Stomache Bug?

daisy

Alright, this one's going around quite a bit from what I've heard, and my 12 week old seems to have it...anyone know how long its supposed to last?!?!

SoMDGirl42

Alright, this one's going around quite a bit from what I've heard, and my 12 week old seems to have it...anyone know how long its supposed to last?!?!

babies that young dehydrate too quickly. It can cause irreversible kidney damage, death etc.

At 12 weeks, that baby needs to be checked to make sure he/she does not have a blockage as well. A fever can cause seizures and or brain damage.

This not something to put off. Go directly to the nearest ER immediately.

daisy

RIght, I should've included that I've covered all of those bases. We know he does not have Pyloric Stenosis (blockage) he was checked for this at a younger age because he has reflux and we wanted to rule that out. he has no fever, and Dr. has us giving him pedialyte to prevent dehydration. But I'm just wondering how long I can expect the actual bug to last.

Thanks though, I do appreciate the concern and good advice!

K

ketelone

RIght, I should've included that I've covered all of those bases. We know he does not have Pyloric Stenosis (blockage) he was checked for this at a younger age because he has reflux and we wanted to rule that out. he has no fever, and Dr. has us giving him pedialyte to prevent dehydration. But I'm just wondering how long I can expect the actual bug to last.

When we had it, it only lasted a couple of days. Within 2 days the next victim gets it. We had it cycle through our house twice.

SoMDGirl42

Pyloric Stenosis has nothing to do with an intestional blockage, or should I say, you can have an intestional blockage without pyloric stenosis.

I'm very concerned for your child. How long has he/she been vomiting? I can't believe the doctor wouldn't admit this child for IV fluids.

A

amotley

the few adults i work with had it a few days throwing up and a few days feeling crappy.

Nanny Pam

I had a 2 year old here with it. It was awful!! I sent him home, but when he came back the next day, it was all gone, thank God!
Talk about projectile pooping. :faint:

daisy

Why don't you ask your doctor?

You know doctors: "you just have to let it run its course..." and bugs like this seem to go around in either the 48 hour variety or a week long one, was just wondering which one is going around now.

SoMDGirl42

You know doctors: "you just have to let it run its course..." and bugs like this seem to go around in either the 48 hour variety or a week long one, was just wondering which one is going around now.

My daughter had it for about 30 hours total. I still find it hard to believe a pediatrican would tell you to let a virus like this run it's course with a 12 week old. I hope we have different doctors, and I hope the baby gets better soon.

PS
If it was my kid, I'd ignore the doctor and still go straight to the ER. :huggy:

daisy

Pyloric Stenosis has nothing to do with an intestional blockage, or should I say, you can have an intestional blockage without pyloric stenosis.

I'm very concerned for your child. How long has he/she been vomiting? I can't believe the doctor wouldn't admit this child for IV fluids.

Just since this morning. Really, he is okay, its def. just a stomache bug. He is keeping some food down, just not the majority of it, and has also had diahrria (sp?). He's also wetting diapers every hour or so, so hydration is really not an issue. I know that if that were to change he would be admitted on IV fluids, but for now pedialyte is doing the trick.

I do know that you can have a blockage that is not stenosis, but his vomitting is not projectile or extremely forceful, just a stinky regurgitation of his bottle.

misshelper

I've never had a doctor tell me that in reference to a baby. :shrug:

vbailey

vbailey
my grandson had a fever of 102 for 4 days...the doctors said " we don't know why ? " and sent him home......I was so upset they did not do more for him......He was drinking his bottles ( formula ) and wetting his daipers..but he would not eat any of his baby food....
He was fussy, and you could tell he did not feel well, but only had a fever nothing else, he was 7 months old. I was sooooo happy when the fever went away, and it has not come back, that was a month ago... we still don't know why it happened..

daisy

My daughter had it for about 30 hours total. I still find it hard to believe a pediatrican would tell you to let a virus like this run it's course with a 12 week old. I hope we have different doctors, and I hope the baby gets better soon.

PS
If it was my kid, I'd ignore the doctor and still go straight to the ER. :huggy:

I def. appreciate your concern (how old is your daughter BTW? Mine is 2, and has managed to dodge this virus so far...). We see our doctor quite alot unfortunately because my son has had several issues since birth, and so I am really confident in them. They are very thorough, and he has been hospitalized twice since birth for other reasons (one of which was for fluids when he had RSV, and was just precautionary as he didn't actually become dehydrated). I am sure that the lack of concern is because he has no fever and is wetting diapers regularly. If either of those things were different I'm sure he'd be seen. I'm okay with not taking him to the dr's and exposing him to everything else in the world that's going around, unless I absolutely have to. But I truly do appreciate your concern!!!

SoMDGirl42

I def. appreciate your concern (how old is your daughter BTW? Mine is 2, and has managed to dodge this virus so far...). We see our doctor quite alot unfortunately because my son has had several issues since birth, and so I am really confident in them. They are very thorough, and he has been hospitalized twice since birth for other reasons (one of which was for fluids when he had RSV, and was just precautionary as he didn't actually become dehydrated). I am sure that the lack of concern is because he has no fever and is wetting diapers regularly. If either of those things were different I'm sure he'd be seen. I'm okay with not taking him to the dr's and exposing him to everything else in the world that's going around, unless I absolutely have to. But I truly do appreciate your concern!!!

The youngest just turned 3 in December.

I am very concerned for your child, however, you seem to be handling it the way you feel comfortable. I guess if it were my call, especially if he's had several issues already since birth, I'd do it my way. Keep us updated.

misshelper

my grandson had a fever of 102 for 4 days...the doctors said " we don't know why ? " and sent him home......I was so upset they did not do more for him......He was drinking his bottles ( formula ) and wetting his daipers..but he would not eat any of his baby food....
He was fussy, and you could tell he did not feel well, but only had a fever nothing else, he was 7 months old. I was sooooo happy when the fever went away, and it has not come back, that was a month ago... we still don't know why it happened..

My daughter gets high fevers, 104 and up. Has happened a few times and the only answer I have gotten was Fever of unknown cause/orgin..:shrug: It sucks.

Fever of unknown origin