Radioactive material missing...

R

RadioPatrol

from Walmart :jet:

Apparently enough to make a bomb.

I heard this as a lead-in for tonight's 11pm news, so I googled it. Lots of blog chat on this, but this article seems to be legit.

They contain tritium gas, a form of hydrogen which is used for emergency exit signs because of its ability to glow in the dark when the power goes out.

same stuff used to enhance Nuke Explosions .... however IMHO it would be hard to gather the gas to make a "Dirty Bomb"

I would be more concerned with Cobalt60 out of an old X-Ray Machine ...

oh and those signs are everywhere ....

The list includes such heavy users of the signs as AMC Theaters, Boeing, Brigham Young University, the Department of Veterans Affairs, Hilton Hotels, Home Depot, the Smithsonian Institution, and the U.S. Postal Service.

a lot of Goberment buildings .... Airports ...

In 2007, Greenpeace warned that "releases of radioactive tritium from Canadian nuclear power plants are so elevated that children under 4 and pregnant women shouldn't live within 10 kilometres of an atomic generating station, and those living within five kilometres shouldn't eat food grown in their gardens."

From Wiki:

Self-powered lighting
A tritium illuminated watch face

The emitted electrons from small amounts of tritium cause phosphors to glow so as to make self-powered lighting devices called betalights, which are now used in watches, exit signs, and a variety of other devices. This takes the place of radium, which can cause bone cancer and has been banned in most countries for decades.

The aforementioned IEER report claims that the commercial demand for tritium is 400 grams per year.

[edit] Nuclear weapons

Tritium is widely used in nuclear weapons for boosting a fission bomb or the fission primary of a thermonuclear weapon. Before detonation, a few grams of tritium-deuterium gas are injected into the hollow "pit" of fissile plutonium or uranium. The early stages of the fission chain reaction supply enough heat and compression to start DT fusion, then both fission and fusion proceed in parallel, the fission assisting the fusion by continuing heating and compression, and the fusion assisting the fission with highly energetic (14.1 MeV) neutrons. As the fission fuel depletes and also explodes outward, it falls below the density needed to stay critical by itself, but the fusion neutrons make the fission process progress faster and continue longer than it would without boosting. Increased yield comes overwhelmingly from the increase in fission; the energy released by the fusion itself is much smaller because the amount of fusion fuel is much smaller.

Besides increased yield (for the same amount of fission fuel with vs. without boosting) and the possibility of variable yield (by varying the amount of fusion fuel), possibly even more important advantages are allowing the weapon (or primary of a weapon) to have a smaller amount of fissile material (eliminating the risk of predetonation by nearby nuclear explosions) and more relaxed requirements for implosion, allowing a smaller implosion system.

Because the tritium in the warhead is continuously decaying, it is necessary to replenish it periodically. The estimated quantity needed is 4 grams per warhead.[15] To maintain constant inventory, 0.22 grams per warhead per year must be produced.

As tritium quickly decays and is difficult to contain, the much larger secondary charge of a thermonuclear weapon instead uses lithium deuteride as its fusion fuel; during detonation, neutrons split lithium-6 into helium-4 and tritium; the tritium then fuses with deuterium, producing more neutrons. As this process requires a higher temperature for ignition, and produces fewer and less energetic neutrons (only D-D fusion and 7Li splitting are net neutron producers), LiD is not used for boosting, only for secondaries.

Guess i should have died years ago .... I broke open a "Glow in the Dark" LCD watch in 78' I am sure I was exposed to the trit. :cds:

I remember the T3 symbol on several watches I own as a child ......

from Walmart :jet:

Apparently enough to make a bomb.

The Raw Story | Could missing Wal-Mart signs wind up as dirty bomb?

I heard this as a lead-in for tonight's 11pm news, so I googled it. Lots of blog chat on this, but this article seems to be legit.

Yeah, the NRC did issue a demand for information back in January, when it became apparent that Walmart had not been keeping track of its signs properly, thereby confirming that they disposed of them in accordance with regulations. Probably not a big deal - they've likely just been throwing them out instead of paying a fee to someone to take care of them. The NRC operates out of an abundance of caution in such regards (not a criticism, just creating perspective).

Is there some marginal risk of adverse health effects? Sure - but the likelihood that an individual will have sufficient exposure to be adversly effected is minimal. Most people are going to be exposed to far more radiation by virtue of what is perpetually present in nature.

Tritium just isn't that radioactive. It's half life is relatively short. It emits beta particles, the effects of which are very short ranged -they don't even penetrate skin. Even when ingested (usually as tritiated water), the body excretes it relatively efficiently.

As far as making a 'dirty bomb' - certainly someone could use tritium to do that, and it's not like they would have to have 'enough' (as in a critical mass) to do so. A 'dirty bomb' doesn't use material to achieve a nuclear chain reaction which releases tons of energy and radiation. Rather, it is essentially just a conventional explosive, but instead of using pellets, or nails, or glass, etc. as shrapnel - it uses radioactive material which can be more widely dispersed and have a wider potential effect. In theory, you could make a 'dirty bomb' with any amount of any radioactive material, but its effectiveness would be a function of how much and what you used. There are probably other materials that one could use to more effect, in that regard, than this tritium. The truth is that there just isn't much that can be done to completely eliminate such possiblities.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Yeah, the NRC did issue a demand for information back in January, when it became apparent that Walmart had not been keeping track of its signs properly, thereby confirming that they disposed of them in accordance with regulations. Probably not a big deal - they've likely just been throwing them out instead of paying a fee to someone to take care of them. The NRC operates out of an abundance of caution in such regards (not a criticism, just creating perspective).

Is there some marginal risk of adverse health effects? Sure - but the likelihood that an individual will have sufficient exposure to be adversly effected is minimal. Most people are going to be exposed to far more radiation by virtue of what is perpetually present in nature.

Tritium just isn't that radioactive. It's half life is relatively short. It emits beta particles, the effects of which are very short ranged -they don't even penetrate skin. Even when ingested (usually as tritiated water), the body excretes it relatively efficiently.

As far as making a 'dirty bomb' - certainly someone could use tritium to do that, and it's not like they would have to have 'enough' (as in a critical mass) to do so. A 'dirty bomb' doesn't use material to achieve a nuclear chain reaction which releases tons of energy and radiation. Rather, it is essentially just a conventional explosive, but instead of using pellets, or nails, or glass, etc. as shrapnel - it uses radioactive material which can be more widely dispersed and have a wider potential effect. In theory, you could make a 'dirty bomb' with any amount of any radioactive material, but its effectiveness would be a function of how much and what you used. There are probably other materials that one could use to more effect, in that regard, than this tritium. The truth is that there just isn't much that can be done to completely eliminate such possiblities.
Yeah, I know...most of that was in the article. It's not like the signs were missing from the same place. It's more like no one ever told the Walmart maintenance crews that the broken signs that looked like trash weren't supposed to be thrown away like trash.

But the headline sounded good and I made you look....

I should be in charge of the media. :evil: