'Ghettopoly' game causes outrage in black community

K

Kain99

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Cheap Trick Avenue instead of Boardwalk? Hernando's Chop Shop instead of Reading Railroad?

Black leaders are outraged over a new board game called "Ghettopoly" that has "playas" acting like pimps and game cards reading, "You got yo whole neighborhood addicted to crack. Collect $50."

Black clergymen say the game, the brainchild of a Pennsylvania man, should be banned, and have called for a boycott of Urban Outfitters unless the company stops selling Ghettopoly in its chain of clothing stores.

Urban Outfitters has not publicly commented on the issue, and did not return a call seeking comment on Wednesday.

"If we are silent on this issue there is more of this type to come," the Rev. Robert P. Shine Sr., president of the Black Clergy of Philadelphia & Vicinity, said at a sidewalk rally Wednesday in front Urban Outfitters' corporate headquarters in Philadelphia.

Shine displayed the game board, with properties including Westside Liquor, Harlem, The Bronx, and Long Beach City, and squares labeled Smitty's XXX Peep Show, Weinstein's Gold and Platinum, and Tyron's Gun Shop.

Players draw "Hustle" and "Ghetto Stash" cards with directions like, "You're a little short on loot, so you decided to stick up a bank. Collect $75," and "Steal $$$ if you pass Let$ Roll."

The creator of Ghettopoly, David Chang, did not immediately answer e-mails or phone calls seeking comment about the game.

On his Web site, Chang is unapologetic, and promises that more games -- Hoodopoly, Hiphopopoly, Thugopoly and Redneckopoly -- are coming soon.

"It draws on stereotypes not as a means to degrade, but as a medium to bring together in laughter," Chang maintains, adding, "If we can't laugh at ourselves ... we'll continue to live in blame and bitterness."

But the Ghettopoly board depicts figures labeled "Malcum X" and "Martin Luthor King Jr." -- intentionally misspelled -- noted Rev. Glenn Wilson, pastor of Enon Tabernacle Baptist Church.

"This is beyond making fun, to use the caricature of Dr. King in this regard," Wilson said. "There's no way that game could be taken in any way other than that this man had racist intent in marketing it."

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/10/09/ghettopoly.ap/index.html

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
He should have started with redneckopoly. Rednecks have a much better sense of humor and they would buy it. Then the boycotters would have a hard time claiming racism.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Are black leaders also "outraged" by ghetto music videos and black rappers that lead women around in dog collars and chains?
"There's no way that game could be taken in any way other than that this man had racist intent in marketing it."
If this guy is so offended by racial stereotypes, why doesn't he go after the black "entertainers" who perpetuate the stereotype?

tater

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Are black leaders also "outraged" by ghetto music videos and black rappers that lead women around in dog collars and chains?
If this guy is so offended by racial stereotypes, why doesn't he go after the black "entertainers" who perpetuate the stereotype?

:yeahthat: (I just didn't want to incite (sp?) a riot in SOMD)

I was also wondering if the same stink would have been started if the inventor of the game was black (oops, African American)

It's so hard to keep up with the ever evolving political correctness as far as what's acceptable and not anymore

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by tater
It's so hard to keep up with the ever evolving political correctness as far as what's acceptable and not anymore

Reminds me of a Bloom County cartoon that was floating around in the early mid 90's. Steve Dallas (the alien zapped PC Steve Dallas - not the right wing animal) was visiting his mother who was looking out the window remarking - "What a cute little colored girl playing across the street". At which point the PC Steve, freaked out.

"Ma! You can't say 'Colored People'!"

To which she responded, "Can I say National Association for the Advancement of Colored People? I don't think any negros mind at all."

"Ma! You can't say 'negro' either'"

"Well, what about the United Negro College Fund?"

"Mom, let's just agree to use the politically correct, Jesse Jackson approved term: People of Color"

"People of color?"

"Yes."

"Colored People!"

"NO!!!!"

That translates much better with pictures, and things.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by cmcdanal
Coincidence??
Of course not. The word "color" was invented because the white man knew that some day he would enslave black people and call them "colored". He also realized that there would some day be people who speak with a Southern accent, who would pronounce the word "collar" or "collared". So it was planned from the start.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cmcdanal
He should have started with redneckopoly. Rednecks have a much better sense of humor and they would buy it. Then the boycotters would have a hard time claiming racism.

Actually, the company that makes this DOES already have a redneckopoly:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mitchell/cst-nws-mitch05.html

A very interesting quote from the article:

Still, this game may turn out to be a good way to show black children how the denigrating, violent and downright nasty hip-hop lyrics they soak up like sponges have tainted the perception of what black Americans are about.

Chang [the company owner] did his homework.

The symbols found in "Ghettopoly" are an accurate reflection of what hip-hop heroes are selling to White America. Ironically, people are outraged about Urban Outfitters' selling a foul board game, but few people of influence seem to care that every record store in America is selling music that glorifies the very stereotypes the game promotes.

How can black people be outraged over a board game when black superstars have gotten rich by promoting those same stereotypes? These performers aren't boycotted. They are worshipped.

:yeahthat: Why the heck aren't people outraged by the hip-hop videos and then have their panties in a bunch about this game? :confused: [edit] Oops, didn't see Vrai's post, but she said exactly what the article's author said. :high5: [/edit]

Last edited:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Of course not. The word "color" was invented because the white man knew that some day he would enslave black people and call them "colored". He also realized that there would some day be people who speak with a Southern accent, who would pronounce the word "collar" or "collared". So it was planned from the start.

See, I knew it was all a conspiracy.

stuckinsomd

what is ghetto music?...there is no such and blk ppl are so mad because for many of us this game is sending a message to our children that it is cool to be less than. Some african americans take pride in being from a ruffer"hood" such as south hampton,shangri la, or even flat tops. i think that is sad...

stuckinsomd

:getdown: and ya think ya know
stuckinsomd said:
what is ghetto music?...there is no such and blk ppl are so mad because for many of us this game is sending a message to our children that it is cool to be less than. Some african americans take pride in being from a ruffer"hood" such as south hampton,shangri la, or even flat tops. i think that is sad...

nomoney

stuckinsomd said:

:confused: Are you from Canada? Or do you live on elegant court?

stuckinsomd

no im african american and remember when the game first came out and remember think wtf that is so demeaning why would someone come up with such a terrible game. My kids will never play the game and i live in a wonderful safe neighborhood that happens to be majority blk. there are no homless in my neihborhood for tricks or dugs on the street. when he made the came that was the message he was sending. ghetto is a type of neighborhood not a way of life or style of music.