Former Berwyn Heights Mayor and military veteran seeks to unseat Hoyer

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
JEWITT ANNOUNCES CANDIDACY FOR U.S. CONGRESS
Former Berwyn Heights Mayor and military veteran seeks to unseat Hoyer

ANNAPOLIS- Former Berwyn Heights Mayor Bradley Jewitt announced his candidacy for U.S. Congress as part of a whirlwind tour of Maryland’s Fifth Congressional District on Friday, September 26, 2003.

Jewitt (R), 33, made announcement remarks at a location in each of the five counties within the district. He began the day at the State House in Annapolis (Anne Arundel County) before jumping into a van to head to the Berwyn Heights (Prince George’s) Town Center, the Calvert County Courthouse, the St. Mary’s County Courthouse and the Indian Head (Charles) Seniors’ Community Center.

Jewitt is seeking to unseat incumbent Steny Hoyer (D). “It is time for a change…it is time for a new voice with new ideas, and a new energy to represent us in Congress,” he said in his announcement.

Jewitt, a Marine Major, was recalled to active duty with the Marine Corps Reserve in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in January and, therefore, forced to resign as Mayor of Berwyn Heights. As one of the first elected officials in the country to be recalled, his resignation received national media attention. He completed seven months of active duty in August after serving stateside as a watch officer at a classified location.

Most recently, Jewitt resigned his Federal job as the Head of the Facilities Management Section at Marine Corps Headquarters in order to focus his “attention fulltime on the needs of the district.” The Hatch Act prohibits Federal employees from being candidates in partisan elections.

In his statement Jewitt identified himself as a moderate who will focus on issues such as economic growth, increased transportation funding, homeland security, and national defense. “You will find that my moderate views better represent the Fifth District and that my background better resembles the District’s average voter.”

Jewitt also quickly established himself as a supporter of local economic needs saying, “I will work hard to strengthen our economy and create jobs. Having been a Federal employee, I support the 4.1% pay raise for our Federal Employees.

Jewitt further attacked Hoyer’s (D) “liberal voting record.” Jewitt added, “We are suffering from the neglect of a representative that is more interested in his party leadership role than representing his home district.”

Citing the traffic woes in Southern Maryland, Jewitt promised to work towards developing an updated transportation system for the 21st Century in the Fifth District. A system that will include a mass transit option for the southern part of the district.

Jewitt expressed the need for federal dollars to reach out to all levels of Government in order to strengthen Homeland Security efforts. “I have felt the strain of a Town struggling to find the funds to outfit our first responders with the equipment they need to ensure their safety,” said Jewitt.

Jewitt’s military experience was evident as he passionately proclaimed, “I believe that we must equip our military with the resources it needs to defend our freedom and keep the peace. And make no mistake; I will fight tooth and nail at any attempt to close our District’s vital military installations.”

Jewitt will need the support of voters from both parties as Berwyn Heights Councilman Ronald Shane, a Democrat pointed out.

"I could not think of a better person to run for public office," Shane said. "Brad is a man of integrity and intuition who is dedicated and will apply himself to any task he takes. People need to vote for the individual they feel is going to do the right job by them regardless of any party affiliation,” said Shane.

"Brad Jewitt has a great future as a candidate in the 5th Congressional District, and has the full support of the Maryland Republican Party," said John Kane, Chairman of the Maryland Republican Party.

In May 2002, Jewitt was elected Mayor of Berwyn Heights appearing on nearly 80% of the ballots. Jewitt has also served as a Berwyn Heights town councilman and president of the town's Parks and Recreation Council. He served concurrently as a member of the Board of Directors for the Prince George's County Municipal Association, the Maryland 193 Revitalization Task Force and the Maryland Municipal League's Legislative Committee.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
There was an article about this guy in the Enterprise about a month ago.

Talk about a sacrificial lamb.

Regardless of whether you are a Democrat or Republican you have to recognize two very powerful things in Hoyer's favor.

1. He has done a lot to preserve the military bases (and therefore bolster the economy) of So. MD and
2. He is number 2 in Congress and as such has a lot of power to influence policy.

We'd be crazy to vote Hoyer out.

Originally posted by cmcdanal
There was an article about this guy in the Enterprise about a month ago.

Talk about a sacrificial lamb.

Regardless of whether you are a Democrat or Republican you have to recognize two very powerful things in Hoyer's favor.

1. He has done a lot to preserve the military bases (and therefore bolster the economy) of So. MD and
2. He is number 2 in Congress and as such has a lot of power to influence policy.

We'd be crazy to vote Hoyer out.
You forgot some.
3. He gets the Govt. workers our raises every year. (I may be a Republican, but he gets my vote EVERY time)
4. He's a democrat, running in P.G. county. (Like they wll EVER vote for a Republican, they would rather vote for a dead Dem.)

T.Rally

Hoyer's congressional voting record is abhorrent from a republican standpoint. I won't jump on the "saved the govt worker" bandwagon. Its time for him to go.

Dymphna

Originally posted by T.Rally
Hoyer's congressional voting record is abhorrent from a republican standpoint. I won't jump on the "saved the govt worker" bandwagon. Its time for him to go.

But can Jewitt (or anyone else) pull the right strings, cash in on the right favors to keep Pax River and Indian Head open AND growing? Everytime you turn around, someone is trying to pull the plug on one or the other. Charles Co can survive w/o Indian Head, but if Pax closes or downsizes, St. M's will tank.

Yeah, look at Montgomery County. They got rid of Morella and now they can't get Sh!t from the Govt.

T.Rally

Originally posted by cmcdanal
But can Jewitt (or anyone else) pull the right strings, cash in on the right favors to keep Pax River and Indian Head open AND growing? Everytime you turn around, someone is trying to pull the plug on one or the other. Charles Co can survive w/o Indian Head, but if Pax closes or downsizes, St. M's will tank.
Jewitts problem will be coming up with enough money to even mount a campaign against Hoyer. Rep. Hoyer's hold on the area is so strong that no one will be willing to give Jewitt any money. Like you said "sacrificial lamb." Based on his liberal voting record, I could never vote for Rep. Hoyer. Never have and never will.

I know that Hoyer has been an advocate for the government workers within his district. My question to you is what has he done specifically for Pax River and Indian Head? I ask because I don't know. Pax was never on the BRAC list was it?

Hessian

How far have we drifted!

The goal of a representative is NOT TO SQUEEZE EVERY DROP OF BLOOD out of the federal government! This is yet another sign that civics class is lost to this generation.
We will forever be in debt, the horde of suckling pigs that we are with the exhausted mamma sow unable to move.

Quit being led by polls, and PACs, quit posturing, quit putting your name on parks-buildings-bridges and whatever else and simply LEAD (since I am asking him to do the impossible, this is a request for him to resign, quit or better yet LOSE) so that someone else will demonstrate leadership instead of an imitation of a suckling pig.

I can't remember life before Hoyer but it must have been better.

Dymphna

Re: How far have we drifted!

Originally posted by Hessian

Before Hoyer, was Roy Dyson (yes, House of Delegates Dyson) He got redistricted out of office after the 1990 census was used to move Southern Md into Hoyer's district.

Dymphna

Originally posted by T.Rally

I know that Hoyer has been an advocate for the government workers within his district. My question to you is what has he done specifically for Pax River and Indian Head? I ask because I don't know. Pax was never on the BRAC list was it?

I've been searching for a source to back up my statement that Pax was on the BRAC proposal list once upon a time but can't find it. So I have to rely on anticdotal information.

I grew up in Charles and until about 1991, I was only vaguely aware that there was some sort of Navy base in St. M's. But in 1991, I started working in Leonardtown and I remember everyone talking about BRAC and how Pax was in trouble. Then they were talking about how the leading redistricting proposal was going to make Hoyer our congressman. Next thing you know certain operations were transferred to Pax. Pax was expanding and Hoyer became the congressman for the area to loud cheers from all whose livelihood depended on Pax.

I cannot find anywhere saying that Pax was on the list in 1991, but I did find this.
As recommended by BRAC 91, most functions at Warminster move to Patuxent River leaving a small detachment to operate special purpose facilities that would not be economical to move.

BRAC 93 provided for the relocation of the Naval Air Systems Command Headquarters to the Naval Air Station at Patuxent River, MD.

NAWCAD, Trenton was disestablished by BRAC 93 and all necessary functions, personnel and facilities transferred to NAWCAD, Patuxent River and Arnold Engineering Development Center, TN

Functions at Indianapolis will be transfered to NAWCAD, Patuxent River, MD; NAWCWD, China Lake, CA; and NSWC Crane Division, Crane IN. The facility at Indianapolis will close. (BRAC 95)
source

That same source mentions additions to Dahlgren, which may not be in Maryland, but certainly affects the area.

You can't tell me that the fact that Pax has RECEIVED personnel and infrastructure during Base realignment and CLOSURES has nothing to do with Hoyer being a high ranking member of Congress and member of the Appropriations Committee. Politics 101 says don't p!ss off the people that can make your life miserable. Hoyer has the power to make a lot of congressman's lives miserable, everyone wants to court his favor, everyone wants to "scratch his back" in return for a little scratch of their own.

As soon as Hoyer is out, there is going to be a feeding frenzy by all those congressmen whose districts got picked over during BRACs and Maryland's 5th district is going to be dinner.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Pax was on the Brac list, not only did we prove our unique value but we ended up better suited for consolidating activities from various other locations (Trenton, Warminster, Lakehurst, NAVAIR).

Now, how valuable was Hoyer in all of this? I don't think he was that significant at all as the list sent to Congress came from DOD. It was the DOD that felt that Pax needed to remain. The workers and the work capable of being accomplished at Pax are what made us survivors. This should hold true for the next round of BRAC that is spooling up.

Bertha Venation

This is yet another sign that civics class is lost to this generation.
What is civics class?
:cheesy: Just teasing, Hessian. :wink:

I haven't lived in SOMD very long, and, truth to tell, I haven't read up on Hoyer's record. Because of that I didn't vote either for or against him last year. But I will next year, and since I've now heard of this new challenger I'll read up on both of them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
First of all, everyone go to Steny's website and tell him how you want him to vote on school vouchers:

http://www.hoyer.house.gov/

Second of all, Steny is not only the Democratic Whip, but he's a member of the House Appropriations Committee. He's a pretty powerful Congressman and he was certainly instrumental in keeping Pax open.

I was always torn over Steny when I lived down there and voting day came around. On one hand, there's my job and the jobs of others to consider. On the other hand, he's a liberal Democrat.
:shrug:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

The goal of a representative is NOT TO SQUEEZE EVERY DROP OF BLOOD out of the federal government!
But it seems to be the goal is to get elected and stay elected. What better way than to instill fear into constituents that none of the bounty funneled to this area would be possible without him?

I can and it was.

Oh, yeah. Anybody else remember Hoyer's ad where he proudly proclaimed "I am a tax-tax, spend-spend Democrat"? :duh:

B

Bruzilla

I don't remember Pax ever being in danger of closing. As I recall it didn't even survive the first round of discussions. What was in danger was St. Inigoes, which I believe was "closed" under BRAC. It was "sorry to see you go St Inigoes" and "Hello Webster Field.":biggrin: Just change the name on the door and voila! One base closes and another opens. Same thing happened out in NAS Moffet Field, CA. BRAC forced the closure of NAS Moffet Field, which resulted in the opening of the Moffet Field NASA facility. Same place, new name.

They did move some activities from St Inigoes up to NAS and down to Naval Station Charleston, SC.

This guy Jewitt had me interested right up until he started talking about wanting to blow more money on first responders... then my interest tanked.

Dymphna

Ya know they talk about Jewitt running against Hoyer, but we haven't had a primary yet.

Which one of you fine Republican commentators are going to sign up?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Bruzilla
I don't remember Pax ever being in danger of closing. As I recall it didn't even survive the first round of discussions. What was in danger was St. Inigoes, which I believe was "closed" under BRAC. It was "sorry to see you go St Inigoes" and "Hello Webster Field.":biggrin: Just change the name on the door and voila! One base closes and another opens. Same thing happened out in NAS Moffet Field, CA. BRAC forced the closure of NAS Moffet Field, which resulted in the opening of the Moffet Field NASA facility. Same place, new name.

They did move some activities from St Inigoes up to NAS and down to Naval Station Charleston, SC.

This guy Jewitt had me interested right up until he started talking about wanting to blow more money on first responders... then my interest tanked.
No danger, I guess being on the list when other activities aren't makes it a danger, at least for me. I know the AFGE local was concerned, as were many in management at the time.

St. Inigoes never left, it has been Webster Field for ever, and it was the Naval Electronics Systems Engineering Activity (NESEA) functions that were moved to Charleston.