Westmeath Condos behind hickory hills...

hokie11

I just put an offer into a condo there and was curious if anyone either live there currently or know much about the HOA regulations? They have a fenced in deck, so I wanted to make sure gas grills are allowed and also what their stance on pets is. I have neither yet, but these are on my hope-to-get list as soon as I get a place

Any other insights on that area would be greatly appreciated! I have yet to ratify anything, so I can definitely back out if someone were to tell me sexual predators lived in every condo hah :)

tyia!

anniemay

I live there now, I rent through Hickory Hills who owns 2 of the buildings and rents out the units as options to buy.

They do not allow grills on the patio, it's in the rules. They are REALLY strict with the rules they have from what I understand. The HOA is annoying, posts a lot of surveys and seem to be high on fee's compared to other areas. Almost $100 a month I think. I don't have to pay them seperate since I rent...so I'm not positive. I saw an email thread about the dues going up for next year.

As for pets, I believe the breed has to be "okayed" by the HOA. But it's your place to own, so it's your call on the policy. The breed may even just be for renters, but I would ask just to be sure.

The units don't have sound barriers really, so I hear a lot of walking in my unit. They are really nice on the inside though. I love the bathrooms especially!!! Talk to some of the residents there, I have heard of problems with the buildings shifting and tiles and such cracking in the unit. I don't know how true it is.

Hope this helps! :)

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
I just put an offer into a condo there and was curious if anyone either live there currently or know much about the HOA regulations? They have a fenced in deck, so I wanted to make sure gas grills are allowed and also what their stance on pets is. I have neither yet, but these are on my hope-to-get list as soon as I get a place

Any other insights on that area would be greatly appreciated! I have yet to ratify anything, so I can definitely back out if someone were to tell me sexual predators lived in every condo hah :)

tyia!

Considering this one in foreclosure sold for $216,961 in 2006 and is now for sale for $139,400 after a measly 198 days on the market, I'd say sexual predators are going to be the least of your worries down the road.

:popcorn:

- Property Finder

results

nana

Nana

tyia!

And you did not ask any of these questions...........why??????

hotcoffee

tyia!

Frank Dawson at WKIK lives at the condos and I know he has a dog and a grill. He talks about them on the air all the time.

You can go on a website to find out about predators but my guess is there aren't any more in the condos then there are anywhere else.

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
Inquiring Minds

Frank Dawson at WKIK lives at the condos and I know he has a dog and a grill. He talks about them on the air all the time.

You can go on a website to find out about predators but my guess is there aren't any more in the condos then there are anywhere else.

What's your guess on this: you figure he talks about the condos because he thinks they're awesome and wants everyone to know where he lives, or because he gets paid to talk about them?

hotcoffee

What's your guess on this: you figure he talks about the condos because he thinks they're awesome and wants everyone to know where he lives, or because he gets paid to talk about them?

I know he doesn't get paid to talk about them... as a matter of fact... sometimes he complains on air... they definitely would not pay for that...:blahblah:

He talks about taking his dog to the groomer... and about the grilling on his deck.... and he talks about his condo community.... [when he complains]....

1+1+1=3 where I come from....:coffee:

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
My mother lives there.

They do not allow grills. But if you own the place, you can have any pet you want--you're just supposed to clean up after it when it craps in the common areas (but no one seems to do so).

When the buildings were constructed, the load-bearing trusses were installed incorrectly. Inspector didn't catch it. Units started sinking--lots of damage to floors, walls, doorframes, etc. Some of the buildings have now been repaired due to homeowners complaints and finally the warranty company stepping in. It's taken almost two years since complaint #1 for the builder to admit to the shoddy workmanship and make efforts to repair the interior damage to the sunken units.

Also, the Hickory Hills area in general has gone downhill in the past few years. Homeowners got transferred out, but in this bum market couldn't sell their houses so they rented them and the riff-raff moved in...vandalism ensued. Rocks thrown through people's house windows, vehicles damaged, personal property "liberated", fires set at the playground, etc.

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
My mother lives there.

They do not allow grills. But if you own the place, you can have any pet you want--you're just supposed to clean up after it when it craps in the common areas (but no one seems to do so).

When the buildings were constructed, the load-bearing trusses were installed incorrectly. Inspector didn't catch it. Units started sinking--lots of damage to floors, walls, doorframes, etc. Some of the buildings have now been repaired due to homeowners complaints and finally the warranty company stepping in. It's taken almost two years since complaint #1 for the builder to admit to the shoddy workmanship and make efforts to repair the interior damage to the sunken units.

Also, the Hickory Hills area in general has gone downhill in the past few years. Homeowners got transferred out, but in this bum market couldn't sell their houses so they rented them and the riff-raff moved in...vandalism ensued. Rocks thrown through people's house windows, vehicles damaged, personal property "liberated", fires set at the playground, etc.

Holy crap! How do you fix trusses in a building that size after the fact?

:jameo:

Lexib_

Blah.. Blah...Blah
I live there now, I rent through Hickory Hills who owns 2 of the buildings and rents out the units as options to buy.

They do not allow grills on the patio, it's in the rules. They are REALLY strict with the rules they have from what I understand. The HOA is annoying, posts a lot of surveys and seem to be high on fee's compared to other areas. Almost $100 a month I think. I don't have to pay them seperate since I rent...so I'm not positive. I saw an email thread about the dues going up for next year.

As for pets, I believe the breed has to be "okayed" by the HOA. But it's your place to own, so it's your call on the policy. The breed may even just be for renters, but I would ask just to be sure.

The units don't have sound barriers really, so I hear a lot of walking in my unit. They are really nice on the inside though. I love the bathrooms especially!!! Talk to some of the residents there, I have heard of problems with the buildings shifting and tiles and such cracking in the unit. I don't know how true it is.

Hope this helps! :)

The condo fee's are 192.00 per month plus your mortgage...

jayboy

Pfft you don't impress me

Hey, I have friends that live there and family and they love it. Hickory Hills got a bad rap, but it now that most of the flat top refugees (spelling?) have left, the place is really nice.

I go over there a lot and thinking about getting a place over there, my only hold up is the getting in and out of there. Which is a major pain.

I have seen people with grills in the condos and when walking in the neighborhood, I have seen pits and other animals.

The person you should be talking to is your real estate agent.

jayboy

My mother lives there.

I am going to disagree with you about the neighborhood and the dogs. I am over there quite a bit, and walk with my friends and family when they have their dogs out and everyone I everyone I have seen, clean up after their pets.

The "riff raff" is everywhere, Breton Bay, WildeWood, so on and so on. When we lived in Breton the same things you listed occured.

Last edited:

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
Hey, I have friends that live there and family and they love it. Hickory Hills got a bad rap, but it now that most of the flat top refugees (spelling?) have left, the place is really nice.

I go over there a lot and thinking about getting a place over there, my only hold up is the getting in and out of there. Which is a major pain.

I have seen people with grills in the condos and when walking in the neighborhood, I have seen pits and other animals.

The person you should be talking to is your real estate agent.

Trust me, there's no need for me to talk to a real estate agent about a Hickory Hills condo. My guess is they'll be worth $90k in a few years and look like the Cardinal Building in the New Jack City movie.

jayboy

Trust me, there's no need for me to talk to a real estate agent about a Hickory Hills condo. My guess is they'll be worth $90k in a few years and look like the Cardinal Building in the New Jack City movie.

The market is down and has been down for quite some time and who knows maybe you are right, but I love the area and so do all the people I know that live there, not just the condos but the homes as well.

babybear9120

tyia!

i also live in westmeath condos in the building across from Frank. it is nice, except for some loud people on my floor. i dont know anybody in these buildings. if anyone that lives in these buildings also want talk, pls pm me. as far as the buildings, in my unit, we have some settlement issues also. we have cracks on the walls above doorframes

awpitt

Main Streeter

tyia!
Shouldn't you have researched this before making an offer?

hokie11

Grill/pets is least of my worries. I just want to get out of the crummy rent I am doing now. A bit disappointed in the structure comments and seems mixed on the grill. not allowed but also not really enforced maybe? I've been calling around to try to find more info on the HOA rules, but can't seem to find a solid answer without having to be redirected 2-3 times. I sure hope the value of these condos doesn't drop to 90k. That one condo posted earlier at 139k was a foreclosure I was also looking at and it sold for $174k. I did see the HOA fee of nearly 200/mo which is quite high. I expect to only live there for 3-4 years and get out after I've saved up some cash for a single family home... and also assuming I ATLEAST break even on the condo when I sell it.

Regarding the noise level.. is it really that bad? I stuck around in the 2nd floor condo for over 2 hours hoping to hear someone upstairs but didn't hear them, so I figure either they weren't there or it was fairly sound-dampening