FDA: Morning After Pill OK'd for 17 Year Olds

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
Plan B: The birth control pill will be made available to 17-year-olds - Los Angeles Times

"WASHINGTON -- The Food and Drug Administration, reversing field, will allow 17-year-olds get the 'morning-after' birth control pill without a doctor's prescription, a government health official said today.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the agency will comply with a federal judge's order overturning a Bush administration policy that restricted access. The official was not authorized to speak publicly before the FDA announcement, expected later today.

Last month, U.S. District Judge Edward Korman ruled in a New York lawsuit that Bush administration appointees let politics, not science, drive their decision to allow over-the-counter access to the pills only for women 18 and older. Korman ordered the agency to let 17-year-olds get the medication, and separately to evaluate whether all age restrictions should be lifted.

The FDA's latest action does not mean that the pill will be immediately available to 17-year-olds. The manufacturer must first submit a request, but the agency is indicating that it will approve the change.

Plan B is emergency contraception that contains a high dose of birth control drugs and will not interfere with an established pregnancy. Religious conservatives say it's the equivalent of an abortion pill because it can prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

But they still have to have a prescription.

This is bull####. I can't wait until the first kid dies because of improper use and their parents sue the #### out of the government.

And now I have to go say some cusswords. Be back in a few.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
“Look, I got two daughters — 9 years old and 6 years old,” he said. “I am going to teach them first about values and morals, but if they make a mistake, I don’t want them punished with a baby.

The age of Obama

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, I'm back.

It will be interesting to see what they charge for this pill. I mean, if kids are going to be getting it without parental notification or a prescription, that means they'll be paying out of pocket.

Wouldn't it be hysterical if the manufacturer took a loss on this in order to make it more accessible to poor teens, yet still kept the price of life-saving drugs sky high?

:killingme

B

Beaver-Cleaver

This is bull####. I can't wait until the first kid dies because of improper use and their parents sue the #### out of the government.

Really? You're complaining about deficits that we'll have to pay -- but you want someone to sue the #### out of the government? :rolleyes:

And now I have to go say some cusswords. Be back in a few.

Y'all take this stuff way too seriously. :killingme

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not true. They go to the health department and walk out with a few months worth of pills AND a bag of rubbers.

Really? When I was a sneaky kid, you had to go to Planned Parenthood and get a gyno, then the doctor would give you the pill.

Really? When I was a sneaky kid, you had to go to Planned Parenthood and get a gyno, then the doctor would give you the pill.
It's completely true... and as for the rubbers we aren't talking about just regular generic condoms either.... they've got flavored, glow in the dark, ribbed, lubbed, ticklers, etc. etc. and you can get flavored lubes, dental guards and female condoms to boot.

I know all of this cause I have a friend who works in the health department and there was someone I know from here (the forums) who asked me to get her a big ole goodie bag full of stuff because she was having a "girl's night out" bachlorette party for a "friend and she wanted them as gag favors... only to find out months later that she was cheating on her husband and now I'll always wonder if they were really "party favors" or did I supply her with the goods for her liasons...:ohwell:

Oh yeah... there was even a "morning after pill" in the bag of stuff I gave her.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's completely true... and as for the rubbers we aren't talking about just regular generic condoms either.... they've got flavored, glow in the dark, ribbed, lubbed, ticklers, etc. etc. and you can get flavored lubes, dental guards and female condoms to boot.

I know all of this cause I have a friend who works in the health department and there was someone I know from here (the forums) who asked me to get her a big ole goodie bag full of stuff because she was having a "girl's night out" bachlorette party for a "friend and she wanted them as gag favors... only to find out months later that she was cheating on her husband and now I'll always wonder if they were really "party favors" or did I supply her with the goods for her liasons...:ohwell:

Oh yeah... there was even a "morning after pill" in the bag of stuff I gave her.

rubbers. :killingme

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Amazing, isn't it? They have to have permission to get their ears pierced or a tattoo, but they can get birth control without parental permission. And they can get birth control right at the health department, too. Nothing a parent can say about it.

This is the way our country has been going for 20 (or more) years. Thank you, Gloria Steinem, NOW, et. al.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I don't know about St. Mary's, but a friend of mine here in Calvert said her daughter got them as a senior in HS a few years ago. (5?) I guess it's still the case. She was totally shocked when her daughter told her where & how she got them. And there wasn't anything she could do about it, either.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I don't have a problem with this. In the big scheme of things, it will mean less welfare babies on my tax dollar.

molly_21

I think it is a catch-22. Kids can buy condom's thinking they are doing the correct thing (and sometimes they fail). Then of course kids do not and realize they messed up and are trying to resolve the problem before the parents find out. Either a) parents get mad because their daughter took the pill and they did not know about it or b) daughter has baby and parents are mad about that. So what is the solution? What is the lessor of two evils?

bcp

In My Opinion
? What is the lessor of two evils?
I think the solution is to get the government out of child rearing and let the parents do their job in the best way they can.
Sorta like it worked back in the day when Americans were free, the country wasnt socilist and we were all doing better.