The problem with cyber-bullying legislation

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now it's a handy crutch for mentally ill people who really should be locked away in a home.

Some nutty comes on a forum, starts crap to garner negative attention for themselves, flames others and jumps them out of the blue, and in general is completely crazy. They get banned for their behavior, so they accuse the rest of the forum members of "bullying" and threaten suicide. And guess who gets in trouble for it?

Hint: not them, even though they started every bit of trouble they received and even ratcheted up until they got the hostile reaction they were looking for.

So this proposed legislation is a bunch of bull####, and it's a good thing I save all the wacko threads on here in the event I need to use them as a legal defense.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Now it's a handy crutch for mentally ill people who really should be locked away in a home.

Some nutty comes on a forum, starts crap to garner negative attention for themselves, flames others and jumps them out of the blue, and in general is completely crazy. They get banned for their behavior, so they accuse the rest of the forum members of "bullying" and threaten suicide. And guess who gets in trouble for it?

Hint: not them, even though they started every bit of trouble they received and even ratcheted up until they got the hostile reaction they were looking for.

So this proposed legislation is a bunch of bull####, and it's a good thing I save all the wacko threads on here in the event I need to use them as a legal defense.

I was about to say, save everything and you'll have all the defense you need in those types of situations. When people pick fights, they deserve to get slammed. The legislation is ideally geared for people who don't start fights and land on the wrong end of that sort of stuff. Unfortunately, laws these days seem to blame everyone for a fight and not just the one who started it.

So...did Wildcherry threaten to sue for harassment or for being banned? Maybe that's what she meant by bringing the site down :popcorn:

Last edited:
K

Kain99

I by no means am an expert on Cyber Bullying legislation but I do have concerns for Vrai.

She believes that she is immune from legalities in areas like the Fight Club. I'm not so sure that's true.

I sure hope she's had an awesome attorney advise her on these issues since I'm sure these laws are going to pass.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The MPD Relief Act of 2009

So, not only is what one might think subject to government approval, but now what gets typed between otherwise annonymous screen names is subject to government regulation.

"You're honor, my client, BIGnMeety, has been viciously defamed. His self styled belief that he has a big wiener, a fantasy he has EVERY right to, has been not only been accused by the defendant, MegaHobytch, of being inadequate and thereby subjected to public anonymous ridicule, but of also being a lousy speller as well, thereby ruining BIG's chances at landing that great job doing product language quality control for the M & M company...your honor, I ask you..."

puggymom

I have not read the MD laws so I am not sure what they say but I can see where we need anti-cyber bulling laws to protect teens and children. Adults on the other hand need to freaking act like adults and leave a site if they do not like how they are treated. Seriously unless there are serious threats IRL grow up.

Beta84

They're out to get us
I by no means am an expert on Cyber Bullying legislation but I do have concerns for Vrai.

She believes that she is immune from legalities in areas like the Fight Club. I'm not so sure that's true.

I sure hope she's had an awesome attorney advise her on these issues since I'm sure these laws are going to pass.

The entire forum, I'd imagine, is just as culpable in a public area as it is in a private area. In either instance, you're still providing them with the web space to commit the offense. That's the only reason someone would come after the forums owners anyway, not for their lack of moderating.

Speaking of fight club, I heard I got flamed in there again, pictures included. I hope it was at least funny this time :popcorn:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Anyone who is in FC is there voluntarily with the express desire to bully and be bullied. At what point are we released from responsibility in protecting people from themselves?

And this thread is not directed at any member in particular - it's a commentary on how silly cyber-bullying laws are and how they will eventually shut down free speech in favor of the mentally ill who shouldn't be on a forum in the first place.

Beta84

They're out to get us
I have not read the MD laws so I am not sure what they say but I can see where we need anti-cyber bulling laws to protect teens and children. Adults on the other hand need to freaking act like adults and leave a site if they do not like how they are treated. Seriously unless there are serious threats IRL grow up.

There was a post the other day (Sunday?) that discussed some potential legislation in the works. I don't think it's actually been passed though. I followed the link and it said it was discussed back in Feb but I didn't see any future discussions or votes. Might have been nixed without a vote, or maybe they're just slow in bringing up legislation for voting.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
The entire forum, I'd imagine, is just as culpable in a public area as it is in a private area. In either instance, you're still providing them with the web space to commit the offense. That's the only reason someone would come after the forums owners anyway, not for their lack of moderating.

Speaking of fight club, I heard I got flamed in there again, pictures included. I hope it was at least funny this time :popcorn:

I think the key here is "forum owner". Once you pay for a personal forum, you "own" it, and are responsible for what you allow to be posted. Maybe vrai should make it all "personal" forums, w/no public forums, then she won't be responsible for the stupidity of others.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Eliminate screen names. Eliminate the problem.

People hide behind their screen names and say stuff they wouldn't otherwise. Anyone who's been around long tends to become known who they really are anyway. Like me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have not read the MD laws so I am not sure what they say but I can see where we need anti-cyber bulling laws to protect teens and children.

I do not think kids need to be in chat rooms and posting on forums with strangers in the first place. My kids were well into their teens before I unblocked their access to stuff like that. And even then, me and Bebe Mama used to snoop in their account all the time, seeing what they were doing, what they were looking at, etc.

I think if you wouldn't allow your 13 year old into a huge party with a bunch of strangers of all ages, completely unchaperoned, you shouldn't allow them into a forum or chat. It's the same thing.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Anyone who is in FC is there voluntarily with the express desire to bully and be bullied. At what point are we released from responsibility in protecting people from themselves?

And this thread is not directed at any member in particular - it's a commentary on how silly cyber-bullying laws are and how they will eventually shut down free speech in favor of the mentally ill who shouldn't be on a forum in the first place.
That's making the assumption the only people getting flamed in FC are members of FC.

I think the key here is "forum owner". Once you pay for a personal forum, you "own" it, and are responsible for what you allow to be posted. Maybe vrai should make it all "personal" forums, w/no public forums, then she won't be responsible for the stupidity of others.
That's all based on technicalities. Is the "forum owner" the one providing the space, or the one paying chump change to get their "own" forum? That's probably the main concern. We don't know who would be culpable based on the laws and whatnot. There aren't really any solid laws on this anyway.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Eliminate screen names. Eliminate the problem.

People hide behind their screen names and say stuff they wouldn't otherwise. Anyone who's been around long tends to become known who they really are anyway. Like me.

What would you do, require people to put up their name and picture? people would forge the information. I don't know of any good check you could do unless you made it a pay site (even $1 for lifetime membership) and had to pay with a credit card or provide some form of ID. I guess that'd make the names real...but I bet the users, especially during the work day, would decrease significantly.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
That's making the assumption the only people getting flamed in FC are members of FC.

That's all based on technicalities. Is the "forum owner" the one providing the space, or the one paying chump change to get their "own" forum? That's probably the main concern. We don't know who would be culpable based on the laws and whatnot. There aren't really any solid laws on this anyway.

I think the laws would be hard pressed to make one responsible for something they don't have access to. Make the person paying the chump change for the personal forum sign a release stating that they are aware of and will be held accountable for any legal action taken against anything that occurs in their personal forum.

Beta84

They're out to get us
I think the laws would be hard pressed to make one responsible for something they don't have access to. Make the person paying the chump change for the personal forum sign a release stating that they are aware of and will be held accountable for any legal action taken against anything that occurs in their personal forum.

If you own the server, you can access anything and everything on it. Anything you don't have access to is by choice.