Taxes?

BlueBird

I'm in LP and I was wondering what the overwhelming consensus is for tax preparation services....

Jackson Hewitt verses H&R block.

If there is a specific preparer at either please feel free to make a recommendation.

BlueBird

Not an option for me. My taxes are extremely complex. I have multiple properties, A small business, numerous investments and a normal full time job.

My accountant has moved and was pricey anyways so I am thinking that I'll give one of the two options listed above a try.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Not an option for me. My taxes are extremely complex. I have multiple properties, A small business, numerous investments and a normal full time job.

My accountant has moved and was pricey anyways so I am thinking that I'll give one of the two options listed above a try.

:eyebrow: If you think an accountant is pricey, you're in for a rude awakening when those high school dropouts at H&R screw up your taxes.

If you aren't willing to do it yourself, and you aren't willing to hire a real professional, just do the Geithner and "forget" to do your taxes and hope the statute of limitations runs out before you get caught.

BlueBird

:eyebrow: If you think an accountant is pricey, you're in for a rude awakening when those high school dropouts at H&R screw up your taxes.

If you aren't willing to do it yourself, and you aren't willing to hire a real professional, just do the Geithner and "forget" to do your taxes and hope the statute of limitations runs out before you get caught.

Since H&R block only hires high school dropouts I guess that leaves Jackson Hewitt then..... I stopped by the other day but they were packed. I'm thinking that if anyone working there dropped out of high school it must have been 35-40 years ago since they all look like senior citizens.....

I thought employees of Block and Hewitt had to get certified by the IRS???

Since H&R block only hires high school dropouts I guess that leaves Jackson Hewitt then..... I stopped by the other day but they were packed. I'm thinking that if anyone working there dropped out of high school it must have been 35-40 years ago since they all look like senior citizens.....

I thought employees of Block and Hewitt had to get certified by the IRS???

I don't put much faith in their cert process. I had H&R do my taxes one year. The guy that did it for me had no clue what he was doing.

BlueBird

I don't put much faith in their cert process. I had H&R do my taxes one year. The guy that did it for me had no clue what he was doing.

Probably depends on the preparer, but I could see this happening at either place.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Turbo Tax, the damn software is smarter than many of the dimwits doing it on a temporary basis and the software ask you the same darn questions!!!

3yrs plus using it with no issues. Just try it!!! :coffee:

glhs837

Power with Control
If you wont go to an accountant, and your really too complex for TT, then your done. Reallly, any of the name brands are just running Turbo Tax or some propietray equivelant, and having the droput read the questions to you. Unless you think they can read the questions any better than you, either do it yourself or get an accountant.

I used both HR block and Hewitt, and for the last five years have used TT. really, its the same exact questions, kinda have to be. If the sodftware didnt find stuff, the scrub at that desk isnt going to either.

awpitt

Main Streeter

If you get the correct version of Turbo Tax, it will do just fine for you. They have a version aimed specifically at home and small business.

hotcoffee

I wouldn't go to Liberty Tax.... they aren't even paying $12.00 per hour for those "tax people" they have.

I did my sister-in-law's taxes with FreeTax USA software. I downloaded it through the irs.gov website.

It's free to e-file the Federal Taxes if your adjusted income is less than $56,000 and the Maryland Tax download is only $9.95 with freetaxusa software.

I've done complicated returns for businesses [landlords and small businesses] and this software could handle it. It asks all the right questions. I'm going to have to declare the stock losses... I saw the question there...

I'm waiting for one more W-2 and then I'll have mine done in no time.... and since it's free... what have you got to loose but some time... you can always gather it up and take it to the the underpaid people who will just read the same questions to you.... :coffee:

Oh... the toll free number for IRS is 800-829-1040! If you are doing your taxes by yourself you can always call them with any questions... it's easy, just takes a while to get through and the music sucks...

Last edited:

willie

That wouldn't even require the Home and Business version. Turbo Tax Premier from Amazon at $71.99 will easily handle your situation. It even knows you don't depreciate real estate property like a certain local tax lawyer will do.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life

I suggest using Murray, Wamsley & Schrader if you don't want to go with a cookie cutter firm. Lexington Park, MD CPA / Full service tax and business consulting / Murray, Wamsley & Schrader, LLC