Wind Turbines for St Mary's

SamSpade

Does anyone know about these?

There was a blip in the Southern Maryland Extra about how the county commissioners unanimously approved residential wind mills for creating electricity. They even provided a link to the Wind Swept program, which is a state sponsored program providing grants for building residential wind turbines.

I've sifted through some of the information, and I've browsed the net - but I'm curious if anyone knows of a case in St Mary's where someone has actually DONE this.

It interests me, because I have enough property to build one on, but I'm skeptical on the return on investment. Even WITH a grant, I don't want to build something I'll never break even with.

Now as I understand it, references to how much kW's a turbine yields is based on assumptions on average wind speed and optimal conditions and efficiency. So while a turbine may claim to yield 2 kW, you might live in a zone where the wind is so weak, it's never going to do you any good.

They make them as small as roof mounted turbines about the size of a large dish antenna (which with turbulence, no one really recommends) and as big as 12 feet across mounted on 40 foot poles.

I guess my sentiment is, should I bother with it? What's the optimal selection for a residence for decent ROI? Tiny roof-mounted turbines cost up to 2000, but will likely only save 30 bucks a year.

Anyone know anything?

Saw one on a TV show that looked like an updated version of the old roof vent turines. I'd be interested in one of those.

R

RadioPatrol

I guess my sentiment is, should I bother with it? What's the optimal selection for a residence for decent ROI? Tiny roof-mounted turbines cost up to 2000, but will likely only save 30 bucks a year.

Anyone know anything?

I believe the general con sense is, MD does not get enough wind to make it cost effective, now if you were "on the water" the facts might be different

of course if you are really enterprising, you can home build one for a few hundred dollars .....

Homegrown Power: 7th Oct 07. Dual stator windmill.

W

Windman

Wind Turbine and what it can really do.

There was a blip in the Southern Maryland Extra about how the county commissioners unanimously approved residential wind mills for creating electricity. They even provided a link to the Wind Swept program, which is a state sponsored program providing grants for building residential wind turbines.

I've sifted through some of the information, and I've browsed the net - but I'm curious if anyone knows of a case in St Mary's where someone has actually DONE this.

It interests me, because I have enough property to build one on, but I'm skeptical on the return on investment. Even WITH a grant, I don't want to build something I'll never break even with.

Now as I understand it, references to how much kW's a turbine yields is based on assumptions on average wind speed and optimal conditions and efficiency. So while a turbine may claim to yield 2 kW, you might live in a zone where the wind is so weak, it's never going to do you any good.

They make them as small as roof mounted turbines about the size of a large dish antenna (which with turbulence, no one really recommends) and as big as 12 feet across mounted on 40 foot poles.

Anyone know anything?

Yes, there is Pay back on Wind Turbines. I am the one who started this ordinance so I can install my system. Contact me for the info...

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone know anything?

Picture 1 (note wind tubine on condo unit at far left)
Pictures 2 & 3 (these regional models have been used for years !)

Last edited:

backagain39

If I could afford a windmill then I would definitely invest in one. SMECO IMO is taking us all to the cleaners. My electric bill is higher than my car payment, and yes I have energy saver everything. My kids are grown and are in and out so basically it's just me and the dogs here. SMECO claims my consumption has dropped in half over the past year and a half....so explain to me why my bill has tripled.......

Could it be the new fleet of trucks that SMECO just bought???? I think I own one.......

W

Windman

Wind Technology

What would you like to know? I will have my wind turbine up this year...

SamSpade

What would you like to know? I will have my wind turbine up this year...

I'll have more to ask after you've done it for a while. I still have many concerns. Return on investment, primarily. Grants, which seem to always be exhausted. Which models to use, how many and what size. Is there enough wind? Just how high up does that tower have to go?

I've seen models which mount on your roof - and other models which resemble spinning cylinders rather than ceiling fans.

I have no interest in going "green" for altruistic reasons. It has to save money in the long run.

I'm still in "wait and see" mode.

W

Windman

Wind Technology

My system is a Jacobs 20 kW system. Tower sizes are 80, 100, and 120 foot free standing towers. This is the Hub height. Blades are 15 feet long. My wind survey says I am in Zone 2 (9.8-11.5 mph) average wind. System will produce 19,700 kw Hours a year in 10 mph average wind. At 12 mph average, I will get around 33,000 kw hours a year. I looked at identical system in California and my friend measured a 10 mph average wind for the year and it produced 19,400 kw Hours for the year, so the data is favorable with vendor. Here is vendor for Jacobs. Wind maps are there and system performance.

WTIC Home

W

Windman

Wind Technology

Yea, I am not Green Peace, just want to save the hole SMECO is burning in my pocket. I am looking at a 4-6 year return on investment. The first thing you need to do is figure what your total KW Hours consumed per year is so to best match a system to your needs and pocketbook. I wanted to get the best bang for the buck and went to a 20 kw turbine.

Velocity26

My system is a Jacobs 20 kW system. Tower sizes are 80, 100, and 120 foot free standing towers. This is the Hub height. Blades are 15 feet long. My wind survey says I am in Zone 2 (9.8-11.5 mph) average wind. System will produce 19,700 kw Hours a year in 10 mph average wind. At 12 mph average, I will get around 33,000 kw hours a year. I looked at identical system in California and my friend measured a 10 mph average wind for the year and it produced 19,400 kw Hours for the year, so the data is favorable with vendor. Here is vendor for Jacobs. Wind maps are there and system performance.

WTIC Home
Eff that!!! $47K for an 80' tower EXCLUDING installation. No ROI. :boo: