$30.9 B, $9.6 B, $6.2 B, $68 M, $13.4 B, $16.6 B

$30,900,000,000 - That's how much money GM lost in 2008 (including special items)
$9,600,000,000 - That's how much money GM lost in the last 3 months of 2008 (including special items)
$6,200,000,000 - That's how much cash GM burned through in the last 3 months of 2008
$68,000,000 - That's how much cash GM burned through per day in the last 3 months of 2008
$13,400,000,000 - That's how much money the U.S. government has given GM since December 2008
$16,600,000,000 - That's how much more money GM says it needs (and without at least some of which, they say that they might run out of cash as soon as March)

Do the math. How much longer are we willing to subsidize this dysfunctional machine?

That $68 Million per day number is particularly telling. Basically, that is the amount of liquidity that they lose every day (and their liquidity would have already fallen to a level, at which they could not have continued to operate, if we had not given them money). That is also about how much more insolvent they become everyday that we keep letting them operate as they are. Essentially, we are stealing that much money from their bondholders, their pensioners, and some of their suppliers - and giving it to their current employees and some of their suppliers, every day that we continue to prop up their on-going operations. (The swap for their suppliers is probably a net-wash overall, but it is probably a benefit to specific suppliers at the expense of other ones.)

GM Posts Loss, Expects 'Going Concern' Notice

TotalEclipse31

$30,900,000,000 - That's how much money GM lost in 2008 (including special items)
$9,600,000,000 - That's how much money GM lost in the last 3 months of 2008 (including special items)
$6,200,000,000 - That's how much cash GM burned through in the last 3 months of 2008
$68,000,000 - That's how much cash GM burned through per day in the last 3 months of 2008
$13,400,000,000 - That's how much money the U.S. government has given GM since December 2008
$16,600,000,000 - That's how much more money GM says it needs (and without at least some of which, they say that they might run out of cash as soon as March)

Do the math. How much longer are we willing to subsidize this dysfunctional machine?

That $68 Million per day number is particularly telling. Basically, that is the amount of liquidity that they lose every day (and their liquidity would have already fallen to a level, at which they could not have continued to operate, if we had not given them money). That is also about how much more insolvent they become everyday that we keep letting them operate as they are. Essentially, we are stealing that much money from their bondholders, their pensioners, and some of their suppliers - and giving it to their current employees and some of their suppliers, every day that we continue to prop up their on-going operations. (The swap for their suppliers is probably a net-wash overall, but it is probably a benefit to specific suppliers at the expense of other ones.)

GM Posts Loss, Expects 'Going Concern' Notice

You have any idea what all this is doing to the value of my car??!!??!?!?!? GGGRRRRRRRR!

TotalEclipse31

the problem with just getting a new one is that I still have to pay for the one I have now. I know I would get a good deal on a new one, but I would still have negative equity from the one I have now. I put $10,000 down on a $26,000 car less then 2 years ago, and the value has dropped to less then I owe. IN 2 YEARS!!

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I did do the math. By your numbers, GM was up about $4 billion fourth quarter '08. Unless that loss includes the $13 billion we gave them.

:lol:

Wait.

:jameo:

foodcritic

I did do the math. By your numbers, GM was up about $4 billion fourth quarter '08. Unless that loss includes the $13 billion we gave them.

:lol:

Wait.

:jameo:

MEANWHILE congress "persons" are yelling about banks using TARP money for Golf tournaments.

You think they will say the same thing about GM and Chrysler or Ford sponsoring NASCAR???????

Using private jets etc....

These members need to be ousted out by the ear.:popcorn:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
MEANWHILE congress "persons" are yelling about banks using TARP money for Golf tournaments.

You think they will say the same thing about GM and Chrysler or Ford sponsoring NASCAR???????

Using private jets etc....

These members need to be ousted out by the ear.:popcorn:

OK, but congress is being asinine and saying to the American people "You're too ####ing stupid to know that an executive using a jet is in the interest of the company as is advertising therefore we're going to yell at these people for show because y'all will buy it."

Good Lord, Obama is talking about stimulating the economy by taking your and my money out of one side of his mouth and admonishing Wells Fargo for doing that very thing out of the other side of his mouth; stimulating the economy and spending some dough in Vegas.

How does it help if GM sells their jets? Whose gonna buy 'em in this new 'moral' world? What about the folks getting paid to fly and maintain GM's planes? They gonna go pick up a broom? Just get fired?

We are such a mess. :lol:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Obama will come in with his VAST business managerial skills and run GM too!!

He paid to keep them in business, by doG he should be allowed to play in the sandbox too..

Here he comes to save the day!!

I liked his speech.. WE WILL RECOVER.. no chit sherlock.. we'd recover if you did absolutely NOTHING.. Now you're just delaying the inevitable RECOVERY!!