Rabbit neutering

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Does anyone know the best and/or cheapest place to get a rabbit neutered around here? I've called a few places and the cheapest I've heard is 60-70 bucks! I don't want to get him neutered because I'm worried about little bunnies. He's an inside bunny and he's very avid about marking his territory, even while he's in the cage! He sprays EVERYWHERE. I'm thinking I should break down and get him a place to stay outside, but now winter's coming and I would feel horrible leaving him out there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
There's a vet in Bowie. I believe his name is Stunkard. Don't think he's very cheap, but rabbit care isn't cheap because they are out of the ordinary for most vets. I know you should have females spayed because they get cancer or infections of the uterus. Not sure about the males. I know there's a lady in Solomons that does (or at least she did a few years ago) rabbit rescue...maybe she could help you. Her name is Carol (I think) Van Wei. You can probably reach her through the Calvert Humane Society.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by BullDawg
#6 shot - 25 cents
Yeah, but as it is already inside you're leaving out the cost to fix the carpet, cleaning up the blood, and the sheet rock and wood damage. $550.00 at least.

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
You guys make a good point-- I'm close to frying him up myself. He's SUPPOSED to be litter trained... I guess males of all species have a hard time hitting the target?
:lol:

Originally posted by Ken King
Yeah, but as it is already inside you're leaving out the cost to fix the carpet, cleaning up the blood, and the sheet rock and wood damage. $550.00 at least.
You could always do it the way my buddy used to do it. Grab the bunny by the shoulders, hold the ears outta the way, place it on a wooden cutting board and shoot it in the head w/ a pellet pistol execution style. No fuss, no muss, no noise. Or, hold it by the hind legs, take it outside and bash its head with a full force swing against the nearest tree.

Originally posted by cariblue
You're a real piece of work.
???? :confused::shrug:
They asked for neutering advice. Got "joking" just kill it responses. "Admitted" they were thinking about it. So I gave them tried and true methods. Only way I have ever killed a rabbit (on purpose) is by shooting it with a shotgun while rabbit hunting.

spinner

We had two rabbits neutered and personally I wouldn't do it again. It wasn't cheap and both of them ended up with back problems that they didn't have before the surgery, we ended up putting both of them down. I suspect they had the back problems because the were English Lops with large bodies and long backs.
We have had rabbits for many years. They do fine outside all winter. Just make sure they are out of the wind and don't get wet. It helps to have an extra water bottle since they freeze quickly. If you are going to want him outside start now putting him out during the day to get used to it and leave him for longer and longer periods. The worst thing you can do is to get him used to being outside and then feel sorry for him this winter and bring him in the house. You'll have to keep in until the weather warms up them or you will have one sick bunny.

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
Originally posted by renegadeslave
Does anyone know the best and/or cheapest place to get a rabbit neutered around here? I've called a few places and the cheapest I've heard is 60-70 bucks! I don't want to get him neutered because I'm worried about little bunnies. He's an inside bunny and he's very avid about marking his territory, even while he's in the cage! He sprays EVERYWHERE. I'm thinking I should break down and get him a place to stay outside, but now winter's coming and I would feel horrible leaving him out there.

60-70 bucks! Sounds liks a deal... I think we paid about $150 nine years ago for our furry friend (netherland dwarf).

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Nothing worse than an Easter Bunny pizzed off about being neutered. Those won't be eggs in your Easter basket, those will be rabbit turds.

Originally posted by renegadeslave

I had my males neutered, (or "fixed' as many rabbit people like to say), at Three Notch Veterinary Hospital. As I remember, it cost me under a $100 per rabbit. (I had a large herd.)
The females cost a lot more. Males can have problems if not neutered but this will NOT take care of the spraying or other behavior. If he's doing this, it's too late in the game. He will settle down but he will not stop.
Most of my bunnies "flick". I have had them in the house and out of doors. They all scent the area and chin to mark turf. Even though they are herd animals, they are territorial. He may be reacting to changes in his environment. If things get moved around a lot, he feels the need to investigate and mark things all over again.

As for killing, I'm a civilized man. I hire others to do my killing for me! :) Only from the most reputable firms, of course!!