The Princess Bride 30th Ann. Ed.

Satine

How many of you have seen the movie? A lot of you I would imagine.

Did you know there was a book?

As an non-avid reader I picked this one up because I had a friend who loved the book, so I got it to see if it compared to the movie. I know what you're thinking, the book is always better. Well the only real books, besides fairy tales, that I personally have read and saw the movies was Harry Potter, like the rest of the planet. And some for school like Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet so i didn't have to read the whole book. You know what I'm sayin'!

It's amazing how much more information there is about the characters. Did you know that Fezzik was a wrestler who has bested 6 men at one time, who also can't handle the sight of blood and the one thing that scares him more then anything is to be alone? Or that Inigo, well we know that he studied for 20 years, but now we know the whole story of his fathers murder. Buttercup and Westley have a much longer realtionship. I didn't even know that that Six fingered man had a wife? Who apparently was the fashion trend setter for the world. Or that PRince Humperdinck instead of the Pit of Dispare had a whole Zoo of Death where he has five different levels of aminals to play with that he can hunt. That guys is messed up let me tell you.

The 30th ann ed has two introductions. One from the 30th ann and from the 25th ann. They both tell you about how William Goldman, (who abbridged S. Morgenstern's original version to only include the "good parts") and his family grew up with this book. He tells us about taking his grandson to the Princess Bride Museum in Florin City, and seeing the Six-fingered Sword that Inigo's father Dimongo Montoya crafted. It also tells about how Goldman was sick when his father, with a speaking problem, read it to him while he was in bed with pneumonia.

Interesting fact that Stephen King is actually related to people in Florin still. He has a part in the story as well.

More interesting, while visiting the museum, Goldman finds the first chapter to the second book that never saw the light of day. Until now, where Goldman, after much trouble with the Morgenstern estate, is allowed to translate the first chapter and it's at the end of the book.

I highly reccomend this for reading to your children or to your self. It's even more wonderful now then when I was 4 when the movie came out.

Based on actual events of the past, this is trualy a tale of True Love and High Adventure.

Or is it?

SamSpade

Read it a few years back. Funny the things you remember. Like the Harry Potter books and the Lord of the Rings, I kept noticing how often the dialogue exactly matched the screen version.

I didn't like how Goldman ended it. Well sort of. I was never sure how serious he was about it.

Satine

Which part the Princess Bride or Buttercup's Baby?

Yeah, it does jsut sorta end but it picks uup right again in Buttercup's Baby have you read that one yet?