An Addition To Michelle Obama's White House Garden

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
An Addition To Michelle Obama's White House Garden: Honey Bees - thedailygreen.com

"From the perspective of probably every beekeeper in the U.S., the first day of spring, 2009, should be one of the most memorable in decades. It was on that day that Michelle Obama announced that not only would there be a garden on the White House lawn, the first since FDR was in office, but there would be, yes BEE HIVES!

The chefs at the white house are looking forward to cooking with locally grown fresh vegetables (and sharing what they can’t use with the local food banks), and being able to use honey in some of their recipes. Honey produced right outside their kitchen door.

Mrs Obama readied the garden plot on the first day of spring with the help of a couple dozen local fifth graders. They worked to remove the sod and loosen the soil in preparation of planting of the spring crops. The L-shaped plot will contain year-round vegetables once completely established, with vegetables, berries and other tasty edibles. All will be raised organically.

To complete the garden, two bee hives will be moved in early this week. They belong to a White House employee who is a beekeeper and lives nearby. The hives belong to the beekeeper.

We found out that the beekeeper was a subscriber to our magazine, so we had a contact and were fortunate to have a phone conversation late last week. But, of course, there has to be some preparation for all this, so everything we discussed had to remain off the record. He is, however, a three year veteran beekeeper and had a strong desire to keep bees and beekeeping in front of the folks who live here, and to keep reminding them of the importance of the pollination efforts their bees will be performing.

As far as we can tell, there’s never been a bee hive at the White House, so this first-ever apiary event is something that beekeepers everywhere are excited about. The calls and contacts received in our office once this broke exceeded any event in the past 23 years.

This is a big deal, and we’ll have more next week.

An organic garden and beehives at the White House ... it doesn’t get much better, does it?"

bcp

In My Opinion
look at the bright side.
maybe hussien will discover that he is extremely allergic to bee stings.

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
I think she will make a lovely First Lady.:yay: Smart move on her part.:yay:

You gotta figure, even if BHO tanks the presidency, she can make her time as FL something to remember. I think the last three we had were :boo: I really liked Nancy Reagan.

Good on her.:clap:

bcp

In My Opinion
I think she will make a lovely First Lady.:yay: Smart move on her part.:yay:

You gotta figure, even if BHO tanks the presidency, she can make her time as FL something to remember. I think the last three we had were :boo: I really liked Nancy Reagan.

Good on her.:clap:
You use the word lovely in a different meaning than looks I assume, because, well basically, she reminds me of Aunt Ester from the old Sanford and Son TV show. All shes missing is her Bible.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is a big deal, and we’ll have more next week.

An organic garden and beehives at the White House ... it doesn’t get much better, does it?"

That is ridiculous.

Or maybe 'Bama is preparing for when he shuts down our food supply and puts all the farmers out of business?

bcp

In My Opinion
That is ridiculous.

Or maybe 'Bama is preparing for when he shuts down our food supply and puts all the farmers out of business?
I think he is just trying to get the peasents used to serving their lord and master.
break them in easy and they wont see it coming.

Pete

Repete
That is ridiculous.

Wait until they find out they are union bees. They only work 8 hours, require a high dollar benefits package, wont do anything that is not specifically spelled out in their job description, non-buzzers cannot be fired, and the honey with price supports costs $30K a gallon.