Giving public land away?

bcp

In My Opinion

I cant find anything on the net yet with a complete explanation of this,
am I to understand that somehow obama has come under the impression that he now personally owns public land?
Is he really building a house on the National Mall for someone to live in? on the mall?
or is this home going to be built then shipped in pieces to some other location. and who is paying for this? are the taxpayers funding a free house for one of his pets?

This type of crap needs to be stopped now before he gets the idea to build a section 8 community in the middle of one of our national parks.

I cant find anything on the net yet with a complete explanation of this,
am I to understand that somehow obama has come under the impression that he now personally owns public land?
Is he really building a house on the National Mall for someone to live in? on the mall?
or is this home going to be built then shipped in pieces to some other location. and who is paying for this? are the taxpayers funding a free house for one of his pets?

This type of crap needs to be stopped now before he gets the idea to build a section 8 community in the middle of one of our national parks.

WASHINGTON, D.C - A Texas family that lost their home to a hurricane is the beneficiary of First Lady Michelle Obama's latest push to promote community activism. On Tuesday, Mrs. Obama rolled her sleeves alongside dozens of young leaders to help build them a new, green home on the National Mall.

Beta84

They're out to get us
:roflmao: gotta hand it to fox for the great verbiage...that crap is confusing.

it appears that they got a group of people together and literally built part of the home (walls? ceiling? i don't know) on the national mall, to be shipped to the family in texas and put together there. Why it's not being done in texas, I don't know...sounds like an expensive way to do a habitat for humanity project though.

Is "community activism" bad? Perhaps nobody should volunteer. I don't see the problem with volunteering to help the needy, though :shrug:

bcp

In My Opinion
:roflmao: gotta hand it to fox for the great verbiage...that crap is confusing.

it appears that they got a group of people together and literally built part of the home (walls? ceiling? i don't know) on the national mall, to be shipped to the family in texas and put together there. Why it's not being done in texas, I don't know...sounds like an expensive way to do a habitat for humanity project though.

Is "community activism" bad? Perhaps nobody should volunteer. I don't see the problem with volunteering to help the needy, though :shrug:
when the money comes from individuals contributing from their own bank accounts, its perfectly ok.
when the money comes from the public tax dollar, then it is not ok.

bcp

In My Opinion
I am curious though, could you post the link that states the home is going to be shipped somewhere else? so far, everything I find makes it look like its being built on the mall to be lived in on the mall.

Beta84

They're out to get us
when the money comes from individuals contributing from their own bank accounts, its perfectly ok.
when the money comes from the public tax dollar, then it is not ok.

agreed, but do we know where the money came from? i didn't see any information about that.

bcp

In My Opinion
nope, didnt see anything about that either, so I would like to know the answer to that one too.

really starting to love this transparency in government that we now have.

Beta84

They're out to get us
I am curious though, could you post the link that states the home is going to be shipped somewhere else? so far, everything I find makes it look like its being built on the mall to be lived in on the mall.

Ok...google search...shoot, the stuff i'm reading from the google search said she's merely VISITING a group called "Youth Build"

Michelle Obama Promotes National Service, Visits With YouthBuild

Michelle Obama Promotes Green Building, Community Service on National Mall : Green Building Elements (NOTE: This article mentions funding..."YouthBuild, which is shifting its contruction focus toward green building, will receive $50 million from the American Recovery and Reconstruction Act")

Michelle Obama highlights national service at youth homebuilding project on Mall -- chicagotribune.com (This article mentions that YouthBuild is funded by the Department of Labor and has been for some time...but Obama plans to vastly expand the program)

I'll add more articles if I see anything useful...but until you see someone that says "Holy crap there is a home on the National Mall with people living in it!" then I'd assume that them actually providing land there is a ludicrous thought.

Last edited:

Jam4eva

Aw darn. I guess you'll have to create something else to be up in arms about. LOL. The first lady hammers a nail and all of a sudden your tax dollars are buying people houses or LMMFAO housing the homeless on the National Mall. I'm not too fond of the new administration either, but I'll bet there's some actual things going on to be concerned about.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Aw darn. I guess you'll have to create something else to be up in arms about. LOL. The first lady hammers a nail and all of a sudden your tax dollars are buying people houses or LMMFAO housing the homeless on the National Mall. I'm not too fond of the new administration either, but I'll bet there's some actual things going on to be concerned about.

You don't have to be so snotty. bcp is usually a fun loving silly kinda guy on here, and I always click when I see he has made a post because he usually has me laughing.

For him to post this had him genuinely concerned.

bcp

In My Opinion
clogging up the mall with section 8 housing is wrong.
its also wrong to use it as a construction site.

if they want to build a house, then build it with donated funds on site. Cant see any problem with that.

Jam4eva

And if they want to display an AIDS quilt, they should display it somewhere else; if they want to promote reading, they should do it somewhere else; if they want to have a dream, they should have it somewhere else. Hell, maybe people should jog somewhere else too. By God this is public land and shouldn't be used for anything that promotes the public good.
nachomama, you're right; he's hilarious.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
I could be wrong, but I think I remember a couple years ago on the mall they were having some kind of competition amongst colleges throughout the nation, where they were building "green" houses or something. Not huge houses, but I remember walking through there, and it was pretty cool.

There's always something going on on the mall. :shrug:

bcp

In My Opinion
And if they want to display an AIDS quilt, they should display it somewhere else; if they want to promote reading, they should do it somewhere else; if they want to have a dream, they should have it somewhere else. Hell, maybe people should jog somewhere else too. By God this is public land and shouldn't be used for anything that promotes the public good.
nachomama, you're right; he's hilarious.
if you cant see the difference between using the land to build a house, and to hold a one day public event, then I fear you may have been smoking the same substance that obama has.

public land should not be used for the good of 1. not for me, not for you and not for some welfare queen down south.

bcp

In My Opinion
I could be wrong, but I think I remember a couple years ago on the mall they were having some kind of competition amongst colleges throughout the nation, where they were building "green" houses or something. Not huge houses, but I remember walking through there, and it was pretty cool.

There's always something going on on the mall. :shrug:
that would be cool, but that also would not be for the benefit of just one person.

next time I need some work done on one of my cars, maybe Ill just pull up on the mall and start turning wrenches. Certainly would be just as valid as puttng a few alternative energy cars on the land for display.

besides, the original question was if they actually planned on leaving the building there, I still have not found an answer to that.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
that would be cool, but that also would not be for the benefit of just one person.

next time I need some work done on one of my cars, maybe Ill just pull up on the mall and start turning wrenches. Certainly would be just as valid as puttng a few alternative energy cars on the land for display.

besides, the original question was if they actually planned on leaving the building there, I still have not found an answer to that.

OMG! I got it! When you get that new air horn, take the truck up there and install it! :clap:

Beta84

They're out to get us
clogging up the mall with section 8 housing is wrong.
its also wrong to use it as a construction site.

if they want to build a house, then build it with donated funds on site. Cant see any problem with that.

:roflmao: if they ever turned the mall into section 8 housing, there'd be a revolution. the thought of that is friggin hilarious tho. :killingme

i don't mind activities on the mall, it's a beautiful area. but there are limits to what should and shouldn't be done there I guess