PAX getting ready for budget cuts?

foodcritic

In typical Carter fashion, the new admin is going to try to save what's left of the budget by cutting back on the essential obstacle protecting American freedom....the military.

Change is coming....:whistle:

Levin: Expect Huge, Painful Cuts in Defense Budget

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:03 PM

Article Font Size

WASHINGTON -- A Senate defense committee chairman says Pentagon budget will include large, painful cuts. Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin said Tuesday that major program cuts will not be pushed off until the 2011 budget, but will be included when Defense Secretary Robert Gates sends his spending plan to the president later this month.

Levin's comments confirmed what many contractors and military leaders have expected, but he offered no details on which programs may be axed. He said Pentagon officials have indicated they will not be able to submit the much-anticipated spending plan by April 21, as initially hoped.

The Michigan Democrat also told reporters at a breakfast meeting that he is reserving judgment on whether the multi-billion-dollar contract for replacement of the Air Force's aging refueling tankers should go to one company or be split between two rival bidders. Other key lawmakers have suggested a split.

The Air Force selected Northrop Grumman/EADS over competitor Boeing Co. for the aerial tanker project last year, but reopened the bidding after the Government Accounting Office found flaws with the decision.

Newsmax.com - Levin: Expect Huge, Painful Cuts in Defense Budget

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Once again there is not one word involving PAX in that story. WE all know cuts are coming its just a matter of where they are going to come from. Every station is at risk, its just not going to help when Obama lays off half the contractor force and throws the country even further into the coming depression.

Once again there is not one word involving PAX in that story. WE all know cuts are coming its just a matter of where they are going to come from. Every station is at risk, its just not going to help when Obama lays off half the contractor force and throws the country even further into the coming depression.

COMING depression? Got news for ya': WE IS THERE!!!

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
In typical Carter fashion, the new admin is going to try to save what's left of the budget by cutting back on the essential obstacle protecting American freedom....the military.

Change is coming....:whistle:

Levin: Expect Huge, Painful Cuts in Defense Budget

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:03 PM

Article Font Size

WASHINGTON -- A Senate defense committee chairman says Pentagon budget will include large, painful cuts. Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin said Tuesday that major program cuts will not be pushed off until the 2011 budget, but will be included when Defense Secretary Robert Gates sends his spending plan to the president later this month.

Levin's comments confirmed what many contractors and military leaders have expected, but he offered no details on which programs may be axed. He said Pentagon officials have indicated they will not be able to submit the much-anticipated spending plan by April 21, as initially hoped.

The Michigan Democrat also told reporters at a breakfast meeting that he is reserving judgment on whether the multi-billion-dollar contract for replacement of the Air Force's aging refueling tankers should go to one company or be split between two rival bidders. Other key lawmakers have suggested a split.

The Air Force selected Northrop Grumman/EADS over competitor Boeing Co. for the aerial tanker project last year, but reopened the bidding after the Government Accounting Office found flaws with the decision.

Newsmax.com - Levin: Expect Huge, Painful Cuts in Defense Budget

We know you post this dribble and try to throw PAX under the bus solely for the purpose of bashing Obama, but the truth is more cops have been laid off than defense related government workers so far. But take heart, the Messiah's work won't be done until you're gone too.

Layoff Daily

:popcorn:

Last edited:

vince77

I would expect a third of the people working at PAX to be let go.....big defense budget cuts coming

foodcritic

So some secret info you hiding. I pray to god you are wrong.

I hope it's wrong also...but heed the words of the democrats(they loathe the military)

They are saying it's going to be painful.....

Has nothing to do with "throwing" PAX under the bus...Liberal Democrats are going to do that work...

Welcome to Obama land...Change you can believe in. Ask William Ayers. :whistle:

CrashTest

1 - Things will be so bad that the Dems will be out in 4 years and the military budget is restored before it even gets cut.

-or-

2 - Things will be so good that the Dems stay and the folks who loose their jobs at PAX will be able to find jobs elsewhere.

Sounds like a win/win.

frogman123

If employment is such an issue, why would he intentially put people out of jobs? We are strapped already where I work and anymore budget cuts would be very very bad if they trickle down to my office... I had heard before/when he was going into office that he wanted to cut 500M? 5B (sorry, I forget) from R&D. That would be a problem because we are a test base- rdt&e is a big part of pax...

onebdzee

off the shelf
If the Pentagon wants to cut cost somewhere....they should start with the "decorating fund"

When ever the "higher-ups" get a wild hair up their ass and decide that they just don't like the color of a chair in their office, the entire room gets re-upholstered....everything that is fabric is taken apart and put back together in a differnent color....the material alone runs up in the $100's per yard range....and I'm sure that the company that does this, isn't cheap either

jetmonkey

I expect everyone in the United States to be unemployed in six months. Except Democratic politicians. They will be enshrined as royalty.

Pete

Repete
If the Pentagon wants to cut cost somewhere....they should start with the "decorating fund"

When ever the "higher-ups" get a wild hair up their ass and decide that they just don't like the color of a chair in their office, the entire room gets re-upholstered....everything that is fabric is taken apart and put back together in a differnent color....the material alone runs up in the $100's per yard range....and I'm sure that the company that does this, isn't cheap either

:confused:

lisa8439

IMO, it's the people who work for the independent contractors that do work for the government who should be worried. Actual government employees are pretty safe.

PAX is probably one of the most productive military bases in the US - I have no doubt there will be a few changes there, but I don't think there is any need for people who work there to worry about losing their jobs... :coffee:

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
Man, what a bunch of dribble!!!! And I didn't realize how much anti-democrat or anti-obama is on this forum until now. Oh well, it doesn't matter. Obama (a democrat) is elected... live with it!

I would have voted for a cactus before I would have voted for 4 more years of GOP turmoil. I am registered Independant and will remain that way, but the American voters should start to realize that the two party system is not working and hasn't worked for decades! Maybe it is time for America to wake up and see that there ARE other choices out there. They just need to stop listening to their CNN, Fox, and the other major media networks for your political news and elections.

I still believe to this day the best choice of all Presidential candidates would have been Ron Paul. But this sorry bunch of brain-dead Americans can't see past their stupid and ridiculous color! Like the GOP or the Democrats really care about YOU! Ha! Then only care to listen when it comes time for elections!

If Ron Paul was elected, the Federal Reserve and Wall Street would be out on the street, not main street workers. The IRS and tax code would be overhauled and K-street would be a ghost town! Those are the main financial problems we have! The Federal Reserve is an illegal corporation that STOLE all of our REAL gold over the years. The are the ones that control the interest rates and printing of money. They are pure evil!

As far as DoD cuts... everyone knew that was going to happen regardless who got elected! And everyone knew that Obama was/is repealing or reforming many of the Bush policy screw ups (ie. acquisition reform, outsourcing reform, etc). And of course, everyone knew that the first thing that will get hit in a budget crunch would be many of the big weapon systems... This is not new news... if you work in those areas, expect things to get rough! Otherwise, life goes on...

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
You'd never be able to tell with the recent Job fair Pax just held and the next one coming May 17th!!! :coffee:

RoadKill

The issue is that...

... in prior years the cost of prosecuting the war in Iraq and Afgan was supplementary to the military budget. The proposed budget has the cost of those wars in the base budget... So... even though Gates has proposed a 4.5% increase to the exisiting 540 (approx) billion dollar budget, approx 140 billion of that will be dedicated to the war effort. So there is an inherrent cut coming that is not associated with the cuts that the administration is talking about.

There were hearings on the hill the other day with defense planners and the tone of the discussion was sobering. For example...

- The Navy's surface fleet acquisition program is in disarray. Massive cost overruns on vessels that were supposed to be relatively cheap. Congress will cut the acquisition budgets to protect the billets of active duty personnel. No big surface fleet acquisition programs means reduced need for contractor personnel.
- The costs for the carrier's new electromagnetic launch system are 600 million over budget with no guarantee that it will be ready for the next carrier, and if it ain't they will have to retrofit a conventional steam system at a staggering cost and with program slippage of 1 to 3 years.
- There is a recognition FROM THE STRATEGIC PLANNERS that the federal government cannot continue to print money. They are factoring this into their decision making process.
- There is a recognition FROM THE STRATEGIC PLANNERS that the US, with just 5% of the world's population cannot continue to provide more than 50% of the worlds security. The are factoring this into their decision making process.
- There were also questions about why the US military is planning their acquisition strategy on a conflict with China, who is our biggest supplier of goods. I am not qualified to offer an opinion of whether this is a sound strategy or not.

I too see "defense spending" as a jobs program that should not be cut at this time, but I am afraid that so much money is going to be spent on bank bailouts and administration preferred social programs that the US military will be flat out of luck.

For the record, I am not a government weenie or in the defense contractor community. I work for one of the few truly commercial companies, a manufacturer in fact, in St. Mary's County. The company that I work for is hurting... our orders are off big time. IMO we are all fortunate to live in SoMD because the base and related activities have made this area recession proof.

But this could change, and I believe it will change for the worse. I agree with the strategic planning guys that the spending is not sustainable.

A sincere thank-you to all that serve and protect this country in whatever capacity that you do.