Snake Identification

glitch

Devil's Advocate
Can anyone identify this snake? I know it's non-venomous, I just need to know how to take care of it properly. It's been 'adopted'. I'm thinking it's one of the various species of rat snakes but I'm not at all positive because the markings are so light.

Attachments

• snake.JPG
    snake.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 385

jetmonkey

Can anyone identify this snake? I know it's non-venomous, I just need to know how to take care of it properly. It's been 'adopted'. I'm thinking it's one of the various species of rat snakes but I'm not at all positive because the markings are so light.

Release it.

glitch

Devil's Advocate
Unfortunately, releasing the snake is not up to me. If it were, I would have never removed the snake from its environment. However, since I know the snake will be staying for a while, possibly permanently, I'd like to do my best to make sure it survives. That's why I'd like to know what type of snake it is so I can begin the search for food as soon as possible. From what I've read on the net juvenile snakes can eat once every 5-7days. I'd like to have something to feed it in hand before a week's out. I've given it a shelter, water source, newspaper to crawl on, and a branch for 'exercise'. Doing the best I can with an imperfect situation.

Cowgirl

Unfortunately, releasing the snake is not up to me. If it were, I would have never removed the snake from its environment. However, since I know the snake will be staying for a while, possibly permanently, I'd like to do my best to make sure it survives. That's why I'd like to know what type of snake it is so I can begin the search for food as soon as possible. From what I've read on the net juvenile snakes can eat once every 5-7days. I'd like to have something to feed it in hand before a week's out. I've given it a shelter, water source, newspaper to crawl on, and a branch for 'exercise'. Doing the best I can with an imperfect situation.

Are you in St. Mary's? Why don't you go talk to Corner Critters and get some information from them. Is someone else insisting on keeping the snake? Maybe that person should do some research. :rolleyes:

jetmonkey

I have no idea what kind of snake it is but I would recommend offering heat from above, not below, and make sure that he can't get nose rub trying to escape. Keep fresh water available. Also post a better picture, feature the body.

glitch

Devil's Advocate
Are you in St. Mary's? Why don't you go talk to Corner Critters and get some information from them. Is someone else insisting on keeping the snake? Maybe that person should do some research. :rolleyes:

Where are they located? I could drag the picture with me and see what they say.

glitch

Devil's Advocate
I have no idea what kind of snake it is but I would recommend offering heat from above, not below, and make sure that he can't get nose rub trying to escape. Keep fresh water available. Also post a better picture, feature the body.

I'll try to get a better picture but it's very shy, always coils whenever someone comes around. Almost like it knows I'm trying to take a picture.

glitch

Devil's Advocate
The coloring does look similar but the tail isn't yellow, which copperhead's typically are. Also, the pupils are round, not slits. From what I've read on the net that means non-venomous. The picture doesn't show it but it's also very long and thin, not short and fat like copperheads tend to be.

BTW, you might want to share this information with whomever is deciding to keep this snake.

Protection Efforts
All native snakes in Maryland are protected by the Nongame and Endangered Species Conservation Act. This means that native snakes cannot be killed, possessed, bred, or sold without first acquiring the proper permit from the Department of Natural Resources. Additionally, Maryland requires a Captive Reptile and Amphibian Permit for the possession, breeding, and sale of native reptiles and amphibians in the state.

Remember, snakes are a part of our natural world and should be left there unharmed. They are fascinating creatures worthy of our respect and admiration. Please enjoy and help protect Maryland’s snakes and their habitats!

Checklist of the Snakes in Maryland

Common

Black Rat Snake (Elaphe obsoleta obsoleta)

Eastern Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis)

Eastern Hognose Snake (Heterodon platyrhinos)

Eastern Kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula getula)

Eastern Milk Snake (Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum)

Eastern Ribbon Snake (Thamnophis sauritus sauritus)

Eastern Worm Snake (Carphophis amoenus amoenus)

Northern Black Racer (Coluber constrictor constrictor)

Northern Brown Snake (Storeria dekayi dekayi)

Northern Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen)

Northern Ringneck Snake (Diadophis punctatus edwardsi)

Northern Water Snake (Nerodia sipedon sipedon)

Rough Green Snake (Opheodrys aestivus)

Smooth Green Snake (Opheodrys vernalis vernalis)

Southern Ringneck Snake (Diadophis punctatus punctatus)

Last edited: