Dogs' Self Awareness?

Cowgirl

Do you think dogs know what they look like? Do you think they recognize other dogs of the same breed?

I heard a collie owner say her dogs played differently around other collies than they did around other breeds. Do you think humans just see what they want to see, or do you really think dogs know?

K

Kain99

Do you think dogs know what they look like? Do you think they recognize other dogs of the same breed?

I heard a collie owner say her dogs played differently around other collies than they did around other breeds. Do you think humans just see what they want to see, or do you really think dogs know?

Maybe my dogs are idiots but they play with all breeds the same. I love stupid dogs. :huggy:

morningbell

hmmmmmm

Collies are racist....

morningbell

hmmmmmm
My jack ass russell loved dogs and even cats.... I miss him so much.... I try not to talk about him, he was the sweetest and got me through so much, he was a little comedian.... :frown: :huggy:

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
Our dog is aware that he's a human, and our cat is aware that he's a dog. :lol:

Ahh, good observation:yay: Mystical Mom's dogs are big pussies and her cats are vicious beasts:jameo:

My dog thinks he's a person too. Won't sleep on the floor, won't sleep without his head on a pillow. Doesn't want to go outside after dark alone. Runs in and out of the house like a child. He even gets upset when Gramma doesn't hug him:lmao:

dustin

UAIOE
Ahh, good observation:yay: Mystical Mom's dogs are big pussies and her cats are vicious beasts:jameo:

My dog thinks he's a person too. Won't sleep on the floor, won't sleep without his head on a pillow. Doesn't want to go outside after dark alone. Runs in and out of the house like a child. He even gets upset when Gramma doesn't hug him:lmao:
sounds eerily simliar... :lol:

MrX

High Octane
I dont know, but when our Sheltie heard my sister and her husband's Beagle bark for the first time he wasnt quite sure what to make of it; he had only been around other Shelties so I guess the different bark made him go WTF.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Dogs pick up on their human's actions. If their human acts like it's okay to play with collies, but acts a little more tense or unsure of other breeds, then the dog does the same.

Cowgirl

Dogs pick up on their human's actions. If their human acts like it's okay to play with collies, but acts a little more tense or unsure of other breeds, then the dog does the same.

So you don't think they recognize others of the same breed?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
So you don't think they recognize others of the same breed?

No, I think they recognize the scents of other dogs and people they've met before.

I think if they don't play the same with dog A versus dog B, they are picking up on the tenseness/nerves/whatever from their owner.

Great example, my little dog is almost blind. He can't see anything at night without the lights on. A lot of times at night/dusk I wave at my neighbors and keep on going and he doesn't notice a thing. So if you were to come by walking your dog, he wouldn't see you or your dog, and would keep on walking beside me.

If I were to tense up and think to myself "oh no who is this with their strange dog - is that dog leashed?" etc. he'll begin acting the bad ass and start barking.

Also on the other end of the spectrum, he still doesn't see you and your dog, but I recognize you and call out "hey Cowgirl and Cowgirl doggie" he picks up on my enthusiasm for seeing you and your dog, wags his tail, barks a little in excitement and waits for someone to sniff his butt so he can "play" with them.

It's not that a dog "knows his kind", but he knows his/her owner and their emotional cues.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Just an observation....

At the parade Saturday, the place was crawlling with dogs. Every kind of dog you could think of was there, amongst the sea of people staging for the parade. I noticed that Basil behaved differently when he saw a greyhound, than when he saw other dogs.

He would just look and sniff at most as they walked by, but when he saw a greyhound, his ears would perk up and he'd become very alert and still.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just an observation....

At the parade Saturday, the place was crawlling with dogs. Every kind of dog you could think of was there, amongst the sea of people staging for the parade. I noticed that Basil behaved differently when he saw a greyhound, than when he saw other dogs.

He would just look and sniff at most as they walked by, but when he saw a greyhound, his ears would perk up and he'd become very alert and still.

So even dogs are bigots.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There is an interesting point to this thread. Virtual cookies to anyone who can figure out what it is.