Purse Snatching

Khurley

I received an email warning about a purse snatching in the Dunkirk Safeway parking lot and a broken car window in the Giant lot in Dunkirk. I didn't see anything in the news reports? Does anyone know if this email is real?

C

CalvertNewbie

I received an email warning about a purse snatching in the Dunkirk Safeway parking lot and a broken car window in the Giant lot in Dunkirk. I didn't see anything in the news reports? Does anyone know if this email is real?

I don't know if it's real but there's been a lot of that going on in Prince Frederick so it wouldn't surprise me if the punks headed 10 minutes north to do the same crap up there. Yesterday morning, a lady parked next to me in the Safeway parking lot in PF. A cop pulled up and told her to take her navi out of her window, before it got stolen. He said they've seen a lot of thefts from vehicles around here lately.

I don't know if it's real but there's been a lot of that going on in Prince Frederick so it wouldn't surprise me if the punks headed 10 minutes north to do the same crap up there. Yesterday morning, a lady parked next to me in the Safeway parking lot in PF. A cop pulled up and told her to take her navi out of her window, before it got stolen. He said they've seen a lot of thefts from vehicles around here lately.

Things like that are just invitations. I always hide whatever I have in the truck even if it's only a few minutes.

JimW711

Driving the Z
Things like that are just invitations. I always hide whatever I have in the truck even if it's only a few minutes.

Only thing about hiding the navigation systems is that in most cases the suction cup attachment leaves ring marks on the inside of the windshield and that alerts the crook that there might be one in the vehicle hidden. It may take them a few seconds longer, but heck... they're criminals.
:whistle:

kayo

Navigation devices are a hot ticket for thieves. For anyone that has one of these, most of them have the capability of programming your "home" address in there and then the thief also has your home address. The suction cup rings on the windshield are dead give aways that you have a navigation device in your vehicle. I purchased a weighted holder for mine that the device clips to and you just sit it on your dashboard. That way you just take the whole thing off the dashboard and store it under your seat, console, etc.

C

CalvertNewbie

Navigation devices are a hot ticket for thieves. For anyone that has one of these, most of them have the capability of programming your "home" address in there and then the thief also has your home address. The suction cup rings on the windshield are dead give aways that you have a navigation device in your vehicle. I purchased a weighted holder for mine that the device clips to and you just sit it on your dashboard. That way you just take the whole thing off the dashboard and store it under your seat, console, etc.

Stupidly, I never thought about the thug bothering to go through the addresses I have stored in mine, including my home addy. Good heads up! Mine is installed in the dash so it's less likely to get stolen. It seems that around here, they like to steal whatever they can get their hands on quickly and get outta there before the cops show up.

Also keep in mind that when the punk is going through all of your personal belongings in your car, he can get your home address if you keep your registration card in your car. I worked in auto claims for many years and we used to warn people about that.

kayo

Great point about the registration card! Back to the thread about the purse snatchings . . a friend of mine at work was telling me that her elderly mother was in the grocery store last week locally and a young man came up to her asking her advice about some ingredients on a label of a box he had in his hand. She opened her purse to get her glasses out so she could read the label. As she was studying the ingredients so that she could advise this young man, he stole her wallet out of her purse. She said he made some excuse that he had to go quickly. Once she got to the checkout counter, she realized her wallet was gone. So, beware of this trick!! I hope this thief is caught! The store did have cameras so they are reviewing those.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Wow. Thanks for the heads up on this. I was shopping yesterday after work & then today had to make the rounds between Safeway, Kmart, Wally's - all in PF.