New Hampshire Red Rooster Available for Breeding

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I run a small animal rescue, and I have a very good looking New Hampshire Red Rooster available for breeding (picture attached). My knowledge of chickens is limited, so I am relying on others, and pictures on the internet to identify the breed of this rooster. I know it's unusual for a rescue to facilitate/support breeding, but in the case of chickens I make an exception. I have been told not only is he gorgeous, he is very large also. His name is Tyrone and he has been called "turkey sized" by some of my chicken friends.

Tyrone came to me as a rescue after attacking his caretaker. So he's not the nicest rooster, but he does have very good genes which would enhance the breeding for someone locally surely.

I know that not everyone kills the rowdy roosters, especially one as good looking at this one, so I hope I am able to find Tyrone a breeding job somewhere so he can make good use of his good looks.:wink:

Attachments

• tyrone_smaller.jpg
    tyrone_smaller.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 359
T

toppick08

I run a small animal rescue, and I have a very good looking New Hampshire Red Rooster available for breeding (picture attached). My knowledge of chickens is limited, so I am relying on others, and pictures on the internet to identify the breed of this rooster. I know it's unusual for a rescue to facilitate/support breeding, but in the case of chickens I make an exception. I have been told not only is he gorgeous, he is very large also. His name is Tyrone and he has been called "turkey sized" by some of my chicken friends.

Tyrone came to me as a rescue after attacking his caretaker. So he's not the nicest rooster, but he does have very good genes which would enhance the breeding for someone locally surely.

I know that not everyone kills the rowdy roosters, especially one as good looking at this one, so I hope I am able to find Tyrone a breeding job somewhere so he can make good use of his good looks.:wink:

In the black skillet, would be his home........

Cowgirl

I'm not sure why anyone would want to keep a mean rooster. Surely there are friendly roosters who are just as pretty who will pass down friendly genes to his offspring.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
That's just it, I have talked to so many people who tell me that in some breeds it's hard to find NICE roosters. Apparently this breed is one of them, so someone is using them even if they are not nice.

I took him in as a rescue before I realized I couldn't change his behavior (was new to chickens) but now that I have him I feel obligated to take care of him and find him a good home among his kind. I do also have some nice roosters.

Mymale neighbor who cared for him for a few months for me said he never tried to attack him, so maybe it's just women he attacks? His prior caretaker was a woman.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
well, breeding yes, but not typical breeding.

My focus on chickens for the most part will be to help create genetic diversity in the rare Polish Tolbunt Chickens in this Country, like the one in this picture.

So it's not your typical breeding.

I thought rescues discouraged breeding, lols.

Attachments

• TolbuntPolRoo.jpg
    TolbuntPolRoo.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 256

jedi2814

That's just it, I have talked to so many people who tell me that in some breeds it's hard to find NICE roosters. Apparently this breed is one of them, so someone is using them even if they are not nice.

I took him in as a rescue before I realized I couldn't change his behavior (was new to chickens) but now that I have him I feel obligated to take care of him and find him a good home among his kind. I do also have some nice roosters.

Mymale neighbor who cared for him for a few months for me said he never tried to attack him, so maybe it's just women he attacks? His prior caretaker was a woman.

Unfortunately if you put him in with hens he will become very territorial and attack anyone who comes near. It'll be "his" flock and everything that moves will be seen as a "threat". Roosters also have a tendency to thin the flock to their "favorites" especially when the flock is already established. Been there, done that - no more roosters except to butcher at 8-10 wks. of age. I buy day old chicks and raise them from there for layers and broilers.