DOD Ends Sale of Expended Military Brass..........

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
DOD Ends Sale of Expended Military Brass to Remanufacturers

"AND SO IT BEGINS...
We all wondered when it was going to start.

When the new administration would make their move against us as gun owners. Oh, everyone got upset about HR45--I'll bet I got over 100 e-mails warning me about this draconian gun registration bill that had been introduced in Congress."

"Now it has come clear...now we know what they intend to do."

"Nope. All they have to do is limit the amount of ammunition available to the civilian market, and when bullets dry up, guns will be useless."

"Think we jest?

Here are copies of two letters sent to Georgia Arms just Thursday evening--effectively cancelling a contract he had to purchase 30,000 pounds of expended military brass in .223, 7.62mm, and .50 caliber:

Dear Valued Customer:
Please take a moment to note important changes set forth by the Defense Logistics Agency:

Recently it has been determined that fired munitions of all calibers, shapes and sizes have been designated to be Demil code B. As a result and in conjunction with DLA's current Demil code B policy, this notice will serve as official notification which requires Scrap Venture (SV) to implement mutilation as a condition of sale for all sales of fired munitions effective immediately. This notice also requires SV to immediately cease delivery of any fired munitions that have been recently sold or on active term contracts, unless the material has been mutilated prior to sale or SV personnel can attest to the mutilation after delivery. A certificate of destruction is required in either case.

Thank you,
DOD Surplus
15051 N Kierland Blvd # 300
Scottsdale, AZ 85254"

More at: The Shootist: DOD Ends Sale of Expended Military Brass to Remanufacturers

Last edited:

Pushrod

Patriot
Georgia Arms already have up on their website that they will be unable to fulfill any more purchases for common ammunition types due to this.
What really sucks is that we, as tax payers, pay for this ammunition that the government uses and should get the most bang for our buck. Selling it to reloading companies recoups way more of the cost then selling the brass as scrap metal.

CharlieBravo

Demil Code B does not require mutilation unless sold outside the USA. U.S. manufacturers and reloaders shouldn't be affected.

It sounds like more of 'the sky is falling' news to push up the price of ammo. IMHO, I think that more research and verification is required.

I didn't see anything on the Georgia Arms website other than "Due to a huge increase in demand, our shipping times have been delayed 5-7 weeks on all orders."

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi

Attachments

• demil.jpg
    demil.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 99

Dukesdad

Dear Loyal Customers,

Thanks to your voice, DOD has rescinded the order to mutilate all spent cases as of 4:30 pm on 3/17/09. We appreciate the time and effort that you expended, together we all made a difference. We will be posting the email we received from DOD as well as any additional information within the next 12-16 hours. Thanks so much and lets get to work!!! Georgia Arms

Continue to Homepage

Pushrod

Patriot
Demil Code B does not require mutilation unless sold outside the USA. U.S. manufacturers and reloaders shouldn't be affected.

It sounds like more of 'the sky is falling' news to push up the price of ammo. IMHO, I think that more research and verification is required.

I didn't see anything on the Georgia Arms website other than "Due to a huge increase in demand, our shipping times have been delayed 5-7 weeks on all orders."

You need to look again. Dear Loyal Customers It has been up all week.

But I do agree with you that there is probably more to this story. Still, if the military can get more money by selling as brass for reloading then for scrap, we should demand that is what is to be done.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Dear Loyal Customers,

Thanks to your voice, DOD has rescinded the order to mutilate all spent cases as of 4:30 pm on 3/17/09. We appreciate the time and effort that you expended, together we all made a difference. We will be posting the email we received from DOD as well as any additional information within the next 12-16 hours. Thanks so much and lets get to work!!! Georgia Arms

Continue to Homepage

Heard this last night on Cam & Company (A 2nd Amendment radio show). Right before they went on the air Cam received an email from NRA-ILA with the order from DoD rescinding the original mutilation order.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Here are some up for sale in the U.S which requires mutilation.
Government Liquidation

HOLY CRAP.. 37 THOUSAND pounds of expended brass for $150??

Think it would be worth a LOT more than that if you sold it a metal yard.

I do have DRMO story to tell:

Ft Meade I'm looking for a truck.. Guy comes up all proud.. he just paid $500 for a shelter on a trailer and the trailer had 8 BRAND new tires on it, plus a spare. He HAD to show me. Yep, he's right. Crappy old shelter bolted to an 18 wheeler trailer.. yep,, tires were brand new still had the nubs on them..

Asked him to take a closer look.. and he told me the story.. shelter was going to go to a Rod and Gun club near home.. HUGE shelter.. and he'd strip the tires off and sell them..

Told him again.. look a little closer.. so he looks at the sidewalls of the tires.. size.. etc.. "What's so special about em??"

"The tires? Not a thing, they're just tires.. but your shelter is sitting on a brand new 18 wheel flat bed trailer!!"

He just paid $500 for a $30,000 or more trailer, and didn't even realize it.

Apparently whatever military unit had the shelter wanted to DRMO it, bought a trailer to put it on to turn it in, and they auctioned it off as is, bolted to the brand new trailer.

Yeah, he was a happy camper after I showed him that..