Fireball?

I was just out walking the dogs and saw the coolest meteorite I ever saw. Bright green, maybe a little blueish, and larger than any I've seen before. I just glanced up and saw it for maybe a second before it flared out.

I was just out walking the dogs and saw the coolest meteorite I ever saw. Bright green, maybe a little blueish, and larger than any I've seen before. I just glanced up and saw it for maybe a second before it flared out.

Good omen. I've seen green fireballs only 3 other times in my life, and something really good happened within a few days. And I mean REALLY good things.

Loper

Animal Poor!

I saw it!!! I caught about 10 seconds of it. I looked up and saw bright red, orange, and yellow flares with a green tail for about 4 seconds then it looked like a white light for about 2 seconds and then it went into a burst of green and blue with a tail before going out. :yay: I thought to myself that was the biggest shooting star I ever saw... :buddies:

I saw it!!! I caught about 10 seconds of it. I looked up and saw bright red, orange, and yellow flares with a green tail for about 4 seconds then it looked like a white light for about 2 seconds and then it went into a burst of green and blue with a tail before going out. :yay: I thought to myself that was the biggest shooting star I ever saw... :buddies:

I guess that's the part I caught. Wish I'd been looking up earlier.

smithchick231

i saw one of those about 2 weeks ago around 845pm. i was traveling towards PG on brandywine rd and it headed toward andrews. My hubby and buddy and i couldnt believe it, it was one of the wierdest things we have ever seen. At least now i know we didnt witness some odd air force craft. Does anyone know if these meteors are common or are we going through a meteor storm right now?

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I caught about 10 seconds of it. I looked up and saw bright red, orange, and yellow flares with a green tail for about 4 seconds then it looked like a white light for about 2 seconds and then it went into a burst of green and blue with a tail before going out.
After reading DR's post, I was thinking the green/blue would be an indication of its composition. But after reading your post and the amount of time you saw it, I was wondering if it may also/instead have to do with it temperature and where it was in the atmosphere. According to Wiki, it's due to the composition - could've been rock or metal.

Does anyone know if these meteors are common or are we going through a meteor storm right now?
There are two storms that occur in mid/late December, but a storm would last more on the order of 1 or 2 days, not weeks.

Pushrod

Patriot
If you have the time, please report your finding to the American Meteor Society, as they catalogue all 'fireball' sightings.

The American Meteor Society

I saw one about 3 weeks ago out in West Virginia that was bright enough to turn the night time into day. Pretty wild.

lak

i saw one of those about 2 weeks ago around 845pm. i was traveling towards PG on brandywine rd and it headed toward andrews. My hubby and buddy and i couldnt believe it, it was one of the wierdest things we have ever seen. At least now i know we didnt witness some odd air force craft. Does anyone know if these meteors are common or are we going through a meteor storm right now?

I saw that one too, was travelling south on Route 4, saw it over Waysons Corner area. My son thought I was hallucinating after working many many long hours.

After reading DR's post, I was thinking the green/blue would be an indication of its composition. But after reading your post and the amount of time you saw it, I was wondering if it may also/instead have to do with it temperature and where it was in the atmosphere. According to Wiki, it's due to the composition - could've been rock or metal.

There are two storms that occur in mid/late December, but a storm would last more on the order of 1 or 2 days, not weeks.

Probably composed of various materials. Like say a tool kit?

K

Kain99

Enjoy the sight now. When you see this in 2012......well, that'll be the last thing you see. :huggy: