Nintendo Wii

LyndaS

Gamestop should have them, even though they're sold out everywhere else. I've been there twice in the past 2 weeks and every time they've had plenty on display behind the counter.

Chainsaw Slayer

Nintendo is so stupid. I just don't understand why they don't expand thier manufacturing. The Wii has been on sale for a couple years now. There is no reason for production shortages.

sparkyaclown

Nintendo is so stupid. I just don't understand why they don't expand thier manufacturing. The Wii has been on sale for a couple years now. There is no reason for production shortages.

Sure there is, it keeps the demand high. If it's hard to get, the masses assume it must be great and therefore they need it. Nintendo has managed to overtake global sales of XBox using this tactic and XBox basically had a year head start.

5thstreet

Or maybe not so stupid

It has been widely reported that a major factor in Nintendo's seemingly slow production ramp up is an insistence on making money on each unit sold. Most of the other current generation video systems have been sold at a loss. Given the choice of making a small amount of money on each unit sold or losing money on a larger number of units sold they have decided to make money.

I suspect that this instance on making money is at least partly explained by the nature of the companies involved. Both Sony and Microsoft have large profits and cash flows from other lines of business. As I understand it the video game business is pretty much it for Nintendo.