Let's talk about the 'uptick rule'

Having seen some changes in the guidelines which govern fair value measurements last week, we now turn our attention to short sales.

The SEC is set to take up that issue today, and consider several measures which might limit short sales - the most oft-discussed of which is the possible revival of some version of the 'uptick rule'.

I don't think it hurts to reinstate it (other than on principle), but neither do I think it is likely to have as large a practical effect as some suggest. It could however, have a meaningful 'feel good' impact on general market sentiments. With the current trade platforms, it is possible to trade equities in very small increments. Sometimes, I trade stocks with a bid or ask containing 4 decimal places, on the dollar, per share (i.e. 1/100th of a cent - $0.8524/share). The potential effect of the uptick rule, in this environment, is significantly less than it was when stocks were traded in increments of eighths of a dollar, or even pennies. The rule may have a greater effect if it is bid based, as opposed to sale based. To be clear though, it will have an effect, the question is how much of one.

There are other measures being considered, such as a so-called 'circuit breaker', which would restrict short sales when an equity's price has fallen more than a certain percentage in a given time period. That kind of regulation would probably have more potential impact, for better or worse.

Placing small restrictions on short sales will probably be okay. However, we should be careful not to go too far. Short selling plays a very important role in keeping the markets healthy, and preventing dangerous bubbles which could burst with devastating consequences. All of the bubble bursts that we've seen in the last couple of decades, would almost certainly have been worse, if the precipitating bubble inflations had occurred in 'short-free' environments.

When it comes to short selling, we need to distinguish between two very different activities. One, being the recognition (or belief), for whatever reason, that the market has a over-valued something, being one of the early investors with the courage to point it out with your wallet (in spite of the consensus that you are wrong), and then earning financial rewards for your service, if you are right. That is fundamentally no different than recognizing that something is under-valued, and getting long in it, then being rewarded if you were right.

The other activity is not based on an honest belief that something is undervalued - but rather, it is a straight out attempt to manipulate the price of something in order to make money on the price's movement. In order to do this, people who understand how the markets work, take actions to intentionally drive down the price of a stock, despite the fact that it may have been appropriately priced to begin with. That can't always been done, but there are certainly situations where it can, and these market manipulators know how to recognize those opportunities when they do exist, and they have enough resources and knowledge to effectuate their 'bear raids'. But again, this is fundamentally no different than manipulating somethings price to the upside through various 'long' techniques.

For practical purposes, it would be good for the later activity to be curbed, because it can do damage to the markets, and more importantly, the nation's business environment. However, it would be very dangerous to limit the former activity, because it is essential to the health of the markets, and to the nation's business environment. So, therein lies the problem - how do you create regulations that can effectively differentiate the two? The answer is, you probably can't - so we just try to do the best we can. That probably means that we have to limit our regulatory efforts to those measures which will have only a marginal effect on both activities (although, it is probably true that the uptick rule would effect the later activity more than it would effect the former).

As a more general notion - when is it okay to restrict 'good' or 'acceptable' behavior, because we can't legislatively distinguish it from 'bad' or unacceptable' behavior, so that our only options are to allow both, or restrict both? That's a can or worms that we often find ourselves sorting through. Is the inability to legislatively distinguish actives, a sufficient excuse to restrict those activities which we otherwise would not have chosen to?

Back to the topic at hand. We will probably get some version of the uptick rule back. On the whole, that's probably good - the harm is limited, and the benefits are real, notwithstanding any debate over the depth and breadth of those benefits. But, again, we should not go to far - because doing so would be bad. As someone who is fairly active in the markets, I can say that I, for one, would be less inclined to hold a long-term position in a particular equity, if I knew that it wasn't open to short selling. For various reasons, short selling provides stability and limits volatility.

One last note, we shouldn't expect any uptick rule to be implemented soon. With modern trading platforms, it will take a while to work out the mechanisms.

So, what do the rest of you think with regard to short sale restrictions?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So, what do the rest of you think with regard to short sale restrictions?

Well, you covered all the pertinent points.

Ever since the 90's when it became in fashion to reward execs more so with stocks and options rather than straight pay checks and bonuses, we switched from an income/expense economy to a asset/liability economy. We went from PL statements to balance sheets being god.

This exposes a HUGE educational weakness in Americans; we don't know #### about the markets when it comes to balance sheets, asset classes, long term, short term, non revenue generating assets and so on and on and on and whenever there is a broad based lack of knowledge, that provides opportunity for this WITH the knowledge, thus abuse.

Everyone knows, or knew, how to judge a product and a company on profit and loss. Not very many on asset and liability, especially reading those tea leaves. Especially when regulations and accounting procedures obscure as much as they reveal.

So, fundamentally, we have an economy now designed for the Enron's, the Madoffs, the Fanny and Freddy, The AIG, the Lehman, the international connections, and so on and so forth to game the system as far as the American people are concerned.

Obviously, very much of this stuff does make sense and is good for the economy regardless of how many people actually understand it. However, lack of transparency, and knowledge is transparency, is fraught with the danger of the thing that matters most; widespread collapse of confidence, justified or otherwise.

In short, what good is it if we, the people don't even understand our own freaking economy?

You ask an excellent question, however, I see it as a micro question when the macro, the bigger picture, is rebuilding the economy that not only belongs to us all, but that we understand how it works and our place in it as a nation and not a small collection of advantage takers.

:buddies:

BTW: As far as uptick and shorting, my real worry is the non users that get in to solely make a buck. We had regulations to deal with that that we removed in 2000. I'd think about putting them back as a reasonable action as opposed to my pie in the sky fantasies. :lol:

Pete

Repete
Do you really think the uptick rule will make that much difference? Back in the pre-internet days when news and press releases were not instant and voluminous there was a greater focus on the trending price. This would make sense to uptick shorting because the single most valuable indicator of a stocks "feel good factor" could be influenced by the sale itself.

Now days market manipulation by shorters with mass volumes of legitimate information as well as volumes of information created solely to manipulate a stock price to make a short sale pay off to me would negate the need for an uptick rule.

In a prefect market the uptick rule would flatten out the curve today not so much.

Last edited:
BTW: As far as uptick and shorting, my real worry is the non users that get in to solely make a buck. We had regulations to deal with that that we removed in 2000. I'd think about putting them back as a reasonable action as opposed to my pie in the sky fantasies. :lol:

Those pie in the sky fantasies would be what? Are you referring to people actually understanding the economy and the markets? :lmao:

Do you really think the uptick rule will make that much difference? Back in the pre-internet days when news and press releases were not instant and voluminous there was a greater focus on the trending price. This would make sense to uptick shorting because the single most valuable indicator of a stocks "feel good factor" could be influenced by the sale itself.

Now days market manipulation by shorters with mass volumes of legitimate information as well as volumes of information created solely to manipulate a stock price to make a short sale pay off to me would negate the need for an uptick rule.

In a prefect market the uptick rule would flatten out the curve today not so much.

In general, I think its effect would be fairly marginal. As I mentioned before, stocks trade in such small increments, that a tick either way could mean very little. Of course, they could enforce the rule using a bigger tick increment - such as 5 cents. But, any increment large enough to have a significant effect, would probably be too onerous for legitimate shorts. I just don't think that is a good idea. And, no matter what size you make the increment, it is going to affect stocks of different values to vastly different degrees. (I suspect a percentage based increment would be cumbersome to implement.)

It's worth pointing out, that any attempt to significantly limit short selling (out of a desire to curb manipulative activities), just shifts the balance of power toward the longs - and makes the markets more susceptible to manipulation in that direction. The issue here is market manipulation, and it makes little difference whether it comes in long or short form.

SEC Proposes 5 Curbs to Short-Selling

I think the best possible option would be one of the 'circuit breaker' options, where the uptick rule only kicks in when a stock falls a certain percentage (maybe even as little as 5%).

If it was done that way, then you could require the short ask to be higher than the current bid (as opposed to higher than the last sell price). In this way, the requirement would be less likely to interfere with normal shorting activity, but it would be more effective when it was in force. I think this embodiment would better focus the restrictions on the goal - limiting the potency of manipulative 'bear raiding'.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's worth pointing out, that any attempt to significantly limit short selling (out of a desire to curb manipulative activities), just shifts the balance of power toward the longs - and makes the markets more susceptible to manipulation in that direction. The issue here is market manipulation, and it makes little difference whether it comes in long or short form.

That's EXACTLY right; I've made this point again and again; Short and long are equal and opposite and it's just that simple. The problem is we, the people, don't instantly and readily see it that way. I know I don't.

Long; We know, right away. Buy it because you think it's gonna go up and you sell later for a profit, the difference between buy and sell.

Short; We should know, right away, that we wanna buy it because we think it will go down and then sell it and make a profit on the difference between buy and sell.

However, when we go long, we have this built in understanding that there will be ups and downs. We just accept the downs as part of the deal when there is no way we'd accept the ups if we're going short, we're scared to death of the ups in that case.

We, the people, don't know enough. If we did, market discipline would be WAY better all by itself.