.

(c) Animals left in vehicles.- When a cat or dog is left in the unattended vehicle of an on-duty law enforcement officer or an animal control officer, the provisions of subsection (a) of this section do not apply to the law enforcement officer or the animal control officer.

S

Shaggy

(a) Duty of driver upon leaving unattended vehicle.- Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person driving or otherwise in charge of a motor vehicle may not leave it unattended until the engine is stopped, the ignition locked, the key removed, and the brake effectively set.

(b) Procedure for vehicles on grades.- A person driving or otherwise in charge of a motor vehicle may not leave the motor vehicle unattended until, if the vehicle is on a grade, the front wheels are turned to the curb or side of the highway.

(c) Animals left in vehicles.- When a cat or dog is left in the unattended vehicle of an on-duty law enforcement officer or an animal control officer, the provisions of subsection (a) of this section do not apply to the law enforcement officer or the animal control officer.
Thanks for the clarification!

jedi2814

I'd venture to say we all break this one - "brake effectively set." Who does that with an automatic transmission??

Hmm, I wonder if this applies to the 18 wheelers?

BakeMyFish

Humorous Observations

That would be a ticket for stupidity. Deserved.