SC sheriff may seek charges against Michael Phelps

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
South Carolina sheriff may charge Michael Phelps with possession of marijuana | Sport | guardian.co.uk

"Leon Lott, a South Carolina sheriff, says he will charge Michael Phelps with a crime if he determines the Olympics hero smoked marijuana in Richland County.

Phelps, who set a record with eight gold medals in the 2008 Summer Olympics, was photographed smoking a marijuana pipe at a November party in Columbia, South Carolina.

The picture was published in the British newspaper News of the World. Phelps apologised on Sunday, calling his behaviour "inappropriate".

"This case is no different than any other case," Lott said yesterday. "This one might be a lot easier since we have photographs of someone using drugs and a partial confession. It's a relatively easy case once we can determine where the crime occurred."

Possession of marijuana is a misdemeanour, punishable by up to 30 days in jail or a $570 (£395) fine, plus court costs.

But Lott seems to be the only person talking about making a case against Phelps. Both the University of South Carolina and Columbia police departments said they would not pursue charges.

It was unclear yesterday where the party took place, including whether it was on the university's campus."

B

Beaver-Cleaver

:roflmao::killingme:roflmao::killingme:roflmao:

Silly Sheriff, you can't charge someone with "Possession of marijuana" off just a picture. :lol:

What a maroon. :loser:

:lol:

B

Beaver-Cleaver

I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall when Sheriff Lott walks in to the District Attorney's office with his overwhelming evidence :jet: and the DA laughs in his face. :roflmao:

B

Beaver-Cleaver

Cue the music.

:inkeefolbermannvoice:

Richland County, South Carolina Sheriff Leon Lott -- today's WORST PERSON IN THE WOOORRRLLLDDDDD!!!!

:lol:

B

Beaver-Cleaver

The "best" I think he can get is possession of paraphanalia (sp?)
and that's only if they find that bong in his house or something :lol:

Wow, this has just taken a turn for the (even) stupider

Obviously you don't have to know a damn thing about the law to be a sheriff in Richland County. :lmao:

Michael Phelps could've taken that picture in Amsterdam for all we know.

I hope he goes forward with his vendetta. He'll be unseated in the next County election quicker than Mousebaby creating a new MPD and rejoining SOMD Forums. :jet:

This_person

The "best" I think he can get is possession of paraphanalia (sp?)
and that's only if they find that bong in his house or something :lol:

Wow, this has just taken a turn for the (even) stupider
$570? If Phelps really wanted to be a role model, and maybe even keep some endorsement deals, he would ask to be charged, plead guilty, pay his fine, and make announcement after announcement about the dangers and problems with drug use and how he's changed his life, sorry for the taint he put on himself and his team mates, etc., etc.

It would be the responsible thing to do, set an example, and keep him money.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

$570? If Phelps really wanted to be a role model, and maybe even keep some endorsement deals, he would ask to be charged, plead guilty, pay his fine, and make announcement after announcement about the dangers and problems with drug use and how he's changed his life, sorry for the taint he put on himself and his team mates, etc., etc.

I would lose all respect for him if he did that.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

Did you ever smoke marijuana as a kid?

Honestly, it's just a harmless little plant. Smoking marijuana is no big deal. It's just mother####in' weed. All it does is mellow you for a few hours and make you hungry.

He used it to help him maintain his 12000 calorie a day diet. :yay:

LordStanley

I know nothing

you said taint... uh huh huh huh

This_person

Did you ever smoke marijuana as a kid?

Honestly, it's just a harmless little plant. Smoking marijuana is no big deal. It's just mother####in' weed. All it does is mellow you for a few hours and make you hungry.

He used it to help him maintain his 12000 calorie a day diet. :yay:
No. It was illegal then, just like now.

Smoking, period, is bad for you. And, I always move away from the smoke when I sit by a campfire, so I saw no need to put the smoke in my face on purpose to do something illegal that was going to artificially change my mood/personality. Sounded really, really stupid to me then, not much smarter (as in not at all) today.

I'm sure you'll give me the "oh, so you do NOTHING bad for you huh?" speech. Save it. Yes, I do things that are bad for me. None of them are illegal, nor do any of them artificially change my mood, nor do any of them screw up my ability to breathe now or later in life.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

Smoking, period, is bad for you. And, I always move away from the smoke when I sit by a campfire, so I saw no need to put the smoke in my face on purpose to do something illegal that was going to artificially change my mood/personality. Sounded really, really stupid to me then, not much smarter (as in not at all) today.

I'm sure you'll give me the "oh, so you do NOTHING bad for you huh?" speech. Save it. Yes, I do things that are bad for me. None of them are illegal, nor do any of them artificially change my mood, nor do any of them screw up my ability to breathe now or later in life.

So you've never actually smoked it so you know jack and #### about what you're talking about? OK.

Take the government at their word. They know what's best for you. :yay:

:rolleyes:

It's amazing how people who are generally conservative turn in to blood-sucking nanny state liberals when it comes to a little harmless plant.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

So, by looking at the picture, you KNOW beyond a reasonable doubt that he was smoking it in Richland County, South Carolina and not someplace where it's decriminalized or legal?

It's amazing how you know everything about everything. How do I obtain your intelligence oh wise one? :notworthy

Last edited by a moderator:

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Because...I was disappointed enough with that apology he gave, but I'm sure some PR guy was hounding him to apologize now so it's easier to deal with.
If he completely sold out his ideals to make more money or even because he THINKS that is the way to be a role model, he would lose the respect from me.
If he stands up and says that he made a personal choice that he felt (feels) was right, then that garners respect. Giving in because people want to invade your personal life is no good.

Smoking, period, is bad for you. And, I always move away from the smoke when I sit by a campfire,

cooled smoke isn't the same as hot smoke :whistle:
(I also avoid inhaling campfire smoke :lol:)

This_person

So you've never actually smoked it so you know jack and #### about what you're talking about? OK.

Take the government at their word. They know what's best for you. :yay:

:rolleyes:

It's amazing how people who are generally conservative turn in to blood-sucking nanny state liberals when it comes to a little harmless plant.
I've never broken a leg, either, or gotten brain cancer. Do I need to do that before I can conclude those are not good things?

I'm not a nanny-state liberal about following the law. I'm a conservative. I believe laws should be followed. If the law is bad, we have a process to correct that, and we should use it - not violate it.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

I've never broken a leg, either, or gotten brain cancer. Do I need to do that before I can conclude those are not good things?

I'm not a nanny-state liberal about following the law. I'm a conservative. I believe laws should be followed. If the law is bad, we have a process to correct that, and we should use it - not violate it.

well this is too easy...
do you not speed or ever run stop signs?
Are some laws more worth following than others? :popcorn:

B

Beaver-Cleaver

It doesnt sound as if would base it off a picture

Oh, so he might also bring in witnesses who said he was high once upon a time.:lol:

He's got to have evidence. Hard, solid evidence. A picture ain't gonna cut it.

This_person

So, by looking at the picture, you KNOW beyond a reasonable doubt that he was smoking it in Richland County, South Carolina and not someplace where it's decriminalized or legal?

It's amazing how you know everything about everything. How do I obtain your intelligence oh wise one? :notworthy
I claim to know nothing about this other than what's been reported, and admitted to.

Anyone who thinks Phelps was not toking up didn't read any of Phelp's comments.

Regardless, my suggestion was about personal responsibility. Even if he's innocent of the crime, no one believes that. My suggestion was for his image, for demonstrating responsibility, and keeping his endorsements.