Charges dismissed due to botched autopsy

mindy

I'm glad that the mom finally got justice but still :twitch: because she put her stillborn baby in a plastic container and left it in the back of her SUV for several days.

Murder charge dismissed in Ala. baby death

She was probably scared exactly this would happen, especially if she had him at home alone. "Normal" people think theres issues and that the mama is on drugs and wants to kill the baby if they are stillborn, or if they have the baby at home, or at home alone, or anywhere other than you know, where people are supposed to go if theyre SICK.
Not that the back of an SUV is a good choice, but also, maybe she panicked and didnt want to be charged and wanted to grieve. I don't blame her, though like I said, that wasn't the best place to put the baby...

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
She was probably scared exactly this would happen, especially if she had him at home alone. "Normal" people think theres issues and that the mama is on drugs and wants to kill the baby if they are stillborn, or if they have the baby at home, or at home alone, or anywhere other than you know, where people are supposed to go if theyre SICK.
Not that the back of an SUV is a good choice, but also, maybe she panicked and didnt want to be charged and wanted to grieve. I don't blame her, though like I said, that wasn't the best place to put the baby...

Lee, who has suffered from depression and bipolar disorder, admitted she committed adultery and became pregnant while married with two children. When the baby arrived stillborn, she did not seek medical help but instead panicked. She placed the newborn in a plastic container and left it for several days in the back of her sport utility vehicle.

Lee said she feared being convicted and executed, but prosecutors said they didn't intend to seek the death penalty. Still, she could have faced life in prison without parole.

Police found out about the baby when a couple who had been lined up to adopt the child called authorities. Lee told police what happened, but Stern's autopsy concluded the baby was suffocated.

This is a very complex story.

mindy

Why seek medical attention if the baby is DEAD?
What use is that by that point? "Yep, he's dead!" Uhh.. I'm sure she could do that.

Yeah, it is definitely a complex story for sure though!

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
What use is that by that point? "Yep, he's dead!" Uhh.. I'm sure she could do that.

If she was too stupid and distraught to inform the authorities (which is the law, by the way) she should have at least informed the couple that was primed to adopt the baby. Just as a courtesy, you know?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

I completely disagree with you. First, if I had a baby anywhere, I wouldn't trust myself to say the baby was dead. Not all babies cry the moment they are born. I've seen kids born that were limp dishrags and it took quite the manipulations by doctors and nurses to finally get them going and moving. Secondly, assuming that she had any "loving" feelings for this baby, she would never stick it in a plastic bin and let it rot in her SUV. That is just wrong on so many levels. That is disgusting. Third, it would never cross my mind that I would get charged with a crime unless I thought I was guilty of something. If I believed I had a stillborn child, I would call 911 immediately. An autopsy can determine how the baby died, therefore ruling out any blame on the mother.

This lady was embarressed that she got caught having an affair and a child resulted from it. I believe that she would have tried to get rid of the "problem" regardless and I am just happy that God decided to take the baby himself and not let it suffer whatever means this lady had in mind to end its life once it was born. I am just sorry that that poor thing had to rot away and not be buried with the love and respect it deserved. It's not the baby's fault.

Being the daughter-in-law of a pastor and church organist for almost 12yrs, I can tell you that alot of the most involved people in a church are probably the looniest ones too.

MMDad

Lem Putt

Most women who miscarry seek medical attention because there can be complications that will kill them.

Most women will also seek medical attention when they start early labor in order to save the baby. The baby may have been saved if trained help was there.

Since the autopsy was botched, we don't know if the baby was murdered. Her actions sound like she is guilty, but she will not face a jury.

The OP said she is glad the mother finally got justice. I disagree. Justice would be knowing the facts, and facing those facts. That did not happen, and the baby will never get justice.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Most women who miscarry seek medical attention because there can be complications that will kill them.

Most women will also seek medical attention when they start early labor in order to save the baby. The baby may have been saved if trained help was there.

Since the autopsy was botched, we don't know if the baby was murdered. Her actions sound like she is guilty, but she will not face a jury.

The OP said she is glad the mother finally got justice. I disagree. Justice would be knowing the facts, and facing those facts. That did not happen, and the baby will never get justice.

They do know some facts. It was determined (by experts) that the baby was stillborn and the "bruising" the ME saw was actually decomposition. Granted, we don't know why the baby was stillborn. Now that I've thought about it for a day, maybe justice isn't the right word. I'm thinking now that she just got lucky that the baby was stillborn. She might have done something while it was still in the womb to insure that it would be born dead. The fact that she let it rot in her SUV proves that she wasn't completely innocent.

ImnoMensa

I agree with the person that said no matter what the reson for the death they wouldnt put the body in a plastic container.