Natural Gas

sockgirl77

No, not Geek style. Heating and cooking style. The place that I'm moving to has natural gas and I've never used it before. Is it expensive? It HAS to be cheaper than $200 per month for oil. Pros? Cons? Thanks.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
I didn't relaize we had natural gas available in STM. I know of some places built by my old house years ago that stated they were natural gas but they had outdoor big propane cylinders. If you have tanks expect it to be very pricey.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
You may want to check to see if the hot water heater is using the gas or using electric. That will also make a difference as well. Either way, you are looking at a pricey bill.

sockgirl77

I didn't relaize we had natural gas available in STM. I know of some places built by my old house years ago that stated they were natural gas but they had outdoor big propane cylinders. If you have tanks expect it to be very pricey.
It's a brand new apartment and there are no tanks. It's totally different from propane.
You may want to check to see if the hot water heater is using the gas or using electric. That will also make a difference as well. Either way, you are looking at a pricey bill.
Water heater is electric. I know that all of the appliances are energy efficient and brand new. The few people that I've talked to said that it wasn't pricey. I really hope that's not the case.

U

USMCBulldog

Natural Gas isn't that bad... All depends on what you are using it for... If your stove is a gas stove and you cook on it a lot or bake a lot, it will cause your bill to go up. Additionally, if you have a gas furnace - bill will go up in the winter... But I do not think it is too bad... :)

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Thanks but I'm looking for people's average monthly bills. Not that it really matters because I'm moving next week. :yahoo:

Well.
I don't know how popular it is, so the chances of getting an estimate bill might be slim, but hopefully someone will be able to give input.
It appears, according to wiki, that I'd estimate it being a little under half of the cost of heating oil :yay:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Contact the supplier and ask if they can give you any estimates as to average usage and cost.

U

USMCBulldog

Why not drive by the apartments... catch someone walking their dog or talking their trash out and then ask them what they pay on average... Just explain that you are moving there soon and you wanted to plan out your budget... Simple elicitation usually works...

cartman

the place we moved out of had 200g tanks. Suburban propane came and topped them off every month or so.. we had a budget plan it was $70 a month and we always end up with 2 or so months where we had a surplus at the end of the year...

C

CalvertNewbie

Why not drive by the apartments... catch someone walking their dog or talking their trash out and then ask them what they pay on average... Just explain that you are moving there soon and you wanted to plan out your budget... Simple elicitation usually works...

That's a good idea. Or ask the leasing office for an estimate. When I had moved to DC, they were able to give me an estimate on how much each of the utilities ran a month in their complex and they were pretty accurate. Good luck!

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
I think the end no matter what you use you still get the shaft. Unless of course you have a fireplace, wood or pellet stove. It always ends up as another bill to be paid.which when added all together still mean lots of pocket change. Makes me remember the days not so long ago when heating oil was less than a buck a gallon and a whole tank would last most of the winter and the electric bill would be around 60 bucks during those months.

Enough of my walk dow memory lane. Congrats and good luck in your new place. It must be exciting to move into a brand new apartment.:flowers:

Lexib_

Blah.. Blah...Blah
Thanks but I'm looking for people's average monthly bills. Not that it really matters because I'm moving next week. :yahoo:

My apartment is gas heat and the hot water heater is gas as well. My lowest bill was 14.00 and my highest bill was 120.00. That was for a 1200sq ft apartment. :ohwell:

dn0121

No, not Geek style. Heating and cooking style. The place that I'm moving to has natural gas and I've never used it before. Is it expensive? It HAS to be cheaper than $200 per month for oil. Pros? Cons? Thanks.

I have NG and it will be cheaper for you. Enjoy the warmth!