Electric Bill!

Xaquin44

ouch =/

ok, I have baseboard heat. OLD baseboard heat. It stinks. It's expensive and doesn't do much to heat my 1940s home =(

I have no furnace. I have no duct work. SMO will not deliver oil to my home (too far from a road) and even if they would, I still have no furnace or ducts etc.

So my only option, pretty much, is baseboard.

Does anyone know of any energy efficient baseboard? Like that could be hooked up to a thermostat?

Some kind of magic crystal that could heat my home AS IF BY MAGIC!?

Christy

b*tch rocket
Get a pellet stove. You can set them up to thermostats and have it kick on/off automatically.

vbailey

vbailey
Get a wood stove, use your baseboard for back up...we love our woodstove..we don't have to pay for wood, people give it to us or we get it from our property...we would have to pay for pellets if we had a pellet stove, and I hear they are hard to find sometimes...

Xaquin44

I've thought about them, but our main rooms don't really have an area on an outside wall to put them on.

It'd cost a fair bit to put it on an inside wall and run the pipe through the roof wouldn't it?

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
ouch =/

ok, I have baseboard heat. OLD baseboard heat. It stinks. It's expensive and doesn't do much to heat my 1940s home =(

I have no furnace. I have no duct work. SMO will not deliver oil to my home (too far from a road) and even if they would, I still have no furnace or ducts etc.

Does anyone know of any energy efficient baseboard? Like that could be hooked up to a thermostat?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) 320x240; VZW; Motorola-Q9c; Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard)

Turn the residence into a bank holding company and then ask the Republicans for a bailout using TARP funds.

Anything inefficient and down on it's luck is a guaranteed approval. Hurry though, time is limited; George and Paulie will be leaving soon.

Problem solved.

:popcorn:

Robin

ouch =/

Our house has the electric baseboard heat too We also feel your pain, High electric 3 months out of the year. Stinks. We have been investigating alternatives. this year it will happen some way some how.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
I've thought about them, but our main rooms don't really have an area on an outside wall to put them on.

It'd cost a fair bit to put it on an inside wall and run the pipe through the roof wouldn't it?

Upgrading or installing a major system is going to be expensive. Running a single pipe, vs a network, is going to be cheap by comparison.

Xaquin44

Our house has the electric baseboard heat too We also feel your pain, High electric 3 months out of the year. Stinks. We have been investigating alternatives. this year it will happen some way some how.

Let me know =)

I've seen a couple things on the internet that claim to be awesome.

I'm highly dubious though.

EdenPURE Store Quartz Infrared Portable Heater - Home

Best Energy Efficient Space Heater, Electric Wall And Baseboard Heaters

These both seem too good to be true.

Xaquin44

Upgrading or installing a major system is going to be expensive. Running a single pipe, vs a network, is going to be cheap by comparison.

I was thinking along the lines of replacing my 60s (or whenever) era baseboard with newer more efficient baseboard and possibly hooking that up to a thermostat somehow.

Christy

b*tch rocket

You don't have to run a pipe all the way up through the roof for a pellet stove. Just a small vent hole through an outside wall.

Xaquin44

A friend of mine just purchased an EdenPURE, it does work really well. She heats her entiire house with it. I doubt if it would heat a huge house, but a smaller house it does a decent job.

hmmmm

I'd say we're looking to heat about 400-450 s/f.

Our living room, dining room, and kitchen are all open to each other.

Does she only have one unit?

How new/old is her house?

How much is her bill?

I'm not looking to replace the baseboard in the individual bedrooms as the seem to be working just fine (though I wouldn't be opposed really).

Xaquin44

You don't have to run a pipe all the way up through the roof for a pellet stove. Just a small vent hole through an outside wall.

My problem is that I don't have space on an outside wall =(

Between windows, doors, and floor to ceiling bookshelves I don't really have any space on the outside walls of the rooms I want to heat.

I was thinking along the lines of replacing my 60s (or whenever) era baseboard with newer more efficient baseboard and possibly hooking that up to a thermostat somehow.

Go to any home store. I looked into it for a friend who wanted to heat his basement. You can get baseboard heaters with independent thermostats that tie in to the electric panel on a single 15 amp circuit. The thermostat can be placed anywhere you need as it's connected by low voltage wires. Some allowed you to gang them together.

Don't remember exactly where I saw them or I'd post up a link....

Here: Lowes has a bunch of them....
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...4967294&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=electric+baseboard

Last edited:

Christy

b*tch rocket
hmmmm

I'd say we're looking to heat about 400-450 s/f.

Our living room, dining room, and kitchen are all open to each other.

Does she only have one unit?

How new/old is her house?

How much is her bill?

I'm not looking to replace the baseboard in the individual bedrooms as the seem to be working just fine (though I wouldn't be opposed really).

She only has one unit and it would definitely heat that amount of space. Her house is ancient, she has oil heat but for some reason she decided not to do the whole oil thing this year. I have no idea what her bill is. She just started using it so she probably doesn't know either. :ohwell:

Xaquin44

She only has one unit and it would definitely heat that amount of space. Her house is ancient, she has oil heat but for some reason she decided not to do the whole oil thing this year. I have no idea what her bill is. She just started using it so she probably doesn't know either. :ohwell:

hmmmm

does she use it to supplement oil heat, or instead of oil heat?

sorry for bombarding you with questions, but it really seems like a nice system, but then again, no one ever makes their product sound bad hehe

SamSpade

To my knowledge, baseboard heat is about the worst way to heat your house. But I'm surprised that anyone uses an EdenPure, as I've heard the claims about them are scientifically spurious.

On the other hand, a decent spaceheater is still better than baseboard. For about two years, I heated my house in Lusby with little spaceheaters, and I closed the doors to my bedroom at night and kept it nice and toasty. During the summer, I used a couple of window units for air conditioning. I did ok.

But are pellets even available this time of year? A guy I ran into who has a chimney company here said you can't get'm anywhere.

Christy

b*tch rocket
hmmmm

does she use it to supplement oil heat, or instead of oil heat?

sorry for bombarding you with questions, but it really seems like a nice system, but then again, no one ever makes their product sound bad hehe

She uses it instead of her oil heat. It's a really nice little heater. She keeps it under one of her side tables and it blends in nicely with the room. I didn't even know it was there until she pointed it out to me.