I'm outraged - our government has dropped the ball

Circuit City Will Be Liquidated, Sources Say

Circuit city had been facing bankruptcy, and now it looks like that will mean complete liquidation. How can our government let this happen? Do they have any idea what this means?

People who want to buy electronics at an actual brick and mortar store will have very limited options. Best Buy, who has done a better job than Circuit City in recent years, will undoubtedly increase their market share.

It just isn't right. If we continue to pursue these dangerous policies of inaction, one morning we will wake up and find ourselves, once again, under the oppressive thumb of capitalism.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Best Buy, who has done a better job than Circuit City in recent years, will undoubtedly increase their market share.

Which will lead to them having a monopoly and then the DOJ will file an antitrust suit to break them up.

So don't worry. Uncle Sam will take care of us all in the end. :yay:

Which will lead to them having a monopoly and then the DOJ will file an antitrust suit to break them up.

So don't worry. Uncle Sam will take care of us all in the end. :yay:

But, this is a very slippery slope we are embarking upon. If we continue to let businesses fail, they might soon stop expecting that their failure will be prevented by the government. They may seek out success, they may work harder or better, they may make wiser decisions in regard to capital expenditures. It will take a while, but we may begin to see successes, where there would have been failures. The consequences could be devastating.

Fine, stick your head in the sand and let the market pick winners and losers. See if I care. I'll be on the beach in Cabo soaking up the sun (or freezing to death, depending on which climate change is in vogue) when capitalism makes its comeback. You can deal with the fallout from it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They may seek out success, they may work harder or better, they may make wiser decisions in regard to capital expenditures.

Now, that wouldn't be fair to other businesses, would it? Why should some thrive while others fail?

It's all part of the No Corporation Left Behind Act of 2008. :yay:

R

RadioPatrol

It just isn't right. If we continue to pursue these dangerous policies of inaction, one morning we will wake up and find ourselves, once again, under the oppressive thumb of capitalism.

Isn't Office Depot also going away ....... :popcorn:

Isn't Office Depot also going away ....... :popcorn:

I don't think so. I know that they're supposed to be closing about 10% of their stores, but the company as a whole isn't going away/entering bankruptcy.

Unless, of course, I missed some news. It would be surprising, they aren't in that bad of shape.

Beta84

They're out to get us
They filed Chapter 11 Bankrupcy months ago. Unfortunately, they were unable to reorganize and now it's going into the liquidation phase.

FYI: From what I've heard, liquidation will begin in stores starting on SATURDAY.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Looks like you Republicans had a good day. You clocked another 50,000 or so lost jobs, most of it compliments of Circuit City.

Layoff Daily

:popcorn:

But wait! According to this - there are early signs of the credit market thawing. I'll be checking the nightly lamestream news to make sure they give the Bush Administration credit for it. :coffee:

NEW YORK - Credit markets are beginning to thaw after months of a deep freeze.
In a promising turn that could bolster the economy, companies are selling bonds at a pace not seen since last spring. At the same time, companies are finding it easier to issue commercial paper, the short-term loans necessary for quick access to cash.

From Andy's favorite source, too.
Signs of credit market thaw begin to emerge - Economy in Turmoil- msnbc.com

Xaquin44

Cicruit City deserved to go under. When your prices are double/triple every other store in the world, people will vote with their wallets.

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
110% Price Matches are your Friend

Cicruit City deserved to go under. When your prices are double/triple every other store in the world, people will vote with their wallets.

If you didn't play Circuit City against Best Buy in all your major purchases, you played the game totally wrong my friend.

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim

Xaquin44

If you didn't play Circuit City against Best Buy in all your major purchases, you played the game totally wrong my friend.

meh

both are way too expensive.

Target/Walmart, or even better, amazon, will be way WAY less.

best buys days are numbered too.

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
Just who runs that website that started a month ago???

:killingme

I have no clue, but all the layoff articles are linked to legitimate websites from what I've seen of it.

If you've got a beef with it speak up so we know what you're talking about?