By Jesse Yeatman

Staff Writer

E-Mail This Article | Print This Story

See related stories

Cause of Tippett's death remains under investigation

Body of missing man identified

Search continues for Tippett

Posted at 4:20 p.m. Friday

Police this week ruled out foul play in the death of Mark Alan Tippett.

Tippett disappeared from his home in Cedar Cove in September 2006 and at one point it was investigated by police as a homicide. The case remained open and after an extensive search of the area around his home in Cedar Cove, his remains were discovered on Feb. 10 and sent to the state medical examiner's office.

Toxicology could not be performed on Tippett's remains; however, extensive forensic examination by the state medical examiner's office failed to reveal any signs of trauma, according to police. The official cause of death is listed as undetermined.

"The totality of the circumstances points to a suicide or an accidental death," a police statement says.

Statements made by Tippett's wife, Lisa Marie Tippett, and suspicious circumstances surrounding his disappearance led police to reclassify the investigation as a homicide a year ago, according to statement from the St. Mary's County Bureau of Criminal Investigations. However, Lisa Tippett's statements were not true, based on the condition and location of the remains, and homicide was ruled out, according to the statement.

The investigation by St. Mary's County Bureau of Criminal Investigations Cold Case Unit has officially been closed.

I thought he was last seen carrying a weapon? So he committed suicide, but they found no trauma to the body? They did an extensive search for 3 years, but found no body, and then wa la, a body is found? Statements made by the wife led them to classify the investigation as a homicide, but now they have a body they say it's not a homicide? This story :geek: all around.

HeadCase

IT's ALL RED
Did they find the gun and bottle of zanax he "supposedly" left with? How can they label it a suicide when the "tools" he left the house with weren't there? Lisa told the enterprise newspaper that "we had a falling out and he was upset because MY (her) mom died a year ago and he left with a bottle of zanax and a gun". The zanax was hers....BTW

Considering it's been years since his death; could the possibility of strangulation have happened? I don't believe for 1 second it was suicide. And ANYONE and EVERYONE that knew Mark would tell you that too!

krb

Uh, yeah. As a Family member I think will just say nothing. It all stinks-badly. RIP Mark!

Dondi

Dondi
I'm sad to hear this. I didn't even know they found him until this thread. He had such a great attitude from what little time I knew him from living at Spyglass. I, for another, find it hard to believe that he would take his own life. Something just doesn't add up. I sure hope that wasn't the case. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. May God give comfort to his soul. RIP Mark.

nomoney

How did they know to look for the body again and not only that, how did it only take them 2 + hours to find skeletal remains when they couldn't find him whole back then unless they were tipped off? And if they were tipped off, wouldn't that alone put enough suspicion to push it more on the side of foul play? :confused:

I watch too much NCIS and CSI.

MissKitty

I suspect that Lisa has a family member who is a local Principal.... I heard that they have some pull in this county. :yay:

tom88

I suspect that Lisa has a family member who is a local Principal.... I heard that they have some pull in this county. :yay:

Right, that is why Lisa is currently incarcerated. The family has so much pull, that the police are going to arrest her for all the minor and major charges, but something like a dead body they will cover up. :sarcasm:

You can't be such a dullard that you would believe this could you?

MissKitty

Right, that is why Lisa is currently incarcerated. The family has so much pull, that the police are going to arrest her for all the minor and major charges, but something like a dead body they will cover up. :sarcasm:

I'm sure that's why it was ruled a suicide. Do you even know a principal?

tom88

I'm sure that's why it was ruled a suicide. Do you even know a principal?

Yea, I know a number of principals. I don't know any that have any pull with local county government. A principal is someone who adminsters a school. How do you go from a school adminstrator having such pull with the police that they would alter an investigation? That is what you are suggesting isn't it? The police and the medical examiner are coming to a conclusion other than the truth?

The_MailLadi

I still find that hard to believe:whistle: Something just dosen't add up with all of this. JMO

:popcorn:

I agree, I find it hard to believe as well, if she has been saying suicide all along, and new where he was, than why wasn't that information given in the beginning instead of two years later that his family has had to suffer not knowing where Mark was. I don't believe that law enforcement and other search and rescue personnel are just going to ignore an area where they believe he may have been if they had known sooner. If that was my husband and I thought that he was about to commit suicide, I sure as hell wouldn't be sitting back waiting for someone to find his body, I would be out there beating down doors for someone to help me find him, not sitting back smokin crack and laying up with someone else burning down my house waiting for the obvious answer about my husband's whereabouts. Hopefully Mark's family will finally get some answers they have been long searching for, until then I hope they have some peace. What a tragedy!

MissKitty

Yea, I know a number of principals. I don't know any that have any pull with local county government. A principal is someone who adminsters a school. How do you go from a school adminstrator having such pull with the police that they would alter an investigation? That is what you are suggesting isn't it? The police and the medical examiner are coming to a conclusion other than the truth?

:popcorn:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones

Obviously you CAN be such a douchebag that you don't get jokes.