St Mary's City Bridge?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Isn't there a follow-up meeting on the bridge crossing route 5 at St Mary's College? I've lost or thrown away my notice that came in the mail. Does anybody have that information?

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
It was last night. I was there. It seems the bridge idea was scrapped (thank God) but the SHA stepped in (btw- the College neglected to include them initially) and had a list of 'Thou Shalt Not's". The College did get smart and did research (how novel - a college board doing actual research) and came up with other ideas. But I had to leave early. There will be other meetings (I hope) . There was mention of the college meeting with SHA to discuss some of their requirements.
A full transcript is supposed to be published on the College website under CDA but it's not there yet.

Capital Design Advisory(CDA) Group

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
It was last night. I was there. It seems the bridge idea was scrapped (thank God) but the SHA stepped in (btw- the College neglected to include them initially) and had a list of 'Thou Shalt Not's". The College did get smart and did research (how novel - a college board doing actual research) and came up with other ideas. But I had to leave early. There will be other meetings (I hope) . There was mention of the college meeting with SHA to discuss some of their requirements.
A full transcript is supposed to be published on the College website under CDA but it's not there yet.

Capital Design Advisory(CDA) Group

Thank you! I'm sorry I missed it.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I'm confuseded. A bunch of college kids can't look both ways before they head out to cross the street? :shrug:

Maybe they don't belong in college if they don't know, or can't follow, the age old practice of 'looking before you cross'.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'm confuseded. A bunch of college kids can't look both ways before they head out to cross the street? :shrug:

Maybe they don't belong in college if they don't know, or can't follow, the age old practice of 'looking before you cross'.

They are too busy talking on cell phones. They're practicing for when they get jobs and huge SUVs, so they can endanger everyone on the roadways.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
They should just reduce the speed limit to 5mph. That would make it easier to sight see while driving through.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
The are several problems. During the day (workday) the "adults" cross in a stream, traffic gets held up and (of course) the safety concerns because these are wanna be liberals that need big brother to watch out for them.
I will say that it's hard to see the cross walk areas when it's dark.
The adults also walk in the roadway and cross where ever they feel like it. Of course it's all our fault and we have to appease them because we're a bunch of yokels (with engineering degrees) who should be driving donkey carts to work to pay taxes to subsidize their overpriced school...................

terbear1225

The are several problems. During the day (workday) the "adults" cross in a stream, traffic gets held up and (of course) the safety concerns because these are wanna be liberals that need big brother to watch out for them.
I will say that it's hard to see the cross walk areas when it's dark.
The adults also walk in the roadway and cross where ever they feel like it. Of course it's all our fault and we have to appease them because we're a bunch of yokels (with engineering degrees) who should be driving donkey carts to work to pay taxes to subsidize their overpriced school...................

not all SMC students feel that way. many are not "wanna be liberals" and are fully capable of taking care of themselves. in fact many of those "wanna be's" stick around and become "yokels" ourselves. it is not the students fault if they cross in a stream, of course they tend to cross in groups, classes get let out at the same time. that's what happens when you have road running through a college campus.

that said, I agree that building a pedestrian bridge is dumb idea and entirely wasteful and college stdents should be intelligent enough to look both ways before crossing a road. just because some idiots can't be bothered desn't mean you should stereotype them all as being that dumb.

jetmonkey

not all SMC students feel that way. many are not "wanna be liberals" and are fully capable of taking care of themselves. in fact many of those "wanna be's" stick around and become "yokels" ourselves. it is not the students fault if they cross in a stream, of course they tend to cross in groups, classes get let out at the same time. that's what happens when you have road running through a college campus.

that said, I agree that building a pedestrian bridge is dumb idea and entirely wasteful and college stdents should be intelligent enough to look both ways before crossing a road. just because some idiots can't be bothered desn't mean you should stereotype them all as being that dumb.

My favorite thing overheard while in class at SMC; "YOU'RE A MARXIST? I'M A MARXIST, TOO!!!"

BernieP

Resident PIA

They are too busy talking on cell phones. They're practicing for when they get jobs and huge SUVs, so they can endanger everyone on the roadways.

actually the onious is on you to stop for them if they are in the cross walk (which, based on observations at most shopping centers, most drivers don't do). Obvioulsy staying with in the 25 MPH limit and yielding to pedistrians in the cross walk would be a burden to the commuters trying to make it to work on time.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
actually the onious is on you to stop for them if they are in the cross walk (which, based on observations at most shopping centers, most drivers don't do). Obvioulsy staying with in the 25 MPH limit and yielding to pedistrians in the cross walk would be a burden to the commuters trying to make it to work on time.
Oh, I totally get what you're saying.

But in those instances where it is dark outside and people crossing the street are wearing dark clothes, it is difficult to see anyone crossing the street until you are almost on top of them. This is really my issue...if we (the drivers) can't see you to allow you to safely cross the road, the you (the cross-ee) needs to stop and allow the car to continue before you go splat-splat. Easy enough, right?

But in those instances where it is dark outside and people crossing the street are wearing dark clothes, it is difficult to see anyone crossing the street until you are almost on top of them. This is really my issue...if we (the drivers) can't see you to allow you to safely cross the road, the you (the cross-ee) needs to stop and allow the car to continue before you go splat-splat. Easy enough, right?

A lighted crosswalk would be far cheaper.....

ylexot

Super Genius

FYI, the speed limit is 35 MPH.

BTW, I've never seen a traffic backup because of students crossing. And yes, I have driven through there in the middle of the day.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

So who loses.. car doesn't yield to pedestrian.. hits said pedestrian because they didn't look and walked into their path..

Driver is wrong, but pedestrian is f'd up.. Driver gets a ticket, pedestrian gets to wear a helmet and drool on themselves the rest of their life.

Being a pedestrian is about equivalent to being on a motorcycle.. it doesn't matter who's right, it matters who gets home..

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
FYI, the speed limit is 35 MPH.

BTW, I've never seen a traffic backup because of students crossing. And yes, I have driven through there in the middle of the day.

The speed limit is 30 mph.

What's a traffic backup? 2 cars? 6 cars? 20 cars? Any of these happen on a daily basis at the southern crosswalk.

and on may 1...can't get through there at all noon-time

terbear1225

I have been through that crosswalk as both a pedestrian and a driver in broad daylight and at nihgt. I have never once had a problem with being unable to see someone i the crosswalk at night. it is well lit and if you are doing the speed limit, you have plenty of time to slow down before getting to the crosswalk.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
They need to put more lights in there. Was driving thru there about 8 at night this past week when the weather was nice, and the car coming southbound didn't even tap it's brakes until they almost hit the kid walking thru the cross walk.
On a side note, last week we went down in two fire trucks to measure it across. At the current rate, they passed with three feet to spare.

BOP

We're talking 'tards here.