Cell Phone Pinging & Uncle Sam

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
Pinging a cell phone is finding out what cell tower their phone is in. This can be used to locate a person that you know has the cell phone. This is used by law enforcement on a regular basis.
Usually the information is provided by the cellular provider and you have to have an account with them. In 911 systems the location is broadcast with the call.
If a bad guy is carrying a cell phone the phone is constantly sending signals to the closest cell tower, even if the phone isn't in use. The location of the cell tower will tell you that the person is within a certain range. When the person moves they can be tracked by which cell towers the signal is bouncing to.
Now cell phones come with GPS so your exact location can be traced. Even when your phone is turned off!! Also, the phones can be used as a listening device. It can be activated via a cell phone tower and law enforcement can listen to everything said within range of the cell phone. The phone doesn't even have to be turned on. It's like you are carrying around a microphone. Many ways of listening to people are being developed and put to use right under our noses. ONstar has been used to listen in on criminals by law enforcement. the microphone for ONSTAR in your car can be activated remotely so your conversation in the car can be listened to. If you want to remain anonymous with a cell phone use a prepaid phone and don't send in your information for a mail in rebate. Because the phone will then be registered to your name. If nobody knows your phone number or ESN number then they can't trace your phone by cell towers.
And definitely not by GPS. As for the ONSTAR, well, most people in the know disconnect it.
Cable boxes are also being used to listen in on people in their homes. The signal is sent over the same coax cable to the head-end where a server records you conversations if you have been targeted.
But, back to Pinging a phone, it's finding out what cell tower grid the phone is in so a person can be located. The ESN or phone number of the cell phone needs to be known. The cell phone provider can provide this information but you have to be allowed to have it. I think bail bondsmen are. You need to call a cell phone provider and ask them.

Dimwit Child

Chaos and Mayhem
govt can listen in anytime they want anyway. what are you doing that you're so worried about it? the constitution was suspended under bush anyway.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Ok I want some links with that information. GPS transmitting when the phone is off? Transmitting microphone when the phone is off? Aren't those both FAA safety violations? You know, the whole "phone cannot be in transmit mode while on an airplane" bit? I'm sure they can track you from tower to tower if your phone is on and transmitting, but that's probably about the best they can do with it. The GPS function exists in phones too, when you have it activated, but I'm pretty sure the phone has to be on.

Alot of the information in there sounds like bullcrap from conspiracy theorists. OH NO ITS 1984 COMING TO LIFE! yeah whatever. All of the cell phone companies are conspiring against us! And same with all of the in-car GPS systems. OMG RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!! If they're going to go out of their ways to do this, then I'm sure they would have a unique label on all of those pre-paid cell phones. Hope you make cash-only transactions or they've already put your phone into their database. Maybe it's time for a new one!!

Out of curiosity, WHY would they have to resort to the ON-STAR system in the car? If they're going to go through all of that trouble to bug you, when not insert a GPS tracking device into ALL cars and have microphones. If you're going to buy the auto industry with a bailout you might as well make it worth your while, right? Or maybe the reason they're bailing out the auto industry is because they've been good little puppets and HAVE been bugging us!! :jameo: And how come the cell phones with GPS don't catch crooks more often?

BOP

Pinging a cell phone is finding out what cell tower their phone is in. This can be used to locate a person that you know has the cell phone. This is used by law enforcement on a regular basis.
Usually the information is provided by the cellular provider and you have to have an account with them. In 911 systems the location is broadcast with the call.
If a bad guy is carrying a cell phone the phone is constantly sending signals to the closest cell tower, even if the phone isn't in use. The location of the cell tower will tell you that the person is within a certain range. When the person moves they can be tracked by which cell towers the signal is bouncing to.
Now cell phones come with GPS so your exact location can be traced. Even when your phone is turned off!! Also, the phones can be used as a listening device. It can be activated via a cell phone tower and law enforcement can listen to everything said within range of the cell phone. The phone doesn't even have to be turned on. It's like you are carrying around a microphone. Many ways of listening to people are being developed and put to use right under our noses. ONstar has been used to listen in on criminals by law enforcement. the microphone for ONSTAR in your car can be activated remotely so your conversation in the car can be listened to. If you want to remain anonymous with a cell phone use a prepaid phone and don't send in your information for a mail in rebate. Because the phone will then be registered to your name. If nobody knows your phone number or ESN number then they can't trace your phone by cell towers.
And definitely not by GPS. As for the ONSTAR, well, most people in the know disconnect it.
Cable boxes are also being used to listen in on people in their homes. The signal is sent over the same coax cable to the head-end where a server records you conversations if you have been targeted.
But, back to Pinging a phone, it's finding out what cell tower grid the phone is in so a person can be located. The ESN or phone number of the cell phone needs to be known. The cell phone provider can provide this information but you have to be allowed to have it. I think bail bondsmen are. You need to call a cell phone provider and ask them.

Your tinfoil hat is slipping.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
govt can listen in anytime they want anyway. what are you doing that you're so worried about it? the constitution was suspended under bush anyway.

:killingme

If you think the Constitution was trashed under Bush, then it was really trashed under Lincoln, F.D. Roosevelt, and by every legislator and judge that has argued for separation of church and state ("Congress shall pass no law" - no other person or organization is affected), or argued for or passed any gun control law ("right of the people ... shall not be infringed") and the list of government abuses goes on and on. Show me where the Air Force, NASA, or any of the myriad of other agencies with regulatory powers are authorized. Since their regulations carry the import of law, you can be fined or imprisoned, when were these regulations passed into law by a vote from our representatives? Are these agencies usurping the powers of the legislature? Hmmm.

And the worst abusers of the Constitution have been Democrats. The Republicans aren't much better, but study history and you will find that those that want to take liberties away or limit rights under the Constitution are mainly Democrats.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Ok I want some links with that information. GPS transmitting when the phone is off? Transmitting microphone when the phone is off? Aren't those both FAA safety violations? You know, the whole "phone cannot be in transmit mode while on an airplane" bit? I'm sure they can track you from tower to tower if your phone is on and transmitting, but that's probably about the best they can do with it. The GPS function exists in phones too, when you have it activated, but I'm pretty sure the phone has to be on.

Alot of the information in there sounds like bullcrap from conspiracy theorists. OH NO ITS 1984 COMING TO LIFE! yeah whatever. All of the cell phone companies are conspiring against us! And same with all of the in-car GPS systems. OMG RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!! If they're going to go out of their ways to do this, then I'm sure they would have a unique label on all of those pre-paid cell phones. Hope you make cash-only transactions or they've already put your phone into their database. Maybe it's time for a new one!!

Out of curiosity, WHY would they have to resort to the ON-STAR system in the car? If they're going to go through all of that trouble to bug you, when not insert a GPS tracking device into ALL cars and have microphones. If you're going to buy the auto industry with a bailout you might as well make it worth your while, right? Or maybe the reason they're bailing out the auto industry is because they've been good little puppets and HAVE been bugging us!! :jameo: And how come the cell phones with GPS don't catch crooks more often?

All of what raven stated is true. There have been briefings on these things. Cell phones do not have to be turned on for the microphone or hardware GPS to be used externally. The only way to disable the hardware GPS tracking or the microphone is to remove the battery.