Question

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And don't give me a rash of ####, because this is a serious question.

Gidget is just not getting the hang of the "paws, not claws" deal, and she's shredding my furniture. Kiki, the dumb one, picked it up fairly quickly and is not destructive at all anymore. Gidget, the smart one, well....

Don't tell me what to try because I've done this before - she's impossible and has to be watched every second.

So! I'm probably going to have her declawed, as much as I hate to do it. My question is, why can't she still go out after being declawed? It's not like I have animals she'll have to defend herself against. The neighbor cat isn't interested in fighting at all - Claudia just hates him and wants to kill him. And on the rare occasion the dog across the way gets loose and comes visiting, the cats disappear (not that he goes after them anyway). We get no raccoons or other such varmints around here.

So why can't I get her declawed and still let her outside?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Look what that evil kitten has done to my chair:

Attachments

• shredder.jpg
    shredder.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 275

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
As long as she is fixed and you don't have to worry about her being hurt my another animal. I would say it's okay.

Pandora

I think it is a matter of choice. It is said that the kitty wouldn't be able to defend themselves without claws, but I think they would figure out those sharp weapons are gone and not engage.

One of my cats scratches the stair post and I hung a scratching thingy from the post but he still gets the wood every so often. I love all my animals, everyone knows that, but I wouldn't tolerate a cat tearing up my carpet or furniture. I would declaw, try to keep 'em in and if I couldn't, take the chance. That is just me! :shrug:

I

Inkpen

And don't give me a rash of ####, because this is a serious question.

Gidget is just not getting the hang of the "paws, not claws" deal, and she's shredding my furniture. Kiki, the dumb one, picked it up fairly quickly and is not destructive at all anymore. Gidget, the smart one, well....

Don't tell me what to try because I've done this before - she's impossible and has to be watched every second.

So! I'm probably going to have her declawed, as much as I hate to do it. My question is, why can't she still go out after being declawed? It's not like I have animals she'll have to defend herself against. The neighbor cat isn't interested in fighting at all - Claudia just hates him and wants to kill him. And on the rare occasion the dog across the way gets loose and comes visiting, the cats disappear (not that he goes after them anyway). We get no raccoons or other such varmints around here.

NO..She can NEVER go out..
And here come the ration you dont want...
Get scratching posts, claw tips...but do not, never declaw her unless you are willing to have the same done to you..
It is the amputation of the first joint of each finger.

In addition to the physical trauma, there is emotional trauma...a nice cat turns mean.

You are better off getting a new home for your cat that you can not work with instead of crippling her for LIFE.

Why bother having her if you cant train or wont train her?

Go spent the $$$ on cat trees, scratching posts, etc instead of having her finger tips amputated.....

And lean how to trim her nails!!!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think it is a matter of choice. It is said that the kitty wouldn't be able to defend themselves without claws, but I think they would figure out those sharp weapons are gone and not engage.

See, that's the thing - there's nothing around here for her to defend herself against. Even that neighbor cat that comes around, Claudia hisses and gets all pissed off and he just sits there and looks at her like she's simple. If we had possums and like that I wouldn't even let them out. On the few occasions a dog comes visiting, they all make themselves scarce.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Honestly..she's young. She could turn into a biter..and a lot of declawed cats have litter box issues.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
NO..She can NEVER go out..
And here come the ration you dont want...
Get scratching posts, claw tips...but do not, never declaw her unless you are willing to have the same done to you..
It is the amputation of the first joint of each finger.

In addition to the physical trauma, there is emotional trauma...a nice cat turns mean.

You are better off getting a new home for your cat that you can not work with instead of crippling her for LIFE.

Why bother having her if you cant train or wont train her?

Go spent the $$$ on cat trees, scratching posts, etc instead of having her finger tips amputated.....

And lean how to trim her nails!!!!!
You are so full of chit your eyes are brown!! :smack:

I had both my cats done and they are fine!! They weren't traumatized and they are friendly as ever.

You're a friggin MORON! :loser:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
She can't ruin the furniture if her nails are trimmed regularly.

She doesn't sit still long enough for me to trim her nails. When she was little, I did them every week - now she won't let me near her with the clippers.

Pandora

Holy Crap! :faint:

Yeah really and that appears to be a leather chair.... :ohwell:

Ink,

You really think they turn mean? My mother did rescue work, of course this was many years ago, and she declawed a couple of cats because they were tearing stuff up. I don't remember them ever being mean and it was done before they were older than 1 year old. :shrug:

They have a new laser procedure out now that is supposed to be less intrusive.