What is happening to this country?!!

foodcritic

This is a must read. I could not believe what I read. I am really convinced now that our country is going down the tubes and will never be the country that it used to be. I feel sorry for our children.

An Arizona man who has waged a 10-year campaign to stop a flood of illegal immigrants from crossing his property is being sued by 16 Mexican nationals who accuse him of conspiring to violate their civil rights when he stopped them at gunpoint on his ranch on the U.S.-Mexico border.

Washington Times - 16 illegals sue Arizona rancher

K

Kain99

I heard the whole story this morning. It really is disgusting.

This_person

"This is my land. I´m the victim here," Mr. Barnett said. "When someone´s home and loved ones are in jeopardy and the government seemingly can´t do anything about it, I feel justified in taking matters into my own hands. And I always watch my back."
The lone voice of reason, it sounds like, in this case.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
$32 million in actual and punitive damages for civil rights violations, the infliction of emotional distress and other crimes.
:baby: :drama: That's $2M per illegal. I don't know what that would translate to in their money, but it would be a lot, and probably 1,000 times more than they would normally make in their lifetimes.

He said the immigrants tore up water pumps, killed calves, destroyed fences and gates, stole trucks and broke into his home.
And how successful would he have been if he had sued any of these illegals for doing those things? Probably would have been told to shut up and kicked out of court.

Too bad he didn't solve this when it happened. Dead men don't talk. :yay:

ImnoMensa

He seems to be the only man that is doing anything. He should be sworn in as a Deputy US Marshall and given a team of officers to work with him.

If so many illegals are crossing his land why does he have to stop them. Where is the Border Patrol? I know ,I know ,they are sitting in their cars hiding so they wont be arrested for doing their jobs.

This case should have never made it to court but there are plenty of slimy tort lawyers ready and willing to take the case of these slimeballs .

hvp05

Has anyone pulled up the MALDEF site? It's rather disgusting.

Here is how they have portrayed the story (the bolded parts in the paragraph are mine):
MALDEF said:
ARIZONA SUPREME COURT REJECTS APPEAL OF VIGILANTE RANCHER WHO ATTACKED U.S. CITIZENS ON ARIZONA BORDER

PHOENIX, AZ – Today, the Arizona Supreme Court rejected the appeal of border vigilante Roger Barnett who was found liable by a jury after assaulting a family of Latino U.S. citizens while they were hunting on state land in southern Arizona. The Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF), which represents the plaintiffs in the case, urged the Supreme Court to reject Barnett’s appeal and argued that the jury had rightfully found Barnett at fault for his vicious attack upon the family.

Other stories from their News page...

MALDEF said:
Johnston County Commission Appeal:

MALDEF Asks Johnston County, NC Commission To Call For Resignation Of Sheriff Based On Inflammatory And Derogatory Statements About Mexicans.

MALDEF said:
Farmers Branch Anti-Immigrant Ordinance:

ACLU Of Texas and MALDEF File Suit To Stop Farmers Branch Newest Anti-Immigrant Ordinance.

Here's a golden nugget...
MALDEF said:
Republican Party Platform:

Republican Party Platform Reflects Anti-Immigrant Views, National Hispanic Leadership Agenda rejects platform's hostility toward immigrants.

Why can't these folks be charged with treason for compromising U.S. sovereignty and security?

jetmonkey

Has anyone pulled up the MALDEF site? It's rather disgusting.

Here is how they have portrayed the story (the bolded parts in the paragraph are mine):

Other stories from their News page...

Here's a golden nugget...

Why can't these folks be charged with treason for compromising U.S. sovereignty and security?

Because they represent votes for the Democrats :yay:

You know what to do to it, SOMD RIGHTIES.

hvp05

I wonder why this has not drawn more attention. Either people don't care or they aren't surprised.

R

RadioPatrol

This is a must read. I could not believe what I read. I am really convinced now that our country is going down the tubes and will never be the country that it used to be. I feel sorry for our children.

Update:

Deported for drugs, illegal sues rancher

One of the 16 illegal immigrants allowed by a federal court to sue an Arizona rancher for stopping them at gunpoint after they sneaked across the U.S.-Mexico border is a convicted felon deported from this country after a 1993 arrest by U.S. authorities on drug charges, court records show.

Gerardo Gonzalez, described in a lawsuit brought by the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund (MALDEF) as a 38-year-old Mexican citizen, was convicted in September 1993 for possession of a controlled substance for sale and ordered deported to his home country.

Gonzalez, whose illegal re-entry after removal under U.S. law would be another felony, is among five women and 11 men detained by Roger Barnett, owner of the Cross Rail Ranch near Douglas, Ariz.

The trial against Mr. Barnett on charges of civil rights violations began last week before U.S. District Court Judge John M. Roll in Tucson and is expected to conclude Friday.

Asked about Gonzalez, MALDEF spokeswoman Laura Rodriguez in Los Angeles said Thursday night that a gag order had been issued in the case and she could not comment.

MALDEF had sought Jan. 6 to preclude questioning, testimony or evidence regarding Gonzalez´s drug conviction and his removal from the U.S., saying it was "irrelevant to the factual and legal issues at hand and extremely prejudicial."

Attorney Victor A. Rodriquez also sought to exclude at trial the numerous photographs and a videotape depicting vandalism and the transportation of illegal drugs through the Barnetts´ ranch. He said the photos and video did not involve any of the plaintiffs in this case.

On Jan. 8, Judge Roll denied both motions.

The lawsuit seeks $32 million for civil rights violations, the infliction of emotional distress and other accusations - $1 million actual damages and $1 million punitive damages for each of the illegal immigrants.

Also named are Mr. Barnett's wife, Barbara, his brother, Donald, and Larry Dever, the sheriff in Cochise County, Ariz., where the Barnetts live. The trial is based on a March 7, 2004, incident in which Mr. Barnett approached a group of illegal immigrants while carrying a gun and accompanied by his dog.

The lawsuit said the Barnetts "engaged in a private campaign and have conspired with each other and others to 'hunt' and detain against their will, and at gunpoint, Latino migrants or presumed migrants such as plaintiffs."

It also said Mr. Barnett committed assault and battery, falsely arrested and imprisoned the 16 illegal immigrants, acted negligently, inflicted emotional distress and "engaged in a conspiracy to deprive plaintiffs of their civil rights."

But in a statement of facts filed with the court, Mr. Barnett's attorney, David T. Hardy, said his client's 22,000-acre ranch is frequently crossed by illegal immigrants and drug smugglers and that Mr. Barnett was checking for damages when his dog started barking and ran off into the desert. He said Mr. Barnett followed the dog and came across a large group of people "apparently trying to hide."

"Since drug smugglers are frequently armed, I drew my handgun," Mr. Barnett said in an April 18, 2007, deposition. "I holstered it after assuring myself they were not armed. I then called Border Patrol on my cell phone, and my wife, Barbara, on my radio, and waited until Border Patrol arrived and took them into custody."

A March 2007 deposition of Border Patrol agent Manuel Rodriquez found that after agents ran a records check of those detained on the Barnett ranch, other members of the party had made prior attempts at illegal entry.

Mrs. Barnett said during an April 2007 deposition that her husband would not have seen the 16 illegal immigrants had it not been for the dog.

"If the dog hadn't gotten out and started barking, we would have never known they were there," she said.

In a 2002 interview with The Washington Times, Mr. Barnett, now 64, said he first started to notice tracks and trash on his ranch in 1998, and learned later that his property had become a major route for illegal immigrants headed out of Mexico and for northbound drug smugglers.

The ranch sits in what Cochise County, Ariz., law enforcement authorities call "the avenue of choice" for illegal immigration.

"Thousands of aliens have crossed my property," Mr. Barnett said during the interview. "There are so many that I can tell you that at times it looks like a slow-motion invasion. Literally, I feel like the guy with his finger in the dike, and I just don´t think I can hold back the flood."

He said intruders on his ranch tore up water pumps, killed calves, destroyed fences and gates, stole trucks and broke into his home. Some of his cattle have died from ingesting the plastic bottles left behind by the immigrants, he said, adding that he installed a faucet on an 8,000-gallon water tank so the immigrants would stop damaging the tank to get water.

UFB .... the only "Right" an illegal entrant to this country has, is a ride back to where he / she came from.

if found dying ... medical treatment to stabilize them should be applied (not long term care implied) and then place on the 1st Mexican't 18 wheeler going back across the border

:popcorn:

why pay for a bus or plane ticket .... load 'em up on some Mexican't truck going back across the border ... or if that does not work, put them on a plane flying to southern Mexican't so it takes them longer to get back to the border ...

bcp

In My Opinion
I gave one a hot cup of coffee for trying to get into my truck in front of a 7-11, I think he was happy with it. He ran off yelling in mexican to his buddies about my generousity.

I felt good for helping.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
I gave one a hot cup of coffee for trying to get into my truck in front of a 7-11, I think he was happy with it. He ran off yelling in mexican to his buddies about my generousity.

I felt good for helping.
Me thinks he was wearing the hot coffee? :confused:

hvp05

"... Latino migrants or presumed migrants..."
Now the prosecution can not even admit that they were in fact crossing the border. Oh, I'm sure they could just as well have been a family out for a stroll - all 16 of them. :rolleyes:

Curiously, none of the forum Dems have run to their defense. I guess if it's not a Republican bashfest they don't care or don't know how to respond.

Everyone on the prosecution's side should be drawn, quartered and left in an unnamed field.