buying a cow and/or pig (for meat)

Last fall, I started to consider buying a cow and/or pig from a local farmer and having it processed so that we can freeze it. I know this is *theoretically* possible, but I have no earthly idea how to go about getting it done. So, several questions:

1) would we save money, per pound?
2) how would we find the cow/pig and
3) how would we go about getting it processed?
4) what time of year is best for this? Fall?

Please excuse my ignorance...any advice appreciated. Thank you!

L

luckystar

Interesting idea. I doubt you'd be able to save money if you weren't the one processing the meat though. Isn't that basically what you pay for in the grocery store?

Well, at the grocery store, you're also paying for the labor and cost of transporting it, stocking it, the labor to keep the grocery store up and running...we're really not looking at it as a cost-saving measure, per se, mainly just to know where our meat is coming from...but it would be nice.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
We typically buy 1/2 of a cow from a local guy in Leonardtown, and he uses a processor out of warrenton, VA.

We tell him the kinds of mearts that we want (i.e. hamburger bundled up in 2 pound packages, sirloin steaks at 2 inches thick, soup bones in 1 pound packages, etc.), and he brings the meats individually packaged and vacuum packed to my house. What is a little disconcerting, is that because you're buying 1/2 a cow, you never really know how much that cow will weight, and consequently, how much the cost will be to you. I think it worked out for us the last time that we ordered one, was that the cost was $3.00 or so. If you get a big cow, expect more money; if you get a lightweight cow, it'll cost you less money.

My guy gets his orders together now, and will be making his delivery in mid-to-late February. If you want his #, let me know and I'll PM you with it.

$3/lb? Regardless of meat type? So, you get 200lbs (some hamburger, some steak, etc) and it averages to $3/lb? I'm just trying to get an idea here...how much does a "heavy" 1/2 cow weigh? And what would you say the quality of the meat is. Do you notice a difference between it and store-bought meat? How long does 1/2 cow last you?

LOL, sorry for all the questions...you're the first person whom I've "met" who does this!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
$3/lb? Regardless of meat type? So, you get 200lbs (some hamburger, some steak, etc) and it averages to $3/lb? I'm just trying to get an idea here...how much does a "heavy" 1/2 cow weigh? And what would you say the quality of the meat is. Do you notice a difference between it and store-bought meat? How long does 1/2 cow last you?

LOL, sorry for all the questions...you're the first person whom I've "met" who does this!
I"m looking through my checkbook register to see just how much we paid for a half a cow, and I must have changed registers because it's not in here. Sorry.

The quality of the meat is superb.....very nicely marbled, rich, and simply delicious. :drool: For conveniece factors, it is nice to have such a good quality product in the freezer, all ready to cook. We still have some of last years' cow in the freezer, so we didn't purchase any this year because I just didn't have the room to store it. Keep in mind, that if you do purchase 1/2 cow, you WILL need to have a deep chest freezer of some kind. That's a whole heck of a lot of cow.

I may hve the dollar amount wrong, but I think the price per pound averaged out to around $3.00 per pound, or something near that. So..in the end, ground beef cost you $3.00, but the top of the line sirloin cost you $3.00 per poind, too.

W

Wenchy

Another consideration would be shopping at Nick's in either Calvert or Waldorf. I bring up the weekly specials online and stock the freezer when I'm in the area. All custom cut and the meat has all been fabulous.

I have ground round I paid 2.09/lb for and NY Strips I paid 2.49/lb for. The only catch is you have to buy in bulk.

I would consider half a cow but after the price of buying a freezer and knowing the deals I can get at Nick's it's pretty much a no-brainer in my case.

If I had a full-size freezer I would consider the cow.

Last edited by a moderator:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Me and 3 other people just went in on a whole cow about 3 weeks ago, it averaged out to be $2.25 per lb. In that we got alot of ground and and all sorts of other cuts including T-bone, sirloin, short rib, roast, ect.... It is really good, but the butcher advised us to cook with a little more salt since the curing time was short.

I am happy I did it. If you want more info. I can check into it further with the guy that set it up. I know we had it butchered somewhere in benedict.

ironintestines

Non-Premo
2.25 is a good average. $3 has been my average for the last few years

It's a good chunk of change up front, but in the long run, you will save soo much money for the same amount of meat had you bought it a piece at a time.

Give the local butcher shops a call. They'll point you in the right direction for whatever kind of livestock ya might have a hankering for-- (beef, pork, poultry, emu, lamb). It's what they are in business for.

SPF001

I hope this spring to pick up some steers and let them grow until fall and then butcher them. I plan on using Chucks in Bryan's Road to do the butchering. We have goats, sheep and horses now so a few cows will be fun. If your interested in what I'm planning send me a PM. Our last 3 side of beef was about 300-350 lbs. With the steers only being a year or so old I'm thinking they will be between 200 and 275 lbs per side.

Robin

Now is the time to get the weanlin steers. They are separating them from the moms now. I have 2 coming. Ribeye and T-Bone.:whistle:

Butcher in the fall.

You only save money, when you purchase half or the hole steer after butchering, not by raising them. The benefit in having the steer yourself, you are better able to monitor what you feed them as far as the feeds with medications and hormones.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I've raised a few cows, had my husband shoot them and then I skinned and cut them up myself. They were the best beef I've ever eaten beacause of what I fed them and butchering them wasn't that bad. I used a reciprocating saw and my butcher knife. I've stopped doing it for one reason it was more expensive to buy them, buy grain and hay to raise them then it was getting meat on sale at Nicks. To me the quality outweighed the cost but my fences were never the same afterwards. Cows always think the grass is greener on the other side and will try to get out and ruin good fence. I've been thinking about raising a Zeboo (spelling might not be right) They are smaller, eat less and are more fence friendly. Might get one this spring and butcher it early winter, that way I wouldn't have to buy feed for long. The kids named one cow Chocolate Milk who was brown and I named the black one Jett after Joan Jett. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I've raised a few cows, had my husband shoot them and then I skinned and cut them up myself. They were the best beef I've ever eaten beacause of what I fed them and butchering them wasn't that bad. I used a reciprocating saw and my butcher knife. I've stopped doing it for one reason it was more expensive to buy them, buy grain and hay to raise them then it was getting meat on sale at Nicks. To me the quality outweighed the cost but my fences were never the same afterwards. Cows always think the grass is greener on the other side and will try to get out and ruin good fence. I've been thinking about raising a Zeboo (spelling might not be right) They are smaller, eat less and are more fence friendly. Might get one this spring and butcher it early winter, that way I wouldn't have to buy feed for long. The kids named one cow Chocolate Milk who was brown and I named the black one Jett after Joan Jett. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Was it Chocolate or Jett that we ate on our first camp out...Which ever it was :drool:

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
Was it Chocolate or Jett that we ate on our first camp out...Which ever it was :drool:

That was Jett, she sure made some good T Bones. I had forgotten about that horseback camp out. What horse was I riding back then?
Do you remember when I raised two pigs named, Spot and Prudence? Fed them from what the waitress's scraped from the customers plates that one summer back in 85. They were some kind of tasty, already seasoned from eating all the leftover scampi butter, prime rib fat, Chilean sea bass,scallops liquor and baked brie rinds. I had Spot roast that first night after they were butchered and couldn't believe how wonderful they tasted. Might raise another pig this spring. Suki could use some company even if only temporary.

Cowgirl

Now is the time to get the weanlin steers. They are separating them from the moms now. I have 2 coming. Ribeye and T-Bone.:whistle:

Butcher in the fall.

You only save money, when you purchase half or the hole steer after butchering, not by raising them. The benefit in having the steer yourself, you are better able to monitor what you feed them as far as the feeds with medications and hormones.

Weaning now? Who calves in late summer?

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
There are several amish farms who sell beef or hogs dressed or alive. One is located on James Rd which is a turn off of Rt 246. He has a sign up for beef right now. Another fellow is also off of Rt 246 on Bethel Church Rd. Henry Hertzler is his name and he does hogs. The flavor of his pork chops is out of this world! Any day but Sunday is good to stop in and see if you can catch up with them to find out prices, etc. Henry will even come out and butcher for those of us too timid to do it.

Robin

Weaning now? Who calves in late summer?

weaning them out of the crop for sale. yearlings going to sale. Hey, now you know there are some that have late crop. it happens

getting them now butchering in the fall 18 monthers....

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
What about at the 4-h auction

there are alot of kids out there raising animals for there 4-h projects you usualy can get some good meat at good prices fromthe auction plus it helps out the local 4-h clubs... check out your local 4-h clubs