Bluebird feeders?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Anyone know where I can get one by Sunday for a birthday present? I would prefer local to LexPk area (since I'm lazy).

Also, what is special about a bluebird feeder that makes it different from any other bird feeder? Do they prefer a particular color, or a special-sized hole?

tes218

Anyone know where I can get one by Sunday for a birthday present? I would prefer local to LexPk area (since I'm lazy).

Also, what is special about a bluebird feeder that makes it different from any other bird feeder? Do they prefer a particular color, or a special-sized hole?

We got ours at the Wild Bird Center in Waldorf (not local to LexPk) but the people there are very good and can provide the whole setup. Check out the website and the pictures under photo album. They can answer any questions you have. I got my husband the Blue Bird house and set up for Christmas.

Wild Bird Center - Waldorf, MD

itsbob

I bowl overhand

BlueBird feeder is a misnomer in most cases..

usually what people refer to when it comes to bluebirds is nesting boxes.

The state has a supply of do it yourself kits that you can get for free, but I doubt you can get just one, and by Sunday. Usually the Local Game Warden has them..

I'm sure Lowes has them.. or WalMart.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I found them online from $23 to $300, how much do you want to spend, and how many do you want??

Toxick

Splat
:offtopic:

It's finally happened.

It only took me 6 years, but I have read every single post that's been posted on the fourms since I been here. (Except for ones that have been deleted that I missed, and ones in forums which I'm not allowed in). It took some serious catching up, and I could only do it during my spare times, but I'm completely caught up.

It was also hard going through threads in forums that I couldn't care less about. Like horses or the Ladies Room.

Now... need to start back-tracking through all the threads that were posted before I got here.

Didn't want to hi-jack this tread, but this is the one where I caught up.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
So, is a bluebird FEEDER different than a bluebird HOUSE? My sister said explicitly that she wanted a bluebird feeder, and within reason, I'm very willing to get it for her.

Cowgirl

So, is a bluebird FEEDER different than a bluebird HOUSE? My sister said explicitly that she wanted a bluebird feeder, and within reason, I'm very willing to get it for her.

I've not heard of a bluebird feeder. :shrug:

O

ohsnoes

I am not aware that there are feeders specifically for bluebirds. Southern States in Mechanicsville has bluebird boxes for $12.99.

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
Simple or fancy?

Wait, if you want a feeder blue birds will eat from a simple one.. Lowe's has a really nice ceder one for 40 bucks.

Last edited:
T

toppick08

I am not aware that there are feeders specifically for bluebirds. Southern States in Mechanicsville has bluebird boxes for $12.99.

:yay:
Put them on the eastern horizon.

Bluebirds love mealworms.

jetmonkey

They sell little blue dishes that attach to shepherd hooks for mealworms, there is also a mealworm house style feeder where the holes to get in are sized for bluebirds, I've also seen a round feeder for mealworms.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

I'm guessing she meant a bluebird box.

And what is so special about them, bluebirds don't freak out to the smell of humans.. Bluebird nesting boxes open up so you can see into their nests (well, most of them do anyways).. you can keep track of baby bluebird.. or when the eggs are getting ready to hatch,, and the parents won't abandon the nest.

End of nesting you reach in, clean out the nest for the next nesting pair. The next pair won't use the same nest.

(This all from memory from being a cub scout leader when we had fish and game come in, give us a presentation, and provide us with boxes)

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
They sell little blue dishes that attach to shepherd hooks for mealworms, there is also a mealworm house style feeder where the holes to get in are sized for bluebirds, I've also seen a round feeder for mealworms.
Thanks! Now I know what to look for in my travels.

As odd as this sounds, another sister bought the birthday girl all kinds of worms for the bluebirds: frozen, canned, fresh, covered in chocolate, etc....... :lol: lol

O

ohsnoes

Simple or fancy?

Wait, if you want a feeder blue birds will eat from a simple one.. Lowe's has a really nice ceder one for 40 bucks.

Simple I guess. They look like the overpriced ones to me. The bluebirds don't know between a $12.99 one and a $300.00 one. If they do well then I guess you'll have the ghetto bluebirds living in the $12.99 ones :howdy:

jetmonkey

Thanks! Now I know what to look for in my travels.

As odd as this sounds, another sister bought the birthday girl all kinds of worms for the bluebirds: frozen, canned, fresh, covered in chocolate, etc....... :lol: lol

I think Wild Bird center has all three kinds. They are expensive, but you need to do your part to stimulate the economy.