My dogs been bitten by a dog!

Christy

b*tch rocket
:yikes:

My dog and the neighbors dog got into a knock down drag out today, and my dog has some pretty deep puncture wounds right behind his right front leg (on his chest area). It doesn't seem to be bothering him, but they look really deep.

Any suggestions? Anyone else had this happen to their dog?

I've irrigated it with peroxide. Am I a bad mommy for not taking him to the vet ASAP? :shrug:

Christy

b*tch rocket
No, not yet. He's still on antibiotics for his lyme disease, so I'm hoping it will hold off any infection.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Are the dogs involved current on shots, specifically rabies booster? If so, keep an eye on it looking for signs of infection. If not current, you might want to consider the ten-day quarantine and notify animal control.

Not sure about Neosporin, but I guess it couldn't hurt. If it works on dogs like humans it will heal quicker. If it isn't bothering your dog much it should be okay.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Good point Ken, I didn't even consider that!

Good luck Christy and let us know how things work out.

Taz

We had a boxer who was the greatest with kids...but if there was a dogfight within 100 miles he'd be in the middle of it.

Best thing we found to do is peroxide, then Mycitracin (new name since Johnson & Johnson bought them out is under the "Band-Aid" brand, can't think of what it is). If you can find the owners of the other mutt, make sure their shots are up to date!

Christy

b*tch rocket
Yeah, the neighbors dogs are all up on shots, as well as my fat dog.

It's half my fault they got into it. Normally they just sit and bark at each other, but I believe my dog got brave when I was walking over to grab him. He ran over to the other dog and tried to play killer. :rolleyes:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Christy

I've irrigated it with peroxide.
Good move. Since he's already on antiboitics, put a little neosporin on the wounds and cover them if you can. If redness with swelling persists then see the vet. Make sure the other dog has been kept up in their shots.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Your dog should be okay then. Just keep an eye on it and keep us posted.

Athena1078

Social Director
If he starts to try to chew at it, it could be a sign of infections, keep Neosporin on it, and if he still chews after the nasty taste gets to him, get the big white satelite dish collar for him so he can't reach them

tater

Pal got into a fight? He's in no shape to be fighting? Poor thing. Hope he's alright. Give him a bowl of hottub water and I'm sure he'll be fine. :wink:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Christy, you did the right thing. Irrigate with peroxide and fill the hole with neosporin. Watch the wound closely because puncture wounds can quickly abscess. The wound appears to heal over but under the initial layer of skin the infection can build.

Pal went after the other dog when you approached most probably because of his possessiveness of you.

Hope the chubby guy is okay.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Christy, don't cover puncture wounds. They need to drain. Neosporin is good but Silvadine (sp?) cream is better. Make sure he's getting lots of water. A well hydrated dog heals better and suprisingly a lot of fluid is lost during a dog fight.

Personally knowing Fat Boy you may want to consider having him put on Anapryl (sp?) (doggie Prozac) or doggie Zoloft (can't remeber the name for it for dogs) but in some dogs it's very effective in taking an agressive edge off. My parents had our Min Pin put on Anapryl when he started getting grumpy and territorial. When I was in high school no one could touch me without having to deal with the possesiveness of our 12 pound dog. Cat is right; you being there probably intensified the entire thing.