Xmas Travel

dgates80

Land of the lost
Hi ya'll,

I am in Denver, trying to get home. I am writing this from a hotel room that United bought for me.

So, eating dinner in the hotel lounge along with literally *dozens* of other stranded travelers, a common theme came to light:

1. Patience. It is gonna take you longer than you planned to get from A to B, so expect it. It's the winter weather.

2. Anticipate a unplanned layover at (city X). And, it might not be where you *think* you are going either.

3. Carry a backpack with basic toiletries and a change of clothes.

4. Bring a book. Maybe two.

5. Be EARLY. Like, hours early.

6. Keep a happy attitude in the face of bad news... the old "honey vs. vinigar" thing, being grumpy and then that gate agent is going to give you that extra meal voucher? Being nice helps.

dgates80

Land of the lost
1045am out of Denver. I will be home about 8pm tonight. (crossing fingers). But hey, I did get a bump to First! :-0

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am writing this from a hotel room that United bought for me.

American didn't give me crap when they stranded me in Chicago two summers ago. :ohwell:

Tomorrow I go to TX, but I routed myself through Dallas to avoid weather-related delays. If BWI is good, I should have no problems. Even if they have a freak storm in DFW and my flight to Austin is cancelled, I can just rent a car and be on my way.

American didn't give me crap when they stranded me in Chicago two summers ago. :ohwell:

Tomorrow I go to TX, but I routed myself through Dallas to avoid weather-related delays. If BWI is good, I should have no problems. Even if they have a freak storm in DFW and my flight to Austin is cancelled, I can just rent a car and be on my way.

While the cat's away.........

:lmao: Oh yeah.. Dave is still here....

Safe Trip!

Just heard on teh news that a plane out of Denver to Houston ran off the runway today. Didn't catch the flight # or time.

Geeze... hope that wasn't Dgates flight.....

Update: No, it was a Continental flight, Dgates was flying United.

Last edited:

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
We are leaving warm Texas, it was 80 today, and flying to Fargo ND to visit the the hubby's family for a week. It is supposed to be:

Tomorrow: Bitterly cold. Windy. Snow flurries and a few snow showers throughout the day. Dangerous wind chills as low as -35F. High -3F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 30%.​

Beautiful hey? Grandma is going to meet us at the airport with snowsuits and real boots for the kids. I don't even own a real winter coat anymore. :ohwell:

Be warned Vrai, tomorrow thru Tuesday is going to be getting colder. Pack accordingly.

dgates80

Land of the lost
Just heard on teh news that a plane out of Denver to Houston ran off the runway today. Didn't catch the flight # or time.

Geeze... hope that wasn't Dgates flight.....

Update: No, it was a Continental flight, Dgates was flying United.

Nope, made it home last night at 9pm, of *course* the flight was late. Glad to be home though!

dgates80

Land of the lost

Usually the airlines are pretty good about meal vouchers and rooms, but they won't volunteer them either, you do have to ask. And, it is often at the discretion of the gate agent, too... so asking nicely helps. Obviously a challenge for you, Vrai! (just kidding...)

Seriously, it can be a challenge to remain civil under those circumstances for anybody...