Petsmart

Nosenheimer

duh ....don't mind that last reply of mine. It just gets me that they sell other animals for feeders, but you can't feed their rats to snakes. Oh well ... Don't mind me :biggrin:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
You've never heard of them. They're for snakes. For people who don't want to feed live. They're useless. :rolleyes: I had a rat snake hatchling that I knew was too small for even a pinky so I tried them. He wanted nothing to do with them.

Nosenheimer

No, sorry .... never heard of em.
My snake won't eat anything if it's not alive. Tried the frozen rats, that didn't work out at all. So back to the other pet-store it is :biggrin: or start breeding my own rats. Who knows :shrug:

K

Kizzy

Petsmart is actually being smart about this. They wouldn’t want to advertise their rats as feeders because it does sound inhumane. You buy the rat, it is yours, if you want you can eat it or feed it to your snake. :barf:

Nosenheimer

You don't sound stupid at all. There's no difference, rats are rats ..... but if you go to Petsmart trying to buy a rat and you tell them it's for the snake, your busted ...... they won't sell it to you, unless you lie and tell em it's gonna a be a pet :angel:

ShaunaNJoe

I'm hungry....
Crickets

PetSmart rarely EVER has crickets for my lizard. I would try Petco right across the street. They had PLENTY of crickets so maybe they will have the rats you need.

:deadhorse :moon:

Last edited:

Sherriboo

I use to work for PetSmart the reason they don't do feeders is (2 reason actually). Sme stores in the area that sell feeders have been sued for snakes eating rats and mice that are sick and the snake becomes very sick or even dies (thats the under raps reason the real reason).The other one is they are trying to have a image of a kid and family friendly pet store, but it all has to do with sick rats and mice. There is a store across from the cromwell station (light rail) Thats sells feeders.The bad part about buying pet rats and mice rather than feeders is differnece in price about 2-4 dollars more for pets rather than 2-3 dollars for feeders :dance:

Last edited:

nomoney

Sherriboo said:
I use to wokr for PetSmart the reason they don't do feeders is (2 reason actually) some stores in teh area that sell feeders have been sued for snakes eating rats and mice that are sick and the snake becomes very sick or even dies (thats they under raps reason the real reason) The other one is they are trying to have a image of a kid and family friendly pet store. But it all has to do with sick rats and mice. There is across from the cromwell station (light rail) Thats sells feeders.The bad part about buying pet rats and mice rather than feeders is differnece in price about 2-4 dollars more for pets rather than 2-3 dollars for feeders :dance:

You worked at petsmart for the reason they don't do feeders? When I get a job its usually for the reason of the paycheck.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
nomoney said:
You worked at petsmart for the reason they don't do feeders? When I get a job its usually for the reason of the paycheck.
I wish they'd pay her in punctuation.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
nomoney said:
:lol: You don't go to work at PETsMART for the paycheck... believe me. (Retail in general, actually...)

I think Sherriboo's answer was pretty much correct. I know there was a 'health concern' reasoning behind the policy, although I can't remember the details.

They have a similar policy concerning betta fish. You can buy up to 5 a day. And if you tell them that you will intentionally put them together they will not let you have them at all. (They are small, aggressive fish that have a tendency to fight and eat each other if released in the same tank... which some people do for fun.)

R

rdonthehd

Nosenheimer said:
oh yeah, I forgot ...... Waldorf :rolleyes:

Then Leonardtown is probably a bit far for you, but, there is Corner Critters in downtown L-town (Washington circle) that sells only reptiles and birds and they sell feeder everything there for the snakes. I go in sometimes when they are feeding the hatchlings day old baby mice. It's fun to watch nature take it's course! :popcorn:

Cowgirl

If I were you I'd just breed my own rats.... Does your snake eat frozen rats? If so, that's perfect. If not, then find other people in the area that have snakes so you can share your rats. Rats have large litters...so if you have a smaller snake that can't eat adult rats, it might not work. By the time you get around to feeding the last rat of that litter, that rat is going to be much larger. Rats actually make great pets...I used to breed them.

onebdzee

off the shelf
Terrylt7 said:
Corner Critters have lots snakes and mice and rats and stuff. Nice people also.

did you notice that this tread is 9 months old?

and the one you replied to is over 3 years old?

I think they might have found the feeders by now....if not, I don't think they are looking to feed that snake anymore....It would be dead by now