I'm not saying Happy Holidays!

get4real

U-WISHHH
What makes me mad is that when you work in retail they don't want you to say Merry Christmas you need to say Happy Holidays so you don't offend anyone. I'm pretty sure 90% of the population celebrates christmas but I'm supposed to not say it so I don't offend the other 10%.

Well you know what?
MERRY CHRISTMAS

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
:smoochy: :love:
Quit retail, I'll support you! :lmao:

Seriously, if you can afford it, I'd say it until they fire you if it bothers you that much. Why go against your beliefs? I really wonder who would complain?
If they say they don't celebrate Christmas then say have a nice day.
It wouldn't offend me if they erred about my religious affiliation. Say happy Hanukkah to me and I'll correct you. Happy Kwanzaa and I'll say they probably saw me in the summer when I was real dark. People need to shut up and get real (haha). Too many people have no life and spend their time worrying about who they might offend. Lots of people offend me, so what? Get over it I tell them.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I really wonder who would complain?
I thought I heard that PE Obama was going to use his assumed pseudo-powers to make a law requiring every American to complain about a certain number of ridiculous minutia daily. Kind of like the USDA's Food Pyramid guidelines, except that it's less useful and we get a boot to the forehead if we don't do as he demands.

But that's just what I heard. :shrug:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
I thought I heard that PE Obama was going to use his assumed pseudo-powers to make a law requiring every American to complain about a certain number of ridiculous minutia daily. Kind of like the USDA's Food Pyramid guidelines, except that it's less useful and we get a boot to the forehead if we don't do as he demands.

But that's just what I heard. :shrug:
I'm not sure I understand where you're going with this but I wouldn't consider this "ridiculous minutia". It's a subtle beginning to the end of free speech in America. IMHO.
In all my years dealing with people on the job, I never had ONE person
complain when I wished them a Merry Christmas and I met lots of people every day.

What makes me mad is that when you work in retail they don't want you to say Merry Christmas you need to say Happy Holidays so you don't offend anyone. I'm pretty sure 90% of the population celebrates christmas but I'm supposed to not say it so I don't offend the other 10%.

Well you know what?
MERRY CHRISTMAS

Let us know who this employer is. They can tell you what to say, but they can't force anyone to shop there. Merry Christmas.

Cowgirl

Honestly, who really cares if the cashier at Walmart says happy holidays or merry Christmas? :rolleyes: It's not going to ruin my Christmas if someone says happy holidays.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
:smoochy: :love:
Quit retail, I'll support you! :lmao:

Seriously, if you can afford it, I'd say it until they fire you if it bothers you that much. Why go against your beliefs? I really wonder who would complain?
If they say they don't celebrate Christmas then say have a nice day.
It wouldn't offend me if they erred about my religious affiliation. Say happy Hanukkah to me and I'll correct you. Happy Kwanzaa and I'll say they probably saw me in the summer when I was real dark. People need to shut up and get real (haha). Too many people have no life and spend their time worrying about who they might offend. Lots of people offend me, so what? Get over it I tell them.

:yeahthat: Well, except for the support thing - don't have enough money for that.

Why don't you just say both? Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas! That way you're following your employer's directive by saying what they want you to and you're also exercising freedom of speech and religion and gosh, they wouldn't want you to file a lawsuit (with support of the ACLU) or God forbid, talk to a news reporter who would just LOVE to put this story out on the air close to Christmas (think last year....)!:evil:

get4real

U-WISHHH
I don't work in retail anymore but if you start to pay attention when you go to stores 9 out 10 people will say happy holidays instead of merry christmas. I said it anyways and I was corrected a few times by jewish people but nobody made a big deal about it. It just makes me mad that they try so hard to control everything.

swm462

I was told "merry Christmas" by a cashier at the Marshalls in Annapolis today. It took me by surprise.
I'm not sure what I enjoyed more. Her wishing me a merry Christmas, or a couple of minutes of staring at her large breasts.

ChicagoGirl82

Well you know what?
MERRY CHRISTMAS

I agree!!! My step-dad actually ordered a box of buttons that say "It's o.k to say Merry Christmas". He said he is going to were them and every time someone says happy holidays to him he is going to point to his button. He has handed them out like hot cakes and his priest even asked him to order him a box. I WANT ONE!

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
If you own a business or are a manager, you get to control it. And your employees should probably do what you tell them to or find another job.
And the owners should probably be doing what their owners (see customers) tell them to do. So when there is an obvious tide of resistance against the bland and generic "Happy Holidays", and especially if a customer says it first, or is wearing a button declaring "It's okay..." the employee should feel free to say what they want without fear that the bitter hag who's next in line will file a complaint.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And the owners should probably be doing what their owners (see customers) tell them to do. So when there is an obvious tide of resistance against the bland and generic "Happy Holidays", and especially if a customer says it first, or is wearing a button declaring "It's okay..." the employee should feel free to say what they want without fear that the bitter hag who's next in line will file a complaint.

I find it hard to believe that the biggest ax Christians have to grind is whether someone says Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays.

Christmas is one day. The holidays is the whole season, from Thanksgiving to New Years. Is it not possible that they wish you good cheer for not only the one day, but the whole shebang? *Must* it be an attack on Jesus?

:rolleyes:

K

kris31280

Well you know what?
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Ya know, this has never offended me to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. When I buy cards to send out, I always buy the ones that say "Season's Greetings" or "Happy Holidays!" I sign my cards with "Happy Holidays!"

90% is a bit high to assume that they are the ones who celebrate Christmas... I'd say you're probably closer to a 60/40 split.