SmartBenefits Vouchers Have Replaced Metrocheks

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Paper Metrocheks are no longer available for employers that participate in the Transit Benefit Program. SmartBenefits Vouchers have replaced the Metrocheks and are now accepted by the Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) and on our buses operated by Keller, Dillon, and Eyre Bus companies. SmartBenefits Vouchers are available in $1.00, $10.00, and $30.00 denominations and are accepted with the same provisions as the previous Metrochek Program.

Metrocheks that have previously been distributed to employees will continue to be accepted until the close of business on March 6, 2009. After that time only the new vouchers may be used, however, employees can exchange Metrocheks at Metro sales offices through March 31, 2009.

Visit www.wmata.com/bus2bus/smartbenefits/mc_end.html to view the new SmartBenefits Vouchers.

Thank you for riding MTA Commuter Bus.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Smart Benefits are what you get from your employer and they're used for the commuter buses, van pools, etc.

SmarTrip is what you purchase and can add to and that is used for the metro system.

Last edited:
Smart Benefits are what you get from your employer and they're used for the commuter buses, van pools, etc.

SmarTrip is what you purchase and can add to and that is used for the metro system.
Everything I read on the site talked about them loading up SmarTrip cards for employees at metro stations. What about those employees that mail their metrochecks in and get a paper bus ticket/metro ticket in exchange?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Everything I read on the site talked about them loading up SmarTrip cards for employees at metro stations. What about those employees that mail their metrochecks in and get a paper bus ticket/metro ticket in exchange?

Smart Benefit cards are only available through the employer. For Govt. workers, they are given a certain amount ($130 or so) in Smart Benefit Cards..you can also sign up through your employer to have it deducted from your paycheck (pre tax type of thing). You can take the Smart Benefit cards to a metro kiosk (after signing up) and the metro "reader" will transfer the money to the SmarTrip card. You cannot use the Smart Benefit cards directly with metro (rail or bus). You can use the Smart Benefit cards directly to purchase passes on the commuter buses/Marc Trains.

Metro checks don't exist now.