DJIA predictions?

It goes above 8,000.

I'm seriously believing the shorts are doing a lot of selling and the sheep are doing a lot of buying.

:popcorn:

There is no doubt a lot of shorting going on - there usually will be when you get this deep into a rally that's moved the market this quickly. This is especially true of the stocks that have seen the big moves - GE, AIG, the bank stocks, etc.

Frankly, I'm about ready to see a pull back - I've shortened my long term positions enough that I'd love the opportunity to pick up a little more value.

But, having continued the rally into the face of significant shorting, is actually a bullish sign for the intermediate term (but not necessarily the immediate term). If the rally withstood a significant amount of short pressure (i.e. 'artificial' bearish pressure), and kept its legs - then it has built up an amount of 'artificial' bullish pressure, which will eventually have to be realized.

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
There is no doubt a lot of shorting going on - there usually will be when you get this deep into a rally that's moved the market this quickly. This is especially true of the stocks that have seen the big moves - GE, AIG, the bank stocks, etc.

Frankly, I'm about ready to see a pull back - I've shortened my long term positions enough that I'd love the opportunity to pick up a little more value.

But, having continued the rally into the face of significant shorting, is actually a bullish sign for the intermediate term (but not necessarily the immediate term). If the rally withstood a significant amount of short pressure (i.e. 'artificial' bearish pressure), and kept its legs - then it has built up an amount of 'artificial' bullish pressure, which will eventually have to be realized.

It's been interesting how all the big food names are getting pounded, Kraft, General Mills, Smucker, Heinz, pretty much everything across the board. When you compare them to the bad things that have came out about BAC and GE etc and then compare the markets reaction, it's quite overblown and by design in my opinion. I've been keeping an eye on them for a good entry point. I'm getting the impression this is the same kind of smack-down they did on the insurance companies.

:coffee:

It's been interesting how all the big food names are getting pounded, Kraft, General Mills, Smucker, Heinz, pretty much everything across the board. When you compare them to the bad things that have came out about BAC and GE etc and then compare the markets reaction, it's quite overblown and by design in my opinion. I've been keeping an eye on them for a good entry point. I'm getting the impression this is the same kind of smack-down they did on the insurance companies.

:coffee:

I would expect that is mostly a natural result of rotation. If people are investing money into other sectors, that money has to come from somewhere. Some comes from the 'sidelines' and some comes from equity in other sectors. Those defensive names, that you spoke of, almost certainly had seen higher relative investment levels. So, when people decide to be less defensive and more aggressive, those names are going to see money rotating out of them, in relative terms.

Pete

Repete
My son's great grandad who was very adept at stocks said "when things get tough economically but Campbells soup. No matter how poor people buy soup.

My son's great grandad who was very adept at stocks said "when things get tough economically but Campbells soup. No matter how poor people buy soup.

Yeah, that's why the big food stocks are considered defensive plays - generally speaking, the last thing people cut out of their budget is food.

I just wish I'd bought Smith and Wesson or Ruger stock back in Nov.

There were a couple of mornings in a row, about a month ago, when the internal NYSE numbers showed one stock making a new high, and several hundred making new lows. That one was RGR - Sturm Ruger.

Impressive chart.

file.png

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner.

Unbelievable! I'm utterly amazed that people actually entrust their retirement to these Wall Street clowns.

How about that CNBC crackhead Cramer? Help me out here. For months he's been saying the "great depression" is off the table. Today, he comes out in his little 2 minute, afternoon, drugged out appearance and announces that we've "been in a depression for months, but it's over now." WTF? He's like a liar that doesn't remember the last lie he told. Then he does his show tonight and says "the great depression" is off the table.

:killingme

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Unbelievable! I'm utterly amazed that people actually entrust their retirement to these Wall Street clowns.

Contrary to the narrative coming from the White House since last fall, not all, or even very many, or even hardly any of them at all are clowns in need of adult supervision.